• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Balance beam scale, which is best

farrier

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2011
NY
I destroyed my scale by accident and need to replace it. It was a Lee that came with a basic kit. I'm looking for suggestions.
Thanks

Re: Balance beam scale, which is best

Chargemaster
wink.gif

Anything is better than a Lee. Just throw a dart at the scale page in a reloading catalog.
I have a 505 RCBS that has served me well for 25 years. I plan to buy a new one in the coming year but haven't decided on a model. You can bet your ass it won't be digital! If you can find an old 304 in good shape they were about the best balance. About anything with the Ohaus name on it was good.

I have a tuned Ohaus (Same as RCBS) 10-10. it is repeatable and shows the drop of a single kernel of H4350/H44831SC/Retumbo. Given my garage environment, I can't use an electronic scale.

Jeffvn

I've been using that"POS" LEE scale for 25 year's now.
Tried an rcbs digital a decade ago and when it crapped out I went back to the LEE.
If you want to test accuracy on a digital take a piece of paper and weigh it. Write your first and last name on it with a pencil, then weigh it again.You'll see the difference.
It's not that the scale is inaccurate,it's TOO accurate,and a 1/2 grain difference WILL make the scale bounce all over.

RCBS 10-10 is hard to beat and very accurate.It should last a life time and you don't need electicity.

I talked with the guy who "tunes" scales and he said the Redding was the best of the current production scales.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I guess I'll look at the RCBS
Mike

I use the Redding Model #2 balance and it works great.

I have a RCBS 10-10 that my dad bought back in the early 80's. He's gone now and Im still using the scale and it's still just as accurate as ever. It will show the weight in just ONE kernel just like posted above. I've tried a couple digitals and I've always went back to the ole' trusty 10-10. It's weighed many thousands of charges.

"which is best"

Prometheus!

My Gen 1 is about 3/4 kernel accurate, it can charge a case every 20-25 seconds but is all manual, I pick up my Gen 2 Saturday, it's a full auto balance beam dispenser that is sub 1/3 kernel accurate, and will dispense the charge desired every 10-13 seconds.

I use a Redding Model 2, its good.
Wish Hornady still had a balance scale, my father has an old one, it may not be any more accurate but it looks higher quality and is easier to adjust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"which is best"

Prometheus!

My Gen 1 is about 3/4 kernel accurate, it can charge a case every 20-25 seconds but is all manual, I pick up my Gen 2 Saturday, it's a full auto balance beam dispenser that is sub 1/3 kernel accurate, and will dispense the charge desired every 10-13 seconds. </div></div>

Would you post up or PM me on where your getting the gen2 and how much a guy has to pay for one please.

I know it isn't a beam scale, but I have an RCBS digital scale that has always worked for me. Plus it can change between about 3 units so I like it for that reason. Never steered me wrong for shotgun and pistol reloading.

Trevor300wsm

The gen 2 is about a 12-18mo wait and will set you back about 3k

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard if you have to ask how much you can't afford one
smile.gif
</div></div>

You may hear alot of things, doesnt mean they are accurate.

I asked how much the gen2 was......for the reason of knowing how much more it was over the Gen1 models I've seen sell on here in the past. The price overall isnt a issue.

Thanks for the info Sub. I knew they were around that price, but I didn't know about the 12-18 month wait time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may hear alot of things, doesnt mean they are accurate.

</div></div>

Completely agree. Just making a light joke. I did know they were very expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may hear alot of things, doesnt mean they are accurate.

</div></div>

Completely agree. Just making a light joke. I did know they were very expensive.</div></div>

Yes, that is costly for sure, but looking at it long term by the year, it's not that bad considering how much time it would save (me). Weighting out 50 charges on my 10-10 is a pain in the ass. I know it's accurate and that gives me piece of mind, but it's still a huge pain in the ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"which is best"

Prometheus!

My Gen 1 is about 3/4 kernel accurate, it can charge a case every 20-25 seconds but is all manual, I pick up my Gen 2 Saturday, it's a full auto balance beam dispenser that is sub 1/3 kernel accurate, and will dispense the charge desired every 10-13 seconds. </div></div>

Would you post up or PM me on where your getting the gen2 and how much a guy has to pay for one please. </div></div>

Don't know if he sent you a PM or not, but they are only available from Brand Cole who makes them.

Thanks bward!

This may be my birthday present to me since it's just around the corner.

If your comfortable spending $1,000+ on a powder dispenser why not look into the Sartorious GD503 scale. You can weigh powder to the kernal and weigh or mesure a half dozen other items.

good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trevor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your comfortable spending $1,000+ on a powder dispenser why not look into the Sartorious GD503 scale. You can weigh powder to the kernal and weigh or mesure a half dozen other items.

good luck </div></div>

There is no comparison between the Prometheus and any other unit for throwing powder. Sure you can measure to the kernel with the Sartorious, but there's no way you could throw 100 charges in 30 minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no comparison between the Prometheus and any other unit for throwing powder. Sure you can measure to the kernel with the Sartorious, but there's no way you could throw 100 charges in 30 minutes. </div></div>

no argument there it is a great sole use piece of equipments.
I was suggesting a multi use tool that could weight to the same degree as the Prometheus while still allowing the user to weight other components like primers
laugh.gif
for ultimate accuracy

I can only hope that one day my shooting skills are good enough that I'd need to weigh primers to see noticeable accuracy improvements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can only hope that one day my shooting skills are good enough that I'd need to weigh primers to see noticeable accuracy improvements. </div></div>

