• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger Ordnance M5 DBM with AW mags?

Thumper91

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2023
MINNESOTA
cults3d.com
Hey all! So Im looking for advice. I have an a Badger Ordnance M5 DBM bottom metal to mate with my M2013. I ordered some AI stamped AW mags because the m2013 has double feed Ramps. My problem is that there is a ton of vertical play in the magazine that makes it impossible for the bolt to catch a round when cycling. I contacted Marty and he shipped me supposedly an extended magazine latch but unfortunately it's the same size as the one currently installed. So, what are my options? Could I spot weld then grind a new catch on my magazines, weld on an extension onto my mag latch, or maybe shorten the pillars? Any advice or real world experience on the subject would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231206-132551.png
    Screenshot_20231206-132551.png
    966.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20231206-132547.png
    Screenshot_20231206-132547.png
    991 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20231206-132543.png
    Screenshot_20231206-132543.png
    875.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20231206-132801.png
    Screenshot_20231206-132801.png
    781.9 KB · Views: 74
If you hold the mag up, does it feed? And its only when it is allowed to drop down that it does not?

You have two mag latches that are the same length, the cross pin hole is in the same location too?

If so then I would say to weld onto one of the mag catches longer than need be and grind to perfect fit. You ave two latches, if you mess one up youve got a replacement already.

I wouldnt change the pillar height as it’s likely set correctly for aics mags unless you are fine with forgoing and recourse from that choice. Id certainly make sure I got it all together right out of the stock before further inletting the stock or bedding it.

Edit: Listen to Terry

Last edited:
If you hold the mag up, does it feed? And its only when it is allowed to drop down that it does not?

You have two mag latches that are the same length, the cross pin hole is in the same location too?
If so then I would say to weld onto one of the mag catches longer than need be and grind to perfect fit. You ave two latches, if you mess one up youve got a replacement already.

I wouldnt change the pillar height as its likely set correctly for aics mags unless you are fine with forgoing and recourse from that choice. Id certainly make sure I got it all together right out of the stock before further inletting the stock or bedding it.
Correct. It will feed if I push up on the magazine but it misses if the magazine is in the lowest spot. I just did some digging and the mag latch appears to be made out of aluminum...which kinda throws the possibility of welding it myself as I don't have a TIG welder. But yes I have two identical mag latches. I currently don't have a stock for it yet nor a barrel. I'm still in the early stages of my build, but I plan on ordering a manners stock for it. I also have two sets of pillars as well.

Reactions: spife7980
Hey all! So Im looking for advice. I have an a Badger Ordnance M5 DBM bottom metal to mate with my M2013. I ordered some AI stamped AW mags because the m2013 has double feed Ramps. My problem is that there is a ton of vertical play in the magazine that makes it impossible for the bolt to catch a round when cycling. I contacted Marty and he shipped me supposedly an extended magazine latch but unfortunately it's the same size as the one currently installed. So, what are my options? Could I spot weld then grind a new catch on my magazines, weld on an extension onto my mag latch, or maybe shorten the pillars? Any advice or real world experience on the subject would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

I think you could possibly be 0.190" off of where you should be.
Your pillars do not look correct.

I have. The pillars I have are badger Ordnance pillars and in spec for the action.
Your action does not take the standard pillar lengths that would be normal for R700 and R700 clone receivers.

The 2008 and 2013 actions have 0.190 extensions at the front and back stock bolt holes. If not accounted for, these increase the Z-axis offset by that amount. This is where your problem is.

Reactions: B y r o n
I do not think the pillars are correct.

Terry, believe it or not I second guessed myself but I haven’t had a M2013 for the last 6-8 years. I just looked at the trigger shoe in the guard and assumed (incorrectly) that all looked swell. Thanks to folks like you guys can actually get things trouble-shot around here!

Reactions: Terry Cross
MDT now sells an M5 compatible bottom metal the an adjustable mag catch similar to the one on their ACC Elite chassis:

MDT_BottomMetalPR_05__73967.1695941825.jpg
I do not think it will matter in this case.
Doubtful that an adjustable latch will have enough range to handle the excessive offset.

I'm thinking that if the OP orders a stock from a reputable company with the correct top and bottom inlet offsets, the issue will become very, very apparent when attempting to dry fit the components with the pillars he is in possession of.