• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bags with rails mounted on them? (to attach to tripod)

cas6969

Keeps Mr. Dead in his pocket
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2021
Texas Tower #3
I swore I'd seem them somewhere (or thought I did), now I'm not so sure. Searching here is mostly turning up mounts to attach a bag to the rifle. (Searching Google turns up too many hits for adding sandbag weights to photo tripods)

I'm looking to attach a bag to the tripod via acra or 1913 rail. I know I can make something, but I thought I'd seen them for sale. Though it's possible I was seeing rifle mounts and thinking it was the other way around. So before I start cobbling things together, I thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
This?

You may be thinking about the various Gray Ops plates and bags that mount on them. While most use them on the rifle directly, you can buy a double stacked arca rail and clip onto top of tripod upside down.

This seems like a pretty good system to me, because it’s dual purpose. However I can’t justify the cost. I got a small sheet of 1/4” plastic off Amazon, screwed an Arca rail section on the bottom, and have Game Changer held on plate with shock cord. I’ve got maybe $20 in materials tied up in it (already had the bag.) Works like a champ.

I looked at a few to possibly build from, but I figured the Acra clamp on them is probably half the cost or more, so it doesn't really make sense to start out with something I'm going to discard half of.

I've been using a quick release mount carved out of wood for the last 20 some odd years on one tripod, so I suppose I don't need to be too high tech on this one. :D Make a deck with Velcro out of just about anything and screw a mount to it.

After I started this thread yesterday, I realized I was probably over complicated it. For my needs and a bag, I really don't need all the functions of the tilting locking head or the bowl/ball. Just take the flat mounting base I'm not using, remove the bolt and slap some velcro on it. And I could still use it for normal tripod stuff if I wanted.