Me too

I have the RCBS 10-10, used it for the last 20yrs.
I dont load enough long range ammo to justify $3000 for a measuse
that would save me time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RL15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the RCBS 10-10, used it for the last 20yrs.
I dont load enough long range ammo to justify $3000 for a measuse
that would save me time. </div></div>
I have used 1010s and 505s and they work just fine...Take your pick IMHO.
The RCBS 304 is the best (industry) balance beam if you can find one. If you need real precision the best bang for the buck the Sartorius.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38348/Product/Sartorius-Scale-110V

Peace

I have a Redding Model 2 beam scale and it's dead nuts accurate and fast to settle in. When fine tuning, each kernel affects it so you can weigh your charge to the last drop so to speak.I use it in conjunction with the Redding 3 BR Powder measure which also works very good. I throw a charge just under and trickle the remainder. After I got the hang of it, it is very fast and accurate. I am leary of anything electronic and find this system works quick and is accurate.

I know this won't be satisfying and I would love to just say "brand x is best" or "I use brand y", etc. as if that would settle things, and I would if it were true but it wouldn't be; fact is, all of our beam scales are excellant.

The only effective 'differences' in a scales use are the user features and the value of those are personal opinion and everyone has a personal opinion that is quite valid - for himself. Pick a beam scale that looks good to you, buy and use it; it will do fine work. Most reloading scales are sufficently sensitive to register one kernel of coarse stick powder, no scale is sensitive enough to register one kernel of ball or flake powder, nor would it matter if they did.

I have rcbs 5-0-2 5-0-5, 10-10, and 304. the 304 is on the bench, the others in the cabinet.

I used a RCBS 505 scale for many years and was very happy with it. I bought a used RCBS 10-10 scale a few years ago and like it a little better. I still kept my 505 though. I have my table set up so I throw my charge from my RCBS Uniflow powder measure, straight in to my scale pan. I throw my charge a little light, and then use a powder trickler to bring the charge up to the desired weight. The whole process is pretty painless. I can maintain the rate of 2-3 charges a minute without much fuss.

I've had a RCBS 10-10 for the last 30 years and it has always been true.... For the money you cannot go wrong with one of these.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trevor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your comfortable spending $1,000+ on a powder dispenser why not look into the Sartorious GD503 scale. You can weigh powder to the kernal and weigh or mesure a half dozen other items.

good luck </div></div>

There is no comparison between the Prometheus and any other unit for throwing powder. Sure you can measure to the kernel with the Sartorious, but there's no way you could throw 100 charges in 30 minutes. </div></div>

Don't get me wrong... I love me a Prometheus. I might even have one some day. But I was able to charge 75 cases in 50 minutes with the GD503 and a Lee Perfect Powder measure on my first outing.

No doubt, it took far more concentration than with a Prometheus and is still far slower. But I bet I will get faster with time.

if my 505 broke i'd buy a 1010. It at least 20 years old.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ltdshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a RCBS 10-10 for the last 30 years and it has always been true.... For the money you cannot go wrong with one of these. </div></div>

What he said. Mines got 30 yrs on it as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trevor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your comfortable spending $1,000+ on a powder dispenser why not look into the Sartorious GD503 scale. You can weigh powder to the kernal and weigh or mesure a half dozen other items.

good luck </div></div>

There is no comparison between the Prometheus and any other unit for throwing powder. Sure you can measure to the kernel with the Sartorious, but there's no way you could throw 100 charges in 30 minutes. </div></div>

Don't get me wrong... I love me a Prometheus. I might even have one some day. But I was able to charge 75 cases in 50 minutes with the GD503 and a Lee Perfect Powder measure on my first outing.

No doubt, it took far more concentration than with a Prometheus and is still far slower. But I bet I will get faster with time. </div></div>

For the record I just charged and seated 50 rounds in 14 minutes, all with in 1 kernal of each other, the Gen 2 is faster than me seating bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trevor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your comfortable spending $1,000+ on a powder dispenser why not look into the Sartorious GD503 scale. You can weigh powder to the kernal and weigh or mesure a half dozen other items.

good luck </div></div>

No doubt, it took far more concentration than with a Prometheus and is still far slower. But I bet I will get faster with time. </div></div>

For the record I just charged and seated 50 rounds in 14 minutes, all with in 1 kernal of each other, the Gen 2 is faster than me seating bullets.</div></div>

You're numbers are much more in line with what I normally can load. I threw out some conservative numbers to prove a point that its fast without having someone trying to call BS on it. 200 in an hour is definitely doable.

CKA charged and seated 250 bullets in 68 minutes while using his Gen 2, that sold me, I work 12 hour shifts, commute 2.5 hours for work, on my days off I don't want to F around reloading I want to shoot, Co-Ax press, Giraud Trimmer and now a Gen 2 Prometheus(replaced a Gen 1) sit on my reloading desk, yes these tools cost more, and yes there worth it, in time and accuracy.

I have had the RCBS balance beam scale for 3 years and really like it. Believe it is under $100. All metal construction unlike the Lee

You want fast and accurate, another option, buy a precision powder measure. BB

Broke my Lee also, using a cheap digital scale, need to get a new balance beam.

when it comes to balance beam scales I like Scott Parkers work. He has tuned every beam scale I have and I am beyond happy with them.
He is a great guy to deal with a good people. I give him my support whenever I can.

Terry