• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Baker Special and M4 bottom metal question

George Mac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2004
Northern California
If anyone here has a Baker Special stock from McMillan, can you tell me if the M4 or DD Ross bottom metal sits flush or is it recessed into the bell of the stock. Photos would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Re: Baker Special and M4 bottom metal question

Both of those, as well as a Rem BDL bottom metal, will sit below the stock line. The Robar SR-90 stock is the same way. McMillan inlets a "ramp" cut so you can open the floorplate at 90 degrees. The reason is the pinch points need to be maintained for the mag box. It can be done but the M4 would look nicer since the floorplate isn't as wide as the DD Ross.

Thanks Kona, you always come through for me. Do you have any shots of your SR-90 (with the sexy camo) from the bottom? How is that A1-3 working for you?

Thanks again.

That rifle is at work at the moment. I'll try to get some pics up for you soon.

The A1-3 is working out fine. It's one of my all time favorites.

I had a McM Baker "Rock" from GAP with an ADL blind magazine, but it had feeding problems. So, I had it inletted for a BDL magazine with Badger M4 bottom metal. However, the door did not open properly, in fact it wouldn't open sufficiently without striking the edge around the inlet (at the curved area near the hinge) - the door was recessed into the bottom of the stock by about 3/8". Eventually, I sent it back to George and had it inletted for a Badger M5 DBM system and I'm now very happy with it.

Thanks Kona, I'll be on the lookout. I am torn between the M5DMB or the M4. Surgeon shot me a reply that their bottom metal would not drop in the M4 inlet. The reply made it seem that some major work would be needed.

The Badger M5 DBM will work in the Baker but with some massaging.

It's been awhile, so I may remember this imperfectly, but the only issue that GAP had with the Badger M5 in my Baker was the Jewell trigger, not the stock per se. If the rifle were here I would take some pix, but it's at the other house.

Jack,
I'd love to see some shots of that rifle if you get the chance. May I ask how you like the baker overall and the rifle with the M5.

Thanks,

George

Sorry it took me so long to post these George.
blush.gif

P5030107.JPG

P5030111.JPG

The Seeknis mag system does well in the Baker Special

SeekinsDMS001-1.jpg

SeekinsDMS003-1.jpg

SeekinsDMS009-1.jpg

SeekinsDMS007-1.jpg

Thanks for the photos. I am looking forward to seeing the new system that takes the AICS mags.

The surgeon bottom metal with extended lips would look nice in this stock, I think it would prolly resemble a cameltoe a little bit