• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic Advantage barrels?

Lkwoolsey

E-nothing
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2018
Montgomery, Alabama
Anyone know anything about Ballistic Advantage barrels? Looking at putting a heavier barrel on my AR, it's a. 223 wylde and seems nice, spr profile, 1/8 twist, 18", stainless. I've never really done anything to ARs before, I always just used what I was issued. Anyways, any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Do they still pin their gas blocks on with a roll pin? Have seen some barrels that could shoot and some not.

I have a 18" 223 wylde BA barrel on a Mega ar15. It has shot 2" 3 shot groups at 618 yards and made consistant hits on a 10" plate at 822 yards. I'm happy with it.

I have a 16" hanson 308 and 16" lightweight hanson 6.5 grendel. The 308 shoots well and gave me a little more velocity than my 16" DPMS factory, it also groups better. Finding a load that would hold under moa was not to difficult with hand loads. My Grendel, being a light weight, is a little more finicky but typically holds 1.25 moa or a little better on good days with factory ammo or handloads. Both came with pinned gas blocks.

I have a 10.3" .300 blackout coming tomorrow for a pistol build.

I look at them as a good compromise for performance and cost, I love the fact that they offer pinned gas blocks on most of their barrels.

I have a 22" B A barrel on an AR 10 6.5 Creedmoor build. There's a little north of 1,200 rounds through the barrel and Im more than pleased. Never shot it past 980 yards, but out to that distance its been more than capable.

Reactions: AMP! and Earnhardt
Do they still pin their gas blocks on with a roll pin? Have seen some barrels that could shoot and some not.

Not the premium line and the 18" DMR/SPR barrel is not one of the barrels with pinned blocks.
. BA barrels are generally dimpled for set screw gas blocks, but I use clamp on style for my builds to avoid any extra stress/pressure points. The pinned barrels are the ones that include their lo-profile gasblock. I always do my own gas block so that it can be adjusted as needed.

Anyone know anything about Ballistic Advantage barrels? Looking at putting a heavier barrel on my AR, it's a. 223 wylde and seems nice, spr profile, 1/8 twist, 18", stainless. I've never really done anything to ARs before, I always just used what I was issued. Anyways, any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

I found my barrels to shoot pretty well (223 Wylde at .5-.7 avg over 4000 rounds; 6.5CM shot .7-1 over about 100 rounds before being really broken in).

I think the biggest issue people have with SS barrels is the time it takes to smooth the gas port as it begins to erode. I basically plan to ignore the first 200 rounds of a gas gun; if it happens to shoot well before then, great! If not, no big deal.

A pinned gas block wont ever move unless the pin comes out and because they use a roll pin the likelihood of that happening is very slim nor that it would cause undue stress on the barrel, certainly not anymore than a set screw style would. While I have not had issues with clamp on or set screw gas blocks on my rifles, I have witnessed guns going down at matches because those gas blocks have moved due to an impact or just loosening up.

Reactions: Lkwoolsey
I have two of their 18" SPR chromoly barrels that I bought on sale for I think 160 bucks. When I got them one was a great shooter, 3/4 with match loads the other was more like 1.5 or 2. I sent it back and the replacement shoots around an inch which is satisfactory to me.

Also they are on mk12 clone builds and both of them had correct gas ports, not overgassed, no extraction problems, profile was all correct the ops collars fit fine, no problems headspacing etc.

They are a good buy at the price. If you want tiny groups then you shouldn't be rolling the dice on <250$ barrels anyways go for something cut rifled IMHO.

I built a 6.5 CM LR-308 for my Dad in 2015 and then built one for myself in 2016. Both builds were based on the Mega MATEN receiver set. My Dad's rifle used a Krieger custom 22 inch barrel while mine used the Ballistic Advantage 22 inch premium barrel. Neither of these rifles I've built ever had a lick of feeding or cycling issues once the gas block setting was dialed in. My Dad shoots factory 140 ELD-M ammo and I handload with the 140 ELD-M. Both rifles are capable of the same accuracy. Yes, both of these rifles are heavy, but they aren't hunting rifles to be carried a lot.

