• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ball head or leveling base?

502Chevelle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2014
Charlotte NC
I’m looking for a new head for a Leofoto 364C that I’ve picked up. Trying to decide between a Sunwayfoto Xb 52dl that Shadowtech sells or a Ta 3 that RRS sells. Obviously they are a little different, but it seems that they would each work pretty good. Price is fairly close. For guys that have used both, what do you think and why? Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

Reactions: wind gypsy
I have the exact tripod. I have a RRS TA-3 leveling base, RRS NATO pic adapter, and a RRS VYCE to use with it. Very steady set up. Just got home from using it waiting on some pigs.

Upgraded to this from a Manfrotto with a ball head. Night and day difference, no slop or slipping.

Reactions: 502Chevelle
I'd say if price is close, I love my RRS stuff and they are doing a great job making lots of stuff for shooting sports now, so I like supporting
companies like that. Their customer service and response on some of the forums seems to be pretty good also.

I've found the Sunwayfoto ballheads don't hold a candle to any of the RRS products in stability. If those are the two options, TA3 without question. Extremely stable. I have the 364C as well and they go together well. Just be sure to get the 2.5" handle option.

I really like the TA-3, most of the time all I'm using the head for is spotting scope/binos. It's pretty rare that I shoot off the tripod, if anything it's just used as rear support tripod leg. The TA-3 is pretty low profile and light weight, so I'm not in a rush to replace it.

I found the TA-3 more stable than the BH-55, and I didn't need panning or steeper angle adjustment so I got rid of the BH-55.

Reactions: Diver160651
I did and it was a great thread. Being new to the tripod world, I am not sure which way to go. Seems like the ball head gives you more flexibility but not sure I need it.
2nd- Don’t get the ball head. The two best choices are the Anvil 30 or leveling base

Thanks guys, that helps me narrow it down. That other thread was very informative also. Thanks.

Last edited:
I prefer a ballhead because its easier for panning when Im running Binos. I have the Leofoto 55mm ball and its plenty sufficient to hold a rifle as well.

I thought I could carry over my ball head from photography use, but I didn't like using a ballhead for a spotter. I prefer to use a video head. With a video head I can pan and tilt with one hand. When I used a ballhead, I'd have to support the spotter so that it won't rotate (flop) slightly.

So just an update, after talking to a friend about his, I went with the Leofoto 55mm ballhead. Initial testing, playing around with it at the house, I’m pretty impressed. It pans smoothly, and the ball turns very smoothly with a solid lock up when you want it too. Will give it a good workout at the range this Friday, and at a PRS club match in two weeks. May be able to post a review after that.

Anvil 30 has the most solid lock up or them all. Leveling bases tend to get dirty easy and they need to be re tightened once in a while. For regular use go Anvil 30. I use it for hunting and matches.