• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger vs Surgeon vs AWM for a 338 lapua?????

Re: Badger vs Surgeon vs AWM for a 338 lapua?????

Nothing comes for free. Three lugs lift harder and 2 lugs lift longer. I like my Surgeons.

No brainer!!! Get a Surgeon; because you can't get a Badger! Both well made.

Bill
There is no doubt that a custom gun is going to be much more accurate than a "factory produced" one, although AI is not exactly your garden variety factory manufacturer. I like the AIAWSM, because it is "bomb proof". It will function under just about any condition you dish out at it. For example, I was shooting in the desert a few weeks ago. The wind was gusting at about 25-30 mph. Sands were all over the place. We are talking about fine, coarse sand particles. When I work my bolt, I can see sands in the action, and I am sure in the chamber as well. Guess what, not even one malfuntion. Every time I squeeze the trigger, it goes bang and very damm accurate I may add. Too often, we strive to get a 1/4 MOA gun, but can the shooter shoot a 1/4 MOA every time? I am sure there are a few out there who can do that, but for the most part, the gun itself will outshoot the shooter most of the time. In general, AIAWSM will speak for itself. It has minor draw backs such as the twist rate, the short mag length, but over all it will perform no matter what.

Custom gun has different features. It strives on the accuracy that factory line guns can't get. But it comes with a price. The chamber is very tight to get the 1/4 MOA a shooter looking for. So, anything gets in it, you may not be able to chamber a round. Well, I am sure I will draw heat for that. But it is what it is. Surgeon actions are top notched. Badger actions look very nice, and share many similar features as the AI, but looking for a L/A is difficult. In the end, I think it comes down to personal preference. JMHO. Good luck man.

First all choices would be great. If I had to choose one.

Surgeon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Preston is very friendly and helpfull!!!

Bill, I have been trying to make the same decision. I decided on the AI AWSM. For me the great reputation, the ease of barrel changes, and the reliability of AI were the biggest factors in my decision. I have seen others here talk about their AWSM and I have never heard anything bad. The post by Lt. Arclight in this thread really impressed me also http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...9754#Post819754 I have an .308 GAP with Surgeon action and am buying an .260 GAP with Badger action so I wanted something different as well. Last, I talked to Randy at Mile High Shooting Accessories who is now a AI distributor. His quoted price certainly helped my decision
smile.gif
I really don't think there is much difference between the three choices, they all are great. Each has their own pluses and minuses.

I have the AW and I have a Badger L/A at GA right now. Both are 338 and I had GA build me a remington 338 lapua. The 700 was more accurate than the AW for sure. The AW's are great guns but they are not the end-all weapon. Im sure when I get my Badger it will be a laser also. I cant comment on the Surgeon but for 1700 just for the action thats seems a little high (flame suit on) but from what I have read excellent action none the less.

Rich

My Badger LA in 338 Lapua is almost done, it was my choice out of those three...

I have a surgeon and i love it. If the badger is any better it would have to shoot a .0000001 group for me to get it over a surgeon.

I could not agree more w/ DesertHK with respects to the durability of the AI; however, it is not a .338. I too was shooting in a very arid environment recently & the wind kicked up to 25 mph. The blowing sand was so bad that it toasted a digital camera by getting into the automatic zoom lens.

I am not here to bash other makes & models; however, suffice to say that I friend of mine was shooting a non-AI rifle & the sand latterly locked-up his action… meanwhile I just kept shooting. When I got home & opened my butler creek scope caps & there was well over a tablespoon of sand in it. I then had to take off my suppressor & shake the sand out.

Since then all I have done is used some compressed air to clean out the sand & put a little oil on the bolt and it still shoots like a champ. Ultimately, if you go with an AI, I feel confident that you will not regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the AW and I have a Badger L/A at GA right now. Both are 338 and I had GA build me a remington 338 lapua. The 700 was more accurate than the AW for sure. The AW's are great guns but they are not the end-all weapon. Im sure when I get my Badger it will be a laser also. I cant comment on the Surgeon but for 1700 just for the action thats seems a little high (flame suit on) but from what I have read excellent action none the less.

Rich </div></div>

Doesnt the $1700 also buy the bottom metal and a mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the AW and I have a Badger L/A at GA right now. Both are 338 and I had GA build me a remington 338 lapua. The 700 was more accurate than the AW for sure. The AW's are great guns but they are not the end-all weapon. Im sure when I get my Badger it will be a laser also. I cant comment on the Surgeon but for 1700 just for the action thats seems a little high (flame suit on) but from what I have read excellent action none the less.

Rich </div></div>

Doesnt the $1700 also buy the bottom metal and a mag?</div></div> \

yes it does

I am certain Surgeon has the "sand in the action" thing worked out!

Thanks for all of the input thisis not an easy decision to make , agree the AWM is a great platform and will function at all times , the more precision we chase the tighter tollerances we have to have .
Still mulling it over
Bill

This is really a tough decision. I was in a similar quagmire, except I wanted one of the aforementioned actions in 308. I finally decided on the Badger; it offered the qualities of a custom gun with the robustness of the AI.

Good luck in making your decision.

With out a doubt the AI!! If you want one hole accuracy and your rifle doesnt do it out of the box, just order a custom barrel from one of the top smiths here and put it on yourself..

This is what I did. My AI .338 shoots very,very well. Ask ATB how his AI AWSM that Jerod rebarreled shoots.

I did not think of the custom barrel in the AI
Just checked and the pricing for the 338 lap is very resonalble from mile high there an auth AI dealer
I was surprised
Bill