• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bags/affordable sled for refining zeros.

GreenMushroom

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2020
Washington
Looking for something to be able to better test the zero on my rifles. Primarily wanting to test the return to zero on different quick disconnect mounts with adjustable tension. Also want to test the accuracy of my different barrels without the me factor in the calculation.

Primarily 556 gas guns. Have a couple 9mm pistols (banshee/scorpion) and if it works with those great but it's not a major factor. Normally zero prone on a bipod or pack/log whatever. My original thought was front and rear bags but in my searches the sled things came up. These interested me since I constantly shoot my mrp far better than my other rifles and it's essential it's own sled.

I always figured sleds were expensive but ones like the Caldwell led sled 3 are around 150$ which seems to good to be true but they seem to get really good reviews. If I'm understanding these you clamp the rifle in and there's a screw for elevation and you just move the sled for windage? Is it preferable to get a sled with adjustable windage if I'm willing to spend a bit more?

Fuck that Caldwell POS. Get a Slingshot, or any one of the Grizzly Machine Co. Rests.

1/3 of what a Sinclair rest costs, with just about all the same features.

Fuck that Caldwell POS. Get a Slingshot, or any one of the Grizzly Machine Co. Rests.

1/3 of what a Sinclair rest costs, with just about all the same features.

I'm looking at the slingshot and cast iron Y rest. Are these basically the same thing except for the material and thus the weight? I figured heavier is better but just shooting 556 idk if it matters.

The Sinclair heavy varmint rest looks nice also and is <500$. Going into this I figured it would be 1k+ for something decent so I'm pleasantly surprised by the pricing.

Reactions: simonp
Heavier is better unless you’re lugging 100lbs of shit to the range…. For what you’re doing anything they make will work well. Then like a Protektor rear bag to anchor the stock and you’re in business.

No matter what you’ll likely find yourself lugging 100 pounds of stuff to the range! Lol

Besides the gear you’ll need to find a way to set it up to make sure everything slides smoothly. Remove everything from the rails and stock that might hang up the guns moving, may need to cover the rail with something too so the holes don’t catch on the sled’s leather. It’s a pita to be honest - working the same problems / process myself

I may be off on this one, but it seems to me using a sled is like a bag or mechanical rest when dialing in a pistol you will use for USPSA, defense or whatever you use it for??????

You have a certain stance and sight picture when you shoot a pistol. It may be fundamentally sound or it may not be. Whatever it is, you own it and that is how you shoot.

I don't see a rifle any differently. You shoot prone, or semi prone, or off a barricade, or whatever, you have your shooting style, good or bad.
If you zero your rifle, or handgun in a mechanical rest, but you can't duplicate that in the real world, what good is it? I shot off of a lead sled once, and I found it to be absolutely useless. It was uncomfortable and unnatural. Your rifle will only perform as good as you make it perform.

A Ransom Rest may be useful for S&W, Springfield, Kimber, Walther or whoever to say their X gun is X accurate. I can't see a shooter getting any use out of one, or any other mechanical device. Even in load development, the load is only as good as you can shoot it.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me I'm not a very consistent shot by the standards of a lot of people here. Sometimes I'm pretty good other times not so much. My consistency often varies during a single session if I'm getting hot, cold, tired, frustrated
or whatever.

I have my thermals zeroed for the rifles they are most likely to be used on but I want to fill up the alternative zeros. This involves not only zeroing them but removing them and putting them back on and adjusting the tension if they don't return to zero. Then rezeroing if a change in tension changed the original zero and so on. Just for curiosity sake I'd also like to know how mechanically accurate my rifles are.

I could and have done this the old fashioned way but taking me out of the equation will make it a lot faster and less frustrating and likely save me enough ammo to pay for part of the sled. I've never shot off a sled or paid much attention to them but my understanding is it clamps into the front and you place the crosshair on the target using the adjustments and there's not much skill or human error involved in the process.

For me, I use a sled and bags when doing load development. Take myself out of the equation as much as possible to find what the rifle shoots best. Once that’s accomplished when I shoot standing, prone, bipod, etc. any issues/ deviation on the target are me & therefore hopefully easier to diagnose what I’m doing / not doing.

Reactions: mrmarklin
bi pod up front and a lab jack in the rear ( it's adjustable) just like the lead sled just 1/8th the weight fits in most range bags or your hand . and only around 30.00 or so . it's up to you how you want to customize it to make it work better for you .

Reactions: GreenMushroom
One of these?

41nqNchgE5S._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I have a couple of different Caldwell sled configurations and hardly use them since a got a bog pod (tripod) from 150 to 250 dollars. Level the bog pod, clamp the gun in and go. Just my 2 cents.