Below is a link to a thread about some load development I did with mine using the BA barrel. I had a pretty extensive load development thread on the Scout site but apparently it's gone now. I did cross post my results on the 65creedmoor site so it's available there if you are interested.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threa...vantage-barrel-140-eld-m-h4350-loads.6392411/

I’ve seen lots of rave reviews online about them, this thread included.

The ones owned by local shooters have not shot well IMO. Some the owners were happy with the performance, but I would not be.

I have not owned one so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.

• Haha
Reactions: Genesis1984
I’ve only owned their 6.5 creed and 6.5 Grendel offerings. The 6.5creedmoor barrels are a tremendous value from what I’ve seen so far. Numerous sub half moa groups and 10 shot groups that were under 1 moa.

The 6.5 grendel has been more of a project. I call it the 6.5 Gremlin. The shoulder grows approximately 9-10 thou upon firing factory 123 eld-m’s when using their bolt. The precision of the factory rounds, based on initial tests, was lackluster. Handloads with properly sized brass for the chamber have done well, but I need to test it a bit more due to having a loose suppressor during my last outing.

I have 2. One 16" SS 1:8 .223 wylde, and one 20" SS 1:10 .308 win. Both or mine are modified, but shoot great. I have, as said already by @Subwrx300, seen gas port "smear" happen with 2 ar15 barrels. One is my current ar15 build, which showed no interruption in accuracy and is gone now; and the other was an off brand something or other in .223 wylde, that I burned 2000 rounds through before thoroughly investigating the problem of serious fliers and only 3:5 shots even hitting the paper. Frustrating to say the least. Bang for buck, SS Ballistic Advantage is a good buy.

Reactions: Subwrx300
Post from subwrx is on point. BA, even their match line, is pretty rough out of the box but do shoot pretty well once they are given time to settle in.

Here is one that was used as OE on a complete upper:

New, but test fired:
oZVAcvJ.jpg

clSn6Tu.jpg

1150 rounds and a lot of de-coppering:
IMG110101-001020F.JPG

IMG110101-001052F.JPG

It shoots right around 1 moa, which is very decent I think for what it is.

Port burs, which an indication of poor finish work, are not really a problem if you plan to break the thing in. They shoot out very fast.

The rough throat and some button chatter it had were more of an issue, and the first couple cleanings would pull out blue gobs with an aggressive solvent like Sweet's

All in all, I think they are a decent value and it's worth noting that you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
The 1st, last & only to ever be for me, shoots patterns instead of groups in addition to having shitty threads on the muzzle as well.............18" SS fluted SPR.

Far too many other good barrels to ever go there again.

MM

I like their barrels and have quite a few on SBR's:
1x 12.5" Hanson 4150CM 6.5 Grendal
2x 8.3" Hanson 4150CM 300 BO
1x 10.3 Hanson 416R 300 BO
1x 10.3 Hanson 4150CM Wylde

All 5 will group better than 1.5 MOA @ 100yds with reasonable quality bulk factory ammo and the kind of low power optics you would expect on a SBR.

Only two I've put better ammo through are the Grendal with 1-8x and 10.3" blackout with 3-12x and both are a little under 1 MOA with supers. The Blackout with subs can only do about 1.2, but I might not of found an ammo it likes yet.

For this price point they are great.

I do have AR barrels that get .5 MOA or slightly better with match grade, but now we are talking hand lapped, cryrogenicly treated and a whole different price point.

I'm not usually about single groups meaning much, but I can say with certainty that whether lucky or maybe before quality changes were made, my Aeroprecision complete upper 18" DMR was the most consistently accurate AR barrel/upper I've owned. It shot most 5 shots groups into .5-.7 or better with very few groups at 1" or worse. At distance it stayed the same (sub minute) out to 400+ yards under calm conditions.

In fact it still holds my personal record for smallest 5-shot group. Picture below. Stars aligned and while I've come close since, even my bolt rifles haven't touched that group yet (they hover in the .2-.3 for best groups).

Sample of one but AP and Ballistic Advantage will always have my vote of confidence until they break it with a crap barrel (which I haven't gotten yet).
20190213_225050.jpg

They have way to many QC issues. If you purchase one make sure it is from a reputable dealer that will take care of you because ballistic advantage won’t be quick about responding to you.

