• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bag for brass at the range

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
Currently I use a high-tech plastic grocery bag to collect my brass for a potential reloading retirement (or I’ll just sell it). Grocery bags develop holes, of course, so I look cool dribbling brass back to my truck lol.

Thinking something that stands up by itself along with a way to cinch it shut. Also something that will hold lots of brass as I’m lazy, leave it in the truck and don’t want to empty it much.

The size requirement knocks off Cole Tac’s brass bag and a number of other things. I’m left with stuff sacks (don’t stand up), smallish tool bags, or this thing; they don’t even include cord locks wtf:

What do you guys use?

Dump pouches are handy because you can fold em back up and stick em in your bag when you empty it but if you are going by to keep it in your truck, might want to just use a small duffle bag or something like that.

Reactions: carbonbased
I have a maxpedition rolly dump pouch but it doesn’t cinch tight very well.

Maybe l’ll just use a used McD’s bag since I have so many floating around. Lol

#FattyMcD4brass4life

Currently I use a high-tech plastic grocery bag to collect my brass for a potential reloading retirement (or I’ll just sell it). Grocery bags develop holes, of course, so I look cool dribbling brass back to my truck lol.

Thinking something that stands up by itself along with a way to cinch it shut. Also something that will hold lots of brass as I’m lazy, leave it in the truck and don’t want to empty it much.

The size requirement knocks off Cole Tac’s brass bag and a number of other things. I’m left with stuff sacks (don’t stand up), smallish tool bags, or this thing; they don’t even include cord locks wtf:

What do you guys use?

A 2-1/2 gallon bucket. Or a 5 gallon one if you really need the space.

Reactions: spife7980
I picked this up at a local hardware store. It's a collapsible gardening bucket, you can set the top at an angle to catch brass and you twist it to close it. It cost about $5.
1672528183285.png

1672528218996.png

I use small mesh laundry bags with draw string. Shove 'em in, give it a shake and any dirt, etc comes out and there's no mess when emptying or leaving in your car/truck.

I picked this up at a local hardware store. It's a collapsible gardening bucket, you can set the top at an angle to catch brass and you twist it to close it. It cost about $5.View attachment 8035138
View attachment 8035144
You pick that up in Aussie-land? Here in USA I see them for $20-30.

($20 with handle)

($30)

Christ this is perfect except for the price. Even has a cinch top:

$8 and great. I keep one in all of my packs/range bags.

Midway Brass Bag- $10

Midway Competition Range Bag - $40

Use either of those, and then dump the brass into a 5 gal bucket in your truck. Or if you have an old paint can, collect brass in that and then transfer to your 5 gal bucket in the truck? Leave can and/or bag in the 5 gal bucket when not in use.
The $10 one is too small for me, and if I go the range/tool bag route, this guy is made in the USA and is almost same price as the Midway $40 at $45:

Click on the little “shop online” pic on the right to go to their online retail store. The bag above is here. Or get this simpler one for $21:

Ah shit this guy’s a damn genius:

A bit too big but hey, maybe I can find a smol. Kills two birds with one stone.

Man, what old dudes do on New Year’s Eve…search for brass bags. How the mightly have fallen yeehaw.

It’s your own brass you are collecting or range pick up? If it’s yours just get a brass catcher. If it’s others then lowes sells a nice bucket that won’t rip for 3 bucks

Take and old pair of BDU's, cut off at/around the knee and sew that shut. You can use the draw strings on the leg to close it. I have one that a buddy used old pack draw cords in place of the pant cuff strings, has the locking tab on it. You can also hit Home Depot and get a tool bag for 10 or even on Amazon. Or you can brag about an $80 one you picked up--

Reactions: ma smith
You pick that up in Aussie-land? Here in USA I see them for $20-30.

($20 with handle)

($30)
Maybe it was more expensive? It's handy whatever the case (y)

My “truck” is a mid-sized SUV. If I had a full-size pickup then a 5 gal bucket would be the ticket. Here’s why I just ordered the Tuff bag I already linked to way above. Sorry I didn’t mention some criteria earlier:
  • The bag has to fit in a small-ish spot, like the diameter of a US windshield washer fluid container.
  • It’s got to be flexible so other stuff can push against it (maximizing the little space I have).
  • A lid is nice so it doesn’t spill.
  • Should stand up by itself; easier to pour brass into.
  • Has to be around 10”+ tall so it doesn’t fill up in a few range trips.
  • Can’t be hard plastic because of rattling (guessing here)
  • Mesh bottom is nice to get rid of most dirt in one step.
Those pop-up laundry hampers (or a real brass catcher) would be nice but they are too big. Trying to minimize the shit I hoof. So I’m going to go lo-fi and hang a crapped out ballcap or hobo cloth from my elevation turret to deflect the brass on the bench, which is carpet-covered at my range.

