• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ballistic AE .. what is it missing that you want..

Ring

Rifle Instructor
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Medina, Ohio
sites.google.com
what is it missing that you want added....

no is the time to talk, i am beta testing the new version, and Jonathan in in a coding mood!...

the DA in the HUD is now fixed, "trueing" has been added, the 53gr vmax and the newer Hornady bullets 178 BTHP, 208 BTHP, and the 225 BTHP just got added...

anything you want to see added, it bullets its missing?

EDIT: just made a full Ballistic AE How to setup and configure video..

http://youtu.be/iKa37jxUe8M

tell me how u like and if u need more..

EDIT 11/25/13
new vids..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkLW618IWuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8vBMD1CvG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhVeUN1m0z0

Last edited:
Re: Ballistic AE .. what is it missing that you want..

G7 BC's and more bullets as always for the library. I'd like to see bullet length automatically loaded under spin and stability when you select a bullet from the list, I don't think it does that.

All this is for the regular version of Ballistic, I don't have AE.

On the HUD, I noticed that if you have LOS on that it'll adjust the dope. If you turn it off without leveling the device, it stays at that dope for the previous LOS. Any way to have it default to o° when turned off? I can see where someone (like me
laugh.gif
) might forget to turn it on and it is showing a previous angle when it was turned off not near the current LOS.

Or am I not using it right and should be using it as a lock setting for getting my LOS before inputing the rest?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the HUD, I noticed that if you have LOS on that it'll adjust the dope. If you turn it off without leveling the device, it stays at that dope for the previous LOS. Any way to have it default to o° when turned off? I can see where someone (like me
laugh.gif
) might forget to turn it on and it is showing a previous angle when it was turned off not near the current LOS.

Or am I not using it right and should be using it as a lock setting for getting my LOS before inputing the rest?</div></div>

from john...

If you want to reset it to zero, just tap Settings and manually enter 0 in the LOS angle field. Turning the switch to "off" locks the los angle in, otherwise the user can't lock it and use their device (lets say they're resting it on the barrel to get a measurement).

Ballistic: AE (v3.2)

"HUD Settings"
* Density Altitude: units in 'ft', versus lb/ft^3

"Head-Up Display"
* Show value for DA. Currently showing "-" for the Altitude, Pressure, Temp, and Humidity fields when the trajectory settings for 'JBM Computer' for Atmosphere format is set Density Altitude. With AE set for DA, have no feedback that DA is even operational in the HUD.

Bottom Line: believe the DA feature works, but user does not easily "see" the DA values.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ability to figure out lead for movers?</div></div>

he just emailed me..
It's in 3.4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G7 BC's and more bullets as always for the library. I'd like to see bullet length automatically loaded under spin and stability when you select a bullet from the list, I don't think it does that.

All this is for the regular version of Ballistic, I don't have AE.</div></div>

it has all of the litz g7's in it now.... and others not done by litz u can convert

as of now....

Change Log:

- Minor artwork enhancements
- Added four new Hornady projectiles to projectiles library
- Added three new Hornady loads to loads library
- Changed "Drift is Zeroed" to "Windage is Zeroed" in the Spin Drift menu, allowing users to zero windage even when they're not calculating spin drift.
- Removed "Simple Mode" and added "Hide Fields" option to Settings, allowing the user to decide which fields they'd like to hide in the trajectory screen. Settings can be changed without restarting the app.

Enhancements:

Velocity Correction ("Truing"):
Added a feature to perform "truing" of data by correcting the velocity to match your actual trajectory. For example, if your shots are consistently high or low at the range, you can use this feature to recalculate your muzzle velocity to match the real world data, which could be off due to powder temperature, fouling, or other factors. To use this, tap on the muzzle velocity field in either the trajectory screen or the HUD, and enter up to five true points of impact and their ranges. By default, values are relative to your original calculation, so if the actual point of impact was 6 inches low, enter -6 for a drop and the distance. If the impact was 6 inches high, enter 6 for a drop. You may switch off relative offsets, and enter exact drop values for your trajectory (e.g. -293 in @ 1000 yards). Ballistic will calculate the closest muzzle velocity matching your data, allowing you to correct for muzzle velocity changes due to powder temperature, fouling, and other factors. NOTE: Not all problems with trajectory at the range are caused by velocity. Sometimes, the manufacturer's BC can be too optimistic, your scope could be off, or a number of other issues could arise. This feature is useful if you have historically shot at a known trajectory with a level of consistency, and due to changes in temperature or fouling, you are no longer achieving the same trajectory. If the change is indeed the velocity of the projectile, then the velocity correction should yield a trajectory that comes very close to your real world results at various distances. If you find that the correction doesn't resolve certain distances very well, the problem is likely something else.

