• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors baffle strike on 308 suppressor mounted on AR-10

sigyman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
MCKINNEY,TEXAS!!!!
this isn't mine as I don't have one yet but damn this just sucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ-KG1odvLs

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0006_firstbafflehit.jpg

DSC_0002_edited.jpg

Re: baffle strike on 308 suppressor mounted on AR-10

Watch the video and listen closely ... there was actually 2 strikes atleast. The second shot you hear a ping .. and the third shot just blows it off. Now the really shiity thing ... that was a form 4 can that was in the process of being transfered.

Boltripper thinks....the thread job was not concentric to the center-line of the bore........i have seen this before....from famous piston rifle manufacturer !

Wow.. that sucks.

Re: baffle strike on 308 suppressor mounted on AR-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boltripper thinks....the thread job was not concentric to the center-line of the bore........i have seen this before....from famous piston rifle manufacturer ! </div></div>

there is a whole thread on this over on arfcom ... I will see if I can dig it up. But from what I remember it wasnt the first few rounds .... it was pretty deep into the day. I think the can worked its way loose.

i have also known of one going 50yd because of a bad weld.....of course it was a .300WM

Wow, the guys laughing in the background are a real class act. That'd damned near bring a tear to me eye for it to happen to anyone if I was there.

So the can blows apart, the cover if off and you get a rare look.

A good structural engineer looks at this and thinks, wtf.

A good material engineer looks at this and thinks, wtf.

A good thermodynamics engineer looks at this and thinks, wtf.

A good design engineer looks at this and thinks, no wonder.

An intelligent person looks at this and thinks, this is worth $1,000.00 plus stamp?

supply and demand, and the government limiting who can manufacture (Form 1 's the way to go)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What brand was that? </div></div>

I believe that I read it is a Liberty can

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, the guys laughing in the background are a real class act. That'd damned near bring a tear to me eye for it to happen to anyone if I was there. </div></div>
+1...that sucks, and those fellas are fucken tools for laughing about it.

UPDATE:

It was a Liberty Suppressors can. There was no damage to the can itself, and was repaired by Liberty and back to the transferring dealer within a couple weeks. When can was returned to transfering dealer it was returned with a check to cover the shipping cost of the damaged can back to LIberty.

The can showed multiple baffle strikes atleast 3 they are saying and they are saying that South African ammo in the battle pack is what caused the problem.

after watch the video and looking at the pics I do not see how the can was not damaged. Just luck I guess. Otherwise it is another form 4 and money--and worse of all the wait.

Just glad no one was hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, the guys laughing in the background are a real class act. That'd damned near bring a tear to me eye for it to happen to anyone if I was there. </div></div>
+1...that sucks, and those fellas are fucken tools for laughing about it.</div></div>

well i think if the owner did take any offense to it, he could kick the shit out of the guys laughing and then feel a little better after losing some steam. no use crying over spilled milk

glad to hear its getting repaired but in those instances when a can is damaged beyond repair for whatever reason what are the legal hoops for disposal if any?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glad to hear its getting repaired but in those instances when a can is damaged beyond repair for whatever reason what are the legal hoops for disposal if any? </div></div>

Considering it's no longer a silencer as soon as it is incapable of muffling the report of a firearm, I'd say throwing it in the trash would be a good start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glad to hear its getting repaired but in those instances when a can is damaged beyond repair for whatever reason what are the legal hoops for disposal if any? </div></div>

Considering it's no longer a silencer as soon as it is incapable of muffling the report of a firearm, I'd say throwing it in the trash would be a good start. </div></div>

nope you are wrong because it is not the baffles that are registered as a suppressor it is the tube that is serialized and as such the tube must be destroyed by the proper people who have the proper know how and are allowed to by the ATF

Before this one gets more out of hand, hope this helps. One would contact the BATF and follow their guidance.

IMO, every part, every part...is a BATF registered part of your suppressor. Whether its a baffle, a spacer, an endcap, the serialized tube...whatever...every part. You cannot dispose of baffles, you cannot throw out the serialized tube and keep any other part. You/A Trust is responsible for the whole can, in its entirety, throughout all time, or unless you/your trust specifically contacts the BATF and they approve the destruction/loss/return to dealer of that can. There is no throwing out any "part". There is no "the serialized tube" is all your responsible for.

Every part, as purchased, for all time, or until the law changes, or until you/your trust has the approval of the BATF that your/your trust's can is no longer your / your trusts responsibility. One would contact the BATF and follow their guidance.