For pdog shooting I might get one of the $$$ brass catcher options, but for the bench I tote enough crap as is. The more stuff I carry to the range the less I want to go.

If @Enough Said eventually makes a brass bag thing, I might buy it. He makes nice bags!

Saw this somewhere else on the hide, made me smile:

Last edited:
$8 and great. I keep one in all of my packs/range bags.

This.

You can shake out just about all the debris.

My “truck” is a mid-sized SUV. If I had a full-size pickup then a 5 gal bucket would be the ticket. Here’s why I just ordered the Tuff bag I already linked to way above. Sorry I didn’t mention some criteria earlier:
  • The bag has to fit in a small-ish spot, like the diameter of a US windshield washer fluid container.
  • It’s got to be flexible so other stuff can push against it (maximizing the little space I have).
  • A lid is nice so it doesn’t spill.
  • Should stand up by itself; easier to pour brass into.
  • Has to be around 10”+ tall so it doesn’t fill up in a few range trips.
  • Can’t be hard plastic because of rattling (guessing here)
  • Mesh bottom is nice to get rid of most dirt in one step.
It may be a little late...not sure but check this out from Duluth Trading Co

I have it in my RAV4 and checks a number of those boxes regarding foot print, height, draw string closure, self standing, collapsible, and relatively flexible.

• Love
It may be a little late...not sure but check this out from Duluth Trading Co

I have it in my RAV4 and checks a number of those boxes regarding foot print, height, draw string closure, self standing, collapsible, and relatively flexible.
Holy cow I need that for trash in my car! I’m one of those guys that, yes, has a grocery bag wrapped around my 4wd shifter for trash. I’m no clean freak, that’s for sure.

Although…for wet stuff I guess I’d have to line that thing with a grocery bag anyway. Hmmm.

Crown Royal bags are the Shintz! a small circle or square of cardboard in the bottom and you are gtg.
Yeah but first you have to dump out all of your dope (the illegal kind).

I use small mesh laundry bags with draw string. Shove 'em in, give it a shake and any dirt, etc comes out and there's no mess when emptying or leaving in your car/truck.
This is what I have been using for 15+ years

Ah shit this guy’s a damn genius:

A bit too big but hey, maybe I can find a smol. Kills two birds with one stone.

Man, what old dudes do on New Year’s Eve…search for brass bags. How the mightly have fallen yeehaw.

That would be the end of your range membership where I shoot, loaded firearm pointing anywhere but down range! You wouldn’t be shooting on my farm either, good grief.

I am all for spending money on nice gear, but this doesn't have to be complicated. I bought one of these almost 3 years ago and it still looks new after 25-30 matches and just as many range trips.

WOLF TACTICAL Drawstring MOLLE Dump Pouch - EDC Drop Bag for Ammo, Magazines, Range Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Sports https://a.co/d/gMLpIvn

Reactions: Randall3rd

What do you guys use?
1672676343834.jpeg

I use a Caldwell brass catcher on my AR and dump the brass back into the ammo box it came out of... 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Southernspeed
Vinyl bank deposit bags are great for both loaded ammo as well as spent brass.

I'm lazy and seldom shoot from one position. Don't care to walk around and pick up 390-400 brass. I throw down ground sheets that catch most. Grab the four corners and bundle them up when finished.

Reactions: CK1.0
I'm lazy and seldom shoot from one position. Don't care to walk around and pick up 390-400 brass. I throw down ground sheets that catch most. Grab the four corners and bundle them up when finished.
this is what we did at pistol matches/practice when there were heavy shooting positions. big tarp is convenient

I always have a big blue tarp in the truck for catching brass when practicing with blaster stuff, it comes in especially handy with the PCC since I can go through ~500rds in half an hour lol.

Never been so poor or cheap I can't afford $30.
But it doesnt hold multiple gallons of brass... as was discussed in the opening post.

And dont say to "just buy 5 of them then"

The size requirement knocks off Cole Tac’s brass bag and a number of other things.
These are perfect and hold atleast a days worth of brass for a PRS match. https://www.cole-tac.com/product/brass-bag/

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: FuhQ and b6graham