• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision BAE OASYS UTM-X

Barn Side

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
I have a chance to buy one with Wilcox quick mounts & would like to use it as a clip on in front of my Tangent Theta 5-25 on my AI AXMC for night hunting. Just wondering how do they go accuracy and repeatability wise?
Is there a better clip on I should be looking at?

UTM-x is not a "clip on" ... while it can be used as such in an "emergency" ... that is not its design purpose. It has no collimated risley prisms on the rear lens assembly like real clipons such as PVS-30 or UTC-x. UTM-x design purpose is thermal monocular (spotter) though it can be used as a thermal scope in a pinch.

Repeatability is more a function of the mounts and mounting process. The wilcox mounts are generally famous for their wobble.

Further the old, original manufacture BAE OASYS units have no warranty coverage. The OASYS program was shut down in 2017.

Also, TT 5-25x is a tall order to put a thermal clipon in front of ... most thermal clipons are stretched to even get to 5x much less beyond.

The old FLIR T-75, the new LWTS-LR (which might be available in months to years), the old BAE UTC-x, the olde N-VIsion Optics TC-50/TC-50a can do 8x plus support on the day optic, but all those are virtually impossible to find ... aka "unobtainium".

==

If you want to night hunt, another option is to get a second rifle and put a dedicated thermal scope on it. That's what many folks are doing, such as the Trijicon Electro Optic units or the new N-Vision Optic HALO units.

And for a lower price range, there are the Pulsar units.

Last edited:
Depending on your terrain, you might be able to use PVS-30 or PVS-27 type NV clipons, they can support day scope magnification in excess of 15x. But work best in open terrain.

Wig,
Is the UTM-X able to utilize an external battery or are you limited to 123's?

I am not aware of any off the shelf solution for the OASYS units. So requires a custom battery cap/plug. But if you make one of those that fits, then the 3rd party packs that use the cap/plug connections should work.

Circa 2010----- in very low numbers. No major contracts....most were already filled with UTM units....and SkeetIR's. They were also using the old armory PAS13's for longer range and Insight LWTS.
No current battery pack extensions that I know of....however...battery time is pretty decent ... How many hours do you plan to be using the unit for scanning? After a hour or so...I already am experiencing fatigue.....