Atmosphere overhaul:
- Fixed a bug in handling of Density Altitude atmosphere data in the HUD; the HUD had mislabeled the density field as lb/ft3, instead of in ft/m, and the mach field failed to convert temperature input into mach values. This has been fixed so that temperature can be provided as the input in the HUD.
- Corrected the defaults for Density Altitude atmosphere, and added better display of density altitude (and density of air) in the ballistics solution output.
- Corrected density altitude calculation when using a metric altitude
- Added density altitude and density of air data to HUD, instead of just displaying empty meteorological data. Snazzy!
- Fixed a bug where, in dentity altitude or density of air modes, when there was no "zero atmosphere", the zero atmosphere defaulted to a standard atmosphere, rather than mirrored the current atmosphere. This caused the application to assume you zeroed the rifle in a standard atmosphere, which could throw the results off if you didn't.
- Switched to using the temperature by default when in density altitude mode; temperatures are no longer auto-converted to mach, and will display whatever the user entered in teh HUD and ballistics solution. The user can still enter the mach, if they desire to do so, and that data will be displayed instead.
- Fixed a number of bugs related to default values for atmospheres, particularly when the type of atmosphere being loaded doesn't match the type of atmosphere set in defaults.

Lead:
Lead time has been added as an option in the trajectory page. Specifying a "target speed" will cause the additional columns to appaer.
- Also added a "Lead" dial to the HUD, allowing the lead to be dialed in, and included in windage values. NOTE: Lead dial can be turned off in settings..

Other Changes:

- Renamed Y-Intercept to "Zero Height"; This is the Y offset AT ZERO
- Added "Zero Offset" field; This is the X offset AT ZERO. NOTE: Using this will zero your windage, so if you're calculating wind or spin drift, this will also be zeroed.
- Added Red / Orange / Green colors to miller stability output to more easily identify if a bullet is stable
- Minor cosmetic improvements
- Reloading data is now turned on by default. Turn it off in Settings to remove the feature.

Bugfixes:

- Fixed a bug where the Max PBR Zero did not adjust for different vital zone radius values

- Minor cosmetic tweaks to the Advanced Wind Kit
- Minor cosmetic tweaks to the tab bar icons
- Added titles to the multi-value selection pages
- Added title to the about pages
- New application icon

- (Standard) Added better error handling of in-app purchases when no Internet connection is available. Also removed duplicate installation alerts when restoring purchases.

- (iPad) Added a popover for the "Distance" view when the "Maximum Range" button is tapped. When used, will set trajectory to calculate only for the specified distance

- Revised the advanced wind kit. Added pinch capabilities to wind bands to designate their coverage for each band. Also added a new switch to designate a wind band as having a constant velocity across the entire band, or linear (decayed) wind speed across the band's coverage area. Also added a yellow tint to wind sources indicating an upwind; the upwind velocity and constant/linear designation is also now shown in the description.

will be on apple as soon as they approve it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be able to input trajectory data in metric units.</div></div>

like? i think there is a general setting in settings for metric...

How bout being able to actually "true" your velocity in relation to your powder temp...not just your BC.

It seems that most programs have a powder temp, but as we know, some powders are more temp stable than others.

If you could list either your powder type, and then true how stable it actually is, then use that as a variable, rather than as a constant.

for example.

For me (this data will be simply for examples sake), lets say I'm using RL17 and notice that my velocity at powder temp of 30 degrees is 2900 fps. BUT, at a powder temp of 80 degrees it's 3020 fps. a 120 fps swing depending on powder temp.

Now for Varget, my velocity at 30 is 2840, but my velocity is 2865 at 80 degrees. Only a 25 fps swing with the same change in temp.

The type of powder could be set with a temp stability range (or something) so that the "powder temp" variable is actually usable and adjustable.

cbass,,,,

his email back...

Because powder temp adjustments are entirely arbitrary, and a guess at best.

I could add in an estimation in the reloading section but the user would have to enter an approximate velocity shift per degree or something... and that wouldn't be completely accurate.

If you think people are willing to live with that "guess" (some may be) it's not a bad idea

Jonathan

Hi, it's Jonathan...

The powder idea is a good idea, and I pursued this a while back, but there's very little credible data (and no real good formulas) out there to calculate velocity shift due to powder temperature. I have considered adding a velocity factor in the reloading section that you could populate with an estimate, for example 10 fps per degree (or whatever), but it would all be very approximate. Any other apps I see trying to do this are approximating as well, and not doing a great job at it.

