• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ball Powder for 223 ??

GMAC7949

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2009
Texas
I wanted to try a ball powder for loading my 223, 77g mag length.
I have been using Varget and R15 both with good results, but heard ball powder throws more accurately.
What would be close to varget or r15 in load capacity???
AR 223, White Oak 20" 1-7, 77g nozler CC. LC brass.

Re: Ball Powder for 223 ??

I have had good results with the 77 gr SMK and AA2460 in my service rifle and my dog gun. I use Tac in my match rifle with a 26 inch barrel. Ball powder is nice to work with, smooth thruogh my redding.

I have heard from industry sources the 223 was designed for 16" barrels and 55 gr bullets with H335. My how applications have changed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crod1972</div><div class="ubbcode-body">h-335 and blc-2 work great </div></div>

+1 H335 is the best powder accuracy wise with 77 BTHP's in my 700 tactical.

Ramshot is currently being used by the military with the 77's for long range, I believe they use 24.3 grains. W844 and W846 is good also but is a little heat sensitive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: duaneb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ramshot is currently being used by the military with the 77's for long range, I believe they use 24.3 grains. W844 and W846 is good also but is a little heat sensitive.</div></div>

Just curious, how do you know this? Are you talkin' about Mk.262, or USAMU loading?

Talked with a Chief that works with the TEAMS in Coronado and has a position to do some evaluating for spec. ops.

H335 is a little fast for a 77 gr bullet, BLC2 will work great for it.

I've shot the 75 Amax with H335 and BLC2, they're both good and consistent, but the BLC2 runs 150fps or more faster depending on what barrel I shoot it from.

I have been told that W748 is the closest powder to what the military runs for powder in their gas guns. It is dirty, but will shot 3/4 moa outta my 20" prairie dog AR.

I have shot 1/2 moa with H335.....it is my go to powder for both my AR's and my .223's and .204s. I love that stuff!!!! -Dan

I like W748 for 50-55gr bullets, and have used Ramshot Big Game for 75's, 26.5gr, which is a compressed load. Velocity may or may not be enough to get past 600-800yd, I never shot it past 300yd, but accuracy is very good in a 24" 1:9" Savage 10FP.

I would rate Ramshot TAC as roughly simlar to W748, and Ramshot Big Game to be roughly similar to W760. Ramshot Hunter is roughly similar to H4350.

Greg

Thanks Guys, I think Im going to try H335.
does antone have any good loads with this 77g Nozler

im new to reloading but it seems blc2 runs pretty dirty for me running 55 grain bullets from a 16" barrel so im thinkin maybe its just too slow burning for the lighter bullets out of short barrels? like maybe im not burning it all?

I use BLC2 in my ARs and Savage Bolt. The AR cases eject very dirty (suspect because of .556 chamber) but same load, same bullet, fired out of the Savage they come out cleaner then before I shot them. Well pretty close any way. Meters great from my Dillon and I have mega pounds of it on hand so will stick with it.

Ok I cant find any h335 but have found tac so tac it is!
and looking at load data provided by hide members there is alot more on here using TAC than h335 plus TAC is cleaner burning.
How is is affected by heat or cold?
Were is a good load to start with?
what is max load that people have tried? FPS?

In my 223ai I am at 26.4 Grains of TAC behind 75 amaxes. I am seeing ejector marks on a hot Houston day, so I will be backing this load down a bit. Rock 8 twist at 22 inches, 2.480" COAL.

Work the load up in your rifle...

Was talking with the guys from JP Ent. the other day and John was saying he is getting good results with Ramshot Tac with 77's. YMMV

With massaged brass, Re-15 has, it appears, helped me to shoot the best scores I've ever shot using the 77SMK. Of course, it could be I'm a better shooter than I was when using VV N140, or Varget.

I've used H335, WC748 and IMR4895. The H335 metered the best. I've had the best results with WC748. I've loaded 40gr-69gr with these powders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NativeCraft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS,
What, exactly, do you mean by "massaged brass"?</div></div>

I'm talking about deburring flash holes, weighing brass, and uniforming primer pockets, that sort of thing.

I tried H335 behind a 55Gr ball. The groups were great when the temps were in the 50's but when the temps went up to the high 80's low 90's the groups spread out.

I am waiting for it to cool down again to see if my groups close up with my chosen load.

Going to the range to check loaded 23.5g TAC 77g nosler CC.
we will see!!
Will load the same with 24g to check too.