• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bake-on finish questions ...

Bobcape

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Rapid City, SD
<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt"> <span style="color: #3333FF">
I have successfully painted and baked 10 to 12 projects using Brownell's Teflon-Moly bake-on rattle can finish. However, I've only done 2 barreled actions. They are difficult for me to bake because of their size. I don't have a dedicated oven at this time. I may make one in the future as space permits; but not right now. I'm getting ready to switch over to the liquid product and start spraying it on.

Here are my questions. I have a buddy that owns a body shop. I've been talking to him about this. He suggested that I try to bake the finish in his cabinet that is heated by commercial infrared lights. We turned it on for about 10 minutes and it heated a piece of metal quite warm. I'm guessing it was 250 to 300 degrees. The cabinet is not enclosed; it is open in the front. I'm thinking that this might work. Heat is heat, right? Has anybody tried this? What was the result? I plan to test this on a scrap piece of steel, but how will I measure if it is as durable as if it had been baked in an oven? Thanks for your input.

Bob
</span> </span> </span>

Re: Bake-on finish questions ...

I think I might put a thermometer in there and check it when I did the scrap steel. Just for grins.

KG Gun Kote cures in 1 hour at 325 degrees. I think CeraKote is close to the same. I'd use a thermometer and rated dimmer to regulate the temp.

I have done a BUNCH of rifles and handguns with the Teflon/Moly. My oven limits my abilities, too. I am good up to about a 20" barrel on a 700 receiver for the kitchen appliance. I also have a gas smoker I bought specifically for curing. "Heat is heat" is probably right. I used propane to finish a Terry Cross rifle and it came out great.

David

ps
prep the metal well and blast with AO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done a BUNCH of rifles and handguns with the Teflon/Moly. My oven limits my abilities, too. I am good up to about a 20" barrel on a 700 receiver for the kitchen appliance. I also have a gas smoker I bought specifically for curing. "Heat is heat" is probably right. I used propane to finish a Terry Cross rifle and it came out great.

David

ps
prep the metal well and blast with AO. </div></div>
<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt"> <span style="color: #3333FF">
This is good to hear. I'm going to give it a try as soon as my paint arrives. You are correct about the prep being most important. I like to heat the part up before I degrease it. Oil and grease sometimes will ooze out if I don't. Thanks for the reply.

Bob </span> </span> </span>

Bob,

Victor N TN(my dad's older brother) is 100% on the money when he says to get a "good" thermometer- especially when using a propane fueled smoker or the like. My unit has a cheesy little thermometer that came with it, but it is next to worthless.

Good luck,

david

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob,

Victor N TN(my dad's older brother) is 100% on the money when he says to get a "good" thermometer- especially when using a propane fueled smoker or the like. My unit has a cheesy little thermometer that came with it, but it is next to worthless.

Good luck,

david </div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt"> <span style="color: #3366FF">
I have a good calibrated thermometer for heat treating and tempering. It is in Celsius, but I can convert my readings. The bottom end is about 160 degrees Fahrenheit. It looks like 250 degrees Fahrenheit is about 121 Celsius and 300 is about 149. My paint should be here Thursday or Friday. So I'll run a test this weekend. Thanks.

Bob
</span> </span> </span>

My paint arrived yesterday. I should be able to test it out this weekend and post some results.

Bob
</span> </span> </span>