I have a couple of different Caldwell sled configurations and hardly use them since a got a bog pod (tripod) from 150 to 250 dollars. Level the bog pod, clamp the gun in and go. Just my 2 cents.

Hadn't really considered that as an option. Would like to get get a standing height tripod for my spotter anyway so maybe could get a two for one. I've never shot of a tripod so probably a stupid question but do you have to load them somehow like a bipod? Interesting set up on their product page. I'd never seen one spread out like that but I imagine it would be very stable.

64285cc9-ae97-54c8-87f2-f2949ff10e81.jpeg.jpg

It has a particular leg with a grip to face away from you to load if you want to. They will spread out enough you can pretty much shoot prone with it. I usually use mine standing adjusted to my height. Every shooting house/ ground blind we hunt out of has one in it. They are also great for kids. Buy the aluminium one, don't waste your money on the carbon fiber, it's not 100$ lighter.

Hadn't really considered that as an option. Would like to get get a standing height tripod for my spotter anyway so maybe could get a two for one. I've never shot of a tripod so probably a stupid question but do you have to load them somehow like a bipod? Interesting set up on their product page. I'd never seen one spread out like that but I imagine it would be very stable.

View attachment 7919139
There is a thread on tripod technique on the hide that is very thorough. @Diver160651 wrote it. Has the acronym “UKD” in it. Check it out.

I have a number of high-end tripods and heads, including a TFC-34 and a Anvil-30. You’re not going to get as solid and repeatable testing station with a tripod vs shooting off a bench.

I own an aluminum version of the Bald Eagle Slingslot front rest and a Protektor bunny rear bag. Never got on with them very well. For ultimate zeroing, I like the medium X-shaped front bag (14lbs) made by Dog Gone Good, which is USA made. I use a Tab Gear rear bag.

But I usually get lazy and use a LRA bipod and the Tab rear bag. Can’t imagine hoofing Dog Gone’s 23lbs large bag around!

Reactions: simonp
Looking for something to be able to better test the zero on my rifles. Primarily wanting to test the return to zero on different quick disconnect mounts with adjustable tension. Also want to test the accuracy of my different barrels without the me factor in the calculation.

Primarily 556 gas guns. Have a couple 9mm pistols (banshee/scorpion) and if it works with those great but it's not a major factor. Normally zero prone on a bipod or pack/log whatever. My original thought was front and rear bags but in my searches the sled things came up. These interested me since I constantly shoot my mrp far better than my other rifles and it's essential it's own sled.

I always figured sleds were expensive but ones like the Caldwell led sled 3 are around 150$ which seems to good to be true but they seem to get really good reviews. If I'm understanding these you clamp the rifle in and there's a screw for elevation and you just move the sled for windage? Is it preferable to get a sled with adjustable windage if I'm willing to spend a bit more?
If you get super precise on a weighted sled, your POA/POI will change when you shoulder the gun by yourself, on the ground, with a bipod, or other "real world" conditions.

For me, I want consistency over everything, so shooting position to have consistent POA/POI. Your overall purpose may be different than mine.

Reactions: sjmpcc022
There is a thread on tripod technique on the hide that is very thorough. @Diver160651 wrote it. Has the acronym “UKD” in it. Check it out.

I have a number of high-end tripods and heads, including a TFC-34 and a Anvil-30. You’re not going to get as solid and repeatable testing station with a tripod vs shooting off a bench.

I own an aluminum version of the Bald Eagle Slingslot front rest and a Protektor bunny rear bag. Never got on with them very well. For ultimate zeroing, I like the medium X-shaped front bag (14lbs) made by Dog Gone Good, which is USA made. I use a Tab Gear rear bag.

But I usually get lazy and use a LRA bipod and the Tab rear bag. Can’t imagine hoofing Dog Gone’s 23lbs large bag around!

I'll check that out. I normally do my zeroing prone with an atlas bipod and no rear bag. I know that properly loading the bipod is an issue for me. I shoot my mrp which is heavy, has a big break, and a very stiff rail very well. My lightweight 20" with a long noodle rail is much harder to be consistent with.

It occurred to me when I was looking at 1500$ tripods yesterday that I was involved in mission creep so I think I'm going to get front and rear bags and do some reading on technique and go from there.

If you get super precise on a weighted sled, your POA/POI will change when you shoulder the gun by yourself, on the ground, with a bipod, or other "real world" conditions.

For me, I want consistency over everything, so shooting position to have consistent POA/POI. Your overall purpose may be different than mine.

Purpose of wanting improved support is quicker and easier zeroing primarily for my thermals and checking the return to zero on mounts. I shoot steel 99% of the time I don't see using it for that.