• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ball,flake or stick, One better?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Im new to reloading and was wondering what is the difference between the powders (ball,flake,stick)?
I am going to be mostly loading .223 ammo for target and picked up some Hodgdon Benchmark and IMR4195(thats all the local gun store had in stock) and noticed the IMR is stick. Is there any difference in what powders you use? Any one better than the other?
What would be good in .223 loads?
.300 Win Mag loads?
Also what about pistol loading, is there a difference, any one better to use than the other? The pistol cal I will be loading is 45ACP and 50AE. Any tips? Thanks!

Re: ball,flake or stick, One better?

Ball works thru a measure better. Flake can "bridge" in a measure like the Lee automatics that use a sliding chamber design.
I find in a 223 set up for 55-60 gr bullets, BL-C2 can produce dime sized 5 shot groups from a RCBS measure. 4198 is the "God" of 222 Remington powders and will work with light bullets in the 223. In my 222, I weigh every charge with 4198 (RCBS electric unit) and it does make a difference.

Have a look at:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

lots of info for free.

I have just one tip...buy a reloading manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have just one tip...buy a reloading manual. </div></div>

1+. The Lyman reloading manual is a good place to start. It explains all of that in the first few chapters.