You may get one that shoots and you may get one that the chamber isn’t even finished and you will rupture a case when you pull the trigger.

Reactions: Billiam1211
They have way to many QC issues. If you purchase one make sure it is from a reputable dealer that will take care of you because ballistic advantage won’t be quick about responding to you.

You may get one that shoots and you may get one that the chamber isn’t even finished and you will rupture a case when you pull the trigger.

Exactly this. You can read about my recent horror story with Ballistic Advantage here.

Exactly this. You can read about my recent horror story with Ballistic Advantage here.
I just read your story. The barrel that my buddy had issues with would rupture a case when he fired it. It looked like the case was cut perfectly with a razor blade about a quarter inch up from the base. The case was literally cut in two. He fired another round and another puff of smoke. That was it. We pulled the barrel and the chamber was horrible. With the naked eye you could tell it was jacked. I couldn’t believe my buddy didn’t notice that when he installed it.

This is the worst example of several first hand hand experiences that I have witnessed with my own eyes with these barrels. The customer service mirrors what you experienced except he could never get a response. After a week and a half of trying he went back to the retailer and they promptly took care of him.

Spend a little more and get a barrel.

I can tell you for a fact, ANYTIME you call Centiron barrels someone will answer the phone that knows how to help you.
I've never had a problem but had some questions that I needed answered.
Any time I ordered by phone my stuff arrived within 2 days.

Reactions: RTH1800
I have a 18 inch areo precision .308 assembled upper, which use aero marked ballistic advantage barrels. So far mine hasn't really disappointed or surprised me. I bought it with the intention to swap in a 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor barrel but decided to try it out in .308 for a while first. With federal GMM it is usually about 1.25-1.5 moa at a hundred yards, not great but not horrible for it's price point. It seems to be doing better than when it was brand new so I'm hoping it gets better with some more rounds.

I've been buying their barrels for a couple years now. Have a 16 and 18(SPR) in 5.56, a 9.5 300BO, and just got a 20" heavy fluted 6.5 CM Barrel. All of the above have performed beautifully. Counting mine, I've put together 2 guns with their 18" and both printed consistently around 1/2" at 100 yards shooting the same ammo from the same position on the same day, sandbagged to hell. I don't shoot for groups a lot but as far as I can tell they've never limited me on the steel. I've never shot the BO for groups but it has been Minute-of-Deer twice now (both in the same location ~ 100 yards from the blind) shooting HSM 110gr. I've rang steel out to 300 with it but it gets more time in the bush than on the range. The 6.5 I should be torquing down tomorrow. When the optic for that build shows up and I get any gremlins worked out I'll report on the group (Ordered some Beck Ammunition 140 grain ELD-X). You can probably already guess what my expectations are though. TBH my experience with the 18" 5.56s with their barrels is what moved me to build a 6.5 gas gun instead of a bolt gun.

Last edited:
If they are on sale for <$200, then BA can be a good deal. Otherwise there are better options.

I just finished my 3rd 6.5 Creedmoor AR, the second build using a Ballistic Advantage barrel. This time I used an Aero Precision M5 builder set (cerakoted FDE by a friend), Brownells nitride 308 bcg, Ballistic Advantage 18 inch fluted premium barrel, Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 (temporarily), Magpul UBR gen 2 (also cerakoted FDE by my friend), SLR Sentry 8 clamp on adjustable gas block, Schmid Tool & Engineering Corp nickle teflon trigger (Brownells), JP yellow reduced power spring set, JP 308 polished carbine spring, Spikes Tactical AR-15 H3 buffer and PVA Mad Scientist muzzle brake I had laying around.

