• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bag rider install question.

Taylorbok

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2017
Sask, Canada
I have a Mcmillan fiberglass stock and had a piece of round bar milled to work as a bag rider, I am wondering what kind of threaded insert I can put into the but piece to use to bolt it to. I was thinking something like this but curious if there is something better or something else I should use

1653590596352.jpeg

reason for bag rider is to add weight, will also be adding a heavy arca rail to the front

Brownells sells threaded inserts, think they are 10-32 thread pitch. Not sure that will be sufficient for a bagrider though.

Reactions: acudaowner
I can't believe no one had info/input on this.
I went ahead with my inserts, I ended up having to drill the hole just under the major thread diameter so the threads barely engaged to avoid cracking the fiber glass, then I used JB weld to epoxy them in. seems to be sturdy, Time will tell.

Reactions: acudaowner
I defiantly like the look of the diy self made over the over priced sold on brownells bag rider .

eb5f344e5de06a44edbf89cf4251b485.gif

I used those stainless inserts pictured in the opening post for some sling mounts on a wooden stock I made. I also just decided to drill the holes big and epoxy them in. I tried a scrap piece from the same blank with the recommended drill sizes and was unable to get them to thread in straight, on location, and/or without cracking the wood.