As for metric... just go into Settings and flip whichever units you like to metric. You can change distance, atmosphere, and all other units.

Upgrades will be free through the App Store as soon as Apple approves 3.4... they'll always remain free (that's just how the store works)

Litz G7 BCs are in the advance edition and iPad edition.

I've updated the website with a lot of new upcoming features and screenshots. Feel free to check it out at http://ballistic.zdziarski.com

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, it's Jonathan...

The powder idea is a good idea, and I pursued this a while back, but there's very little credible data (and no real good formulas) out there to calculate velocity shift due to powder temperature. I have considered adding a velocity factor in the reloading section that you could populate with an estimate, for example 10 fps per degree (or whatever), but it would all be very approximate. Any other apps I see trying to do this are approximating as well, and not doing a great job at it.

As for metric... just go into Settings and flip whichever units you like to metric. You can change distance, atmosphere, and all other units.

Upgrades will be free through the App Store as soon as Apple approves 3.4... they'll always remain free (that's just how the store works)

I've updated the website with a lot of new upcoming features and screenshots. Feel free to check it out at http://ballistic.zdziarski.com

Cheers </div></div>

That seems like a logical explanation. However, are you saying that the temperature stability of a given powder isn't a notable variable?
What I was suggesting is that you not use a formula to calculate the shift for a user, but rather, let the USER input his own shift.

IF I have the ability to input a 180 fps shift over 50 degrees, it equates to only 3.6 per degree. Not much, but over 50-60-or 100 degrees, it's significant.
I realize you cant do this for every powder, for every person...but if there was a place to let the user do the test, and insert his own data (truing the powder temp variable), then it might be something usable.

I hunt during the winter when it's below zero...so I (plan to) test my loads for velocity by just putting them in the freezer over night and shooting them through the chrony at freezer temps. (probably 38 degrees).
I could input this temp into the program with a corresponding velocity or drop test, and do it again at 80 degrees, and enter that temp and corresponding velocity or drop test into the program to give a TRUE powder temp variable for that bullet, powder, charge combo.
Then, when my Kestrel gives up an actual Air Temp, (that my ammo has been acclimated to in a hunting or comp situation), the program will supply dope, in relation to actual velocity from an ACTUAL user provided powder temp scale.

Maybe to much, maybe my understanding of external ballistics isn't up to snuff yet...but it seems to make sense in my head
confused.gif

Would it be possible to have "user defined targets" in the logbook, or at least some common LE/FBI qualification targets. I have started using the logbook in addition to my traditional logbook and found that the electronic version lacks versatility. On my paperlog book I can log 20 shots, draw 4 or more targets and indicate size. Using the electronic version on Ballistic, I only track my cold bore shot, because anything else becomes either too cluttered or I have enter a new range session just to get a clean target to plot on. For added targets I would be happy with a full size head target. I currently use the graph. Possibly a way to indicate Point of Aim on the target. I would like the ability to make the bullet holes smaller or more to scale and possibly zoom in and out of the target. I like being able to quickly look at my cold bore data using the electronic logbook on Ballistic AE, I don't anticipate it replacing my paper logbook, but I see the electronic version as a tool with a lot of potential.

In the TRAJECTORY "Ouput Options" section the ranges and range increments are set in imperial. "Yards" and "in." are shown in blue and are not changeable, at least the way I'm trying to use it anyhow.

Just a global english/metric input-output availability would be nice.

c_bass16 OK so I've added a field named powder sensitivity; it's equivalent to the number of fps (or m/s) per degree of shift in temperature. In order for this to work, you'll have to have both a zero atmosphere and a current atmosphere set up... which shouldn't be a problem for precision shooters who are going to want to calculate to this degree of granularity. It will adjust the muzzle velocity in either direction depending on the delta in temperature.

My only concern is that warmer temperatures might have less of an impact on the velocity than colder temperatures... so this may end up turning into two separate fields.

A nice side effect in the way it was written in, is that the truing will take your powder temp into account. So if you change your powder sensitivity, you can have the application true up the correct velocity for you.

Killer_Spade_13 just go into Settings and change your units to metric; it should work fine.

Driftwood if you have some good images that I can incorporate into the range log, I'd be glad to add them.

Theres a ton of targets I COULD add... i'd rather add the ones people are qualifying with. What IDPA target would you say is the one you see most often?