After shooting a box of factory Hornady 140 ELD-M ammo to do a quick break-in, tweaking the adjustable gas block and zeroing the scope, I shot two 5-shot groups of my 140 ELD-M load I developed for my 22 inch 6.5 Creedmoor (one group pictured). The first group went into .63 moa, the second went .64 moa. Ejection was about 3 - 4 o'clock and bolt hold open. No cycling or feeding issues whatsoever. The scope and trigger will be replaced when funds allow. The Schmid T&E trigger is a pretty damn good trigger for the money (e.g. $37 @ Brownells) and is better than the ALG QMS triggers I have in other builds. I plan to cerakote the barrel and muzzle brake graphite black but didn't want to put the money into the barrel until I knew it grouped well. Suffice it to say, it will be pulled and cerakoted. LOL

Now the pics...

lxVG777.jpg

VD8XVZ6.jpg

Reactions: Patriot Cerakote
I've owned 4 barrels from Ballistic Advantage. I would definitely recommend their Ar-15 barrels, both of my 223 Wylde rifles shoot sub MOA and have been super easy to reload for with 69gr and 77gr SMK and Varget.

I've tried 2 different 308 Win barrels and had to return them for failing the no-go gauge and field gauge tests, and also poor accuracy. I ended up settling with a Criterion 24-inch barrel on my LR-308 and it's been a sub minute shooter since day 1. The 3rd photo is 10 shots at 200 yards with my 175gr SMK / 43gr RL-15 load. Needless to say, I have a ballistic advantage barrel that I'm looking to sell now :|

Attachments

• 77gr Ladder Test.jpeg
    77gr Ladder Test.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 2019-02-03_15-58-11_392.jpeg
    2019-02-03_15-58-11_392.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 2019-02-22_18-01-19_000.png
    2019-02-22_18-01-19_000.png
    638.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Attach61170_20200131_121635.jpg

I have a Premium SPR 16" mid length 223 Wylde with pinned gas block. Accuracy is sub MOA and it is pleasant to shoot suppressed. I was concerned that it would be over gassed with the suppressor, but it actually shoots very soft with no gas blowback with the SureFire.

Also, they have an MOA guarantee on all their barrels. If it doesn't shoot, let them replace it for you.

Messed around with an Aero complete upper with a 308 SS BA barrel on it. First one was a complete dud. Sent it back to Aero and they replaced it without question. Second barrel with 168 FGMM......
Ballistic-X-Export-2020-02-06 20:11:12.166660.png

Reactions: BulletScientist
Although perhaps not helpful to your thread, I have two BA barrels. Both are 7.5 inches. One is a hansen and the other a modern series barrel that I bought on clearance. What I can tell you is both of those barrels have been problem free for me....and the Hansen gets run with an Echo trigger. It doesn't shoot groups. It shoots mag dumps. :cool:

Regardless, both have been flawless. Would BA be my first choice for a precision barrel? No. But if I'm building on a budget, then they are on the list.

I’ve had several BA barrrls some shoot some don’t they are hit or miss. I think their quality was better before Aero Precision bought them out. I do have 1 Ballistic Advantage 14.5” 308 barrel that is a hammer. Funny thing is it’s not even one of their “premium” barrels.

I think it depends on what you're looking for out of your rifle.

If you're looking for just a blaster then BA is a pretty good choice for a more budget minded barrel.

If you're looking for a more precision build then my choice would be a higher end barrel.

When I decided to build an 18" AR-15 I went with a custom barrel from Bartlein and had them send it to Compass Lake Engineering to be chambered and profile. I could've bought three of BAs premium barrels for the cost of the Bartlein. But it should be a much better barrel. When I decided to also build a 12.5" pistol AR I went with a BA Hanson Performance Series barrel but I don't expect it to have the same level of precision as the 18" Bartlien or my 308 AR which has a JP 22" barrel in it.

My Bartlein barrel is due to be here on Monday so we'll see how it does. I've also only function tested the pistol build so far so I'm not sure how precise it is. But we will see. I plan on putting a precision scope on it to see how it does out at 100 yards on paper when I can find the time. I've got less than 100 rounds through it so far so time will tell how well it functions but it's been good so far. Also the BA barrel did not come dimpled and I had to do it myself even though I bought a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block with it.

I have 2. The first was a 12" Hanson Grendel pistol. I put a nightforce BR scope on it to accuracy test, it usually wears a NX8 1-8., and it shoots well under 3/4" with hornady black 123s, and near 1/2" with federal 90 TNT factory loads, I couldn't ask for anything more for what it is.
The last was an 18" 308 on a new build, but all I had on hand was crap surplus ammo to function test. I haven't had time to work up a load or shoot some gold metal in it yet to see if it has any potential.
It is a smooth shooter suppressed, with a very low recoil impulse.
I tuned the gas block and used a silent buffer spring. I don't expect shilen,Rock creek or so on, accuracy out of it. At $200 I think they are hit or miss, not as consistent across the board as a custom maker that's twice the price.

I had a heavy profile 308 premium barrel that wouldn't shoot better than 1.5" at 100yd with several different brands and weights. But had a Hanson hanson profile 556 when they first came out that shot great

I have a Premium 16" 308 Hanson. Only 50 rounds on it. It shoots MOA so far with FGGM.

I had an issue with rust inside a new barrel (BA Hansen 16" .308) but I'm not sure who's end it was on since I bought it from a retailer other than BA.

I did get a replacement barrel and it has been great. No issues.

I've owned 4 barrels from Ballistic Advantage. I would definitely recommend their Ar-15 barrels, both of my 223 Wylde rifles shoot sub MOA and have been super easy to reload for with 69gr and 77gr SMK and Varget.

I've tried 2 different 308 Win barrels and had to return them for failing the no-go gauge and field gauge tests, and also poor accuracy. I ended up settling with a Criterion 24-inch barrel on my LR-308 and it's been a sub minute shooter since day 1. The 3rd photo is 10 shots at 200 yards with my 175gr SMK / 43gr RL-15 load. It's 1.651 inches center to center so just over 1/2 MOA. Needless to say, I have a ballistic advantage barrel that I'm looking to sell now :|

1.5" would be 3/4 MOA at 200.

I had a BA govt profile nitrided barrel that shot pretty good for what it was. No stoppages that I can recall.

A little overgassed but shot about 1.5 MOA with Hornady 75 steel cased practice ammo and other match loads. Shot around 2 MOA with most duty/SD loads.

I used a BA barrel for a MK12 build, sold the upper to a good friend and he is several thousand rounds deep with sub moa accuracy using quality OTM ammo.

Just my 2 cents.

Never seen a BA in 5.56 shoot <1moa reliably with factory ammo, even FGMM and similar stuff.

I have a 5.56 pistol with a 10.5 Hansen barrel. Never had any issues with it. Haven't grouped it just happy it hits a torso at 200 yds. Other BA barrel is a 18" heavy with rifle length gas in 308. Prints roughly .5 MOA with 168 gr FGMM. Barrels were ordered 3-4 years apart. Both had good finish and machining. No problems and will probably go back next time I need an AR barrel.

If you're trying to keep to a budget I would just spend a little bit more and get a White Oak SPR barrel. They are excellent shooters and don't cost all that much more. The BA 18" SPR barrel starts at $210 (non-fluted) and the WOA is $275 for (in my opinion) a better barrel.

If budget isn't a problem then its Bartlein or Krieger.

Never seen a BA in 5.56 shoot <1moa reliably with factory ammo, even FGMM and similar stuff.

Just how it went for me, your not the only person who has been surprised. I doubt me lapping the receiver or anything else made the difference, it was probably just the 1% off the line.

I have a premium BA 22" barrel on my 6.5 creedmoor and it is amazingly accurate. We are hitting clay pigeons at 1,000 yds laying on thr berm with about 2" showing IN ABOUT 5MPH winds. Ive held sub moa groups at 1,100 yds out of factory ammo(hornady 140gr ELD-M.

Reactions: AMP!
I have a premium BA 22" barrel on my 6.5 creedmoor and it is amazingly accurate. We are hitting clay pigeons at 1,000 yds laying on thr berm with about 2" showing IN ABOUT 5MPH winds. Ive held sub moa groups at 1,100 yds out of factory ammo(hornady 140gr ELD-M.

Have the same barrel in my AR and I’ve shot sub half MOA with it multiple times. Holds .75-1 MOA with hornady black all day. 10/10 recommend if you buy on a good sale. Don’t pay full price from BA, wait for a deal and they’re worth every penny.

Reactions: brian47374