Would it be possible to use the camera function to input the targets for the range log? Something similar to the way OnTarget calculator works. Then you could use anything you can snap a picture of or download.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would it be possible to use the camera function to input the targets for the range log? Something similar to the way OnTarget calculator works. Then you could use anything you can snap a picture of or download.</div></div>

i like that.....

In the future i'll end up having a photo field you can upload a photo of your finished target to... you'll be able to do a lot more with that than with a pic of an empty target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would it be possible to use the camera function to input the targets for the range log? Something similar to the way OnTarget calculator works. Then you could use anything you can snap a picture of or download.</div></div>

i like that.....</div></div>

this would be nice....

I'll see what i can do with the camera thing.. the cropping is the time consuming part. Apple's cropping only does 320x320, so I'd have to write custom code to crop to the full target frame.

How would you feel about a separate library for projectile length? Reason being I have lengths for bullets I don't have BCs for, and BCs for bullets I don't have lengths for... so would it be too inconvenient to tap on a separate disclosure and choose the load for the spin drift screen? I could probably merge them, however that might also get confusing as to what projectiles had what data available.

in "shooter" the auto length is only used for litz bullets...

that could be a good start...
also, i would only "auto" add it for match "type" rounds

no point in spin drift on bullets meant for under 300y use...

u can add more as time go's

I can certainly manage adding lengths into the litz library. I believe only a handful of bullets in that library wouldn't have a length. I'll make a point to include that in 3.5. Got a week or two before Apple approves 3.4 (estimating) so that'll be enough time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, it's Jonathan...

Cheers </div></div>

I haven't used this BC, but I am intrigued.

How does it do for calculations beyond 1000? I have heard of some issues with the iPhone/iPad being unreliable beyond those ranges due to limitations and being able to crunch the algorithms effectively.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, it's Jonathan...

Cheers </div></div>

How does it do for calculations beyond 1000? I have heard of some issues with the iPhone/iPad being unreliable beyond those ranges due to limitations and being able to crunch the algorithms effectively. </div></div>

That sounds like an excuse by whoever wrote the app that's doing that... my iPhone 4S is faster than most desktop computers from a few years ago. Ballistic can calculate whatever JBM can calculate, at whatever distances JBM can calculate it at, and with the same accuracy as the website. In fact, if you set the humidity to 78% on the website, the results should be identical to Ballistic's (he uses 0% humidity by default, I use 78)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, it's Jonathan...

Cheers </div></div>

How does it do for calculations beyond 1000? I have heard of some issues with the iPhone/iPad being unreliable beyond those ranges due to limitations and being able to crunch the algorithms effectively. </div></div>

That sounds like an excuse by whoever wrote the app that's doing that... my iPhone 4S is faster than most desktop computers from a few years ago. Ballistic can calculate whatever JBM can calculate, at whatever distances JBM can calculate it at, and with the same accuracy as the website. In fact, if you set the humidity to 78% on the website, the results should be identical to Ballistic's (he uses 0% humidity by default, I use 78)
</div></div>

Cool thanks. I'll purchas as soon as it hits the app store, i like what i see.

Just got a new 4s for work yesterday, Ill get this app as soon as the wife approves! lol

All upgrades get pushed to the phone as free updates... you don't have to wait if you don't want to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ashes,

Just where is the "Settings" in the app??? </div></div>

Tap on Apple's settings icon, and scroll down. All your apps have to plant their settings there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ashes,

Tap on Apple's settings icon, and scroll down. All your apps have to plant their settings there. </div></div>

Okay, just bought it. Anxious to run it. I do have a suggestion right off the bat however. Can you design it so that it can be synced via the cloud between your iphone and ipad?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ashes,

Tap on Apple's settings icon, and scroll down. All your apps have to plant their settings there. </div></div>

Okay, just bought it. Anxious to run it. I do have a suggestion right off the bat however. Can you design it so that it can be synced via the cloud between your iphone and ipad?</div></div>

That may at some point be a feature, but even without an iCloud account, you can use the iTunes file sharing to copy your favorites / etc off the phone and put them on your iPad. Tap on 'Apps' then scroll down in iTunes.

I'm an old fart fighting as hard as I can against technological advances . . . I can barely use a computer, much less a phone that 11111 to the 10th power smarter than I am . . .

I would put Path(mrad) or (moa) on the far left side of the HUD. Not inches. I would say that the majority of shooters use mrad or moa. It would just be nice to see your dope as the first thing you read.

Also, I just switched to the Galaxy S3. So an Android version would be really nice since I really love the program.

Thanks.