• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report ballistic apps for iphone

bronzepig

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
independence
anybody have any recommendations for ballistic apps fot the iphone; is the ballistic FTE best or are there better?

Re: ballistic apps for iphone

I really like Ballistic FTE.

Although the fact that inches is the first column in the HUD kind of irks me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: midkansasguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about one for the Droids </div></div>

Shooter (buy it and be happy)
Stelok Balistic Calculator
Lapua has one if you are using their bullets

ive got the streklok but its not as accurate. maybe i dont have all the right data put in... but its about three minutes off on elevation at 600yds with my .223

I use Bulletflight myself. I have been happy with it do I've to see the need for another one.

Midkansasguy: Any ballistic computer, whether on a phone or a 2,000$ Nomad is only as good as the info you give it. Unless there's a bug in yours then something else is going on. It could be your bullet speed(most likely), BC, or any combination of parameters than you can enter. What are using for your environmental readings, like humidity, temp, pressure? What you using to get your bullet speed? Once you eliminate those factors, or get really close you shouldn't see such a big variation. Then you fine tune the Ballistic Computer to your real world data. You can either adjust BC, or bullet speed to get it to match up. If you don't do that then you can expect the same results with any of the Ballistic Computers out there. Hope that helps you a little.

my BC is correct but i have not chrono'd my bullet speed i just went off the bullet speed from the load data. i bet thats it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: midkansasguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about one for the Droids </div></div>
Nothing beats the Shooter.

I've only used Ballistic on iOS but really got to like it when the option to use JBM was added. It's nice to have almost complete agreement between the web version of JBM and whatever you're using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronzepig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anybody have any recommendations for ballistic apps fot the iphone; is the ballistic FTE best or are there better?</div></div>

i have used them ALL...
"most" will give you the same data, but in terms of general usefulness and features and accuracy, Shooter is #1, #2 is ballistic FTE, distant 3rd is bulletflight, all the other "work", but no where near the usefulness and features of the above...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronzepig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anybody have any recommendations for ballistic apps fot the iphone; is the ballistic FTE best or are there better?</div></div>

i have used them ALL...
.....distant 3rd is bulletflight......</div></div>
I don't think you appreciate enough the ability to just turn it on and key in all the inputs on the same screen (distance, temperature, pressure, etc) in whatever units you happen to have them, without the need to convert from say meters to yards, etc. This is the one capability in my opinion that sets Bullet Flight apart from the rest, and makes it truly a "soldier's app". The other two - Shooter and Ballistic FTE - are great, no question. I use them often enough too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronzepig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anybody have any recommendations for ballistic apps fot the iphone; is the ballistic FTE best or are there better?</div></div>

i have used them ALL...
.....distant 3rd is bulletflight......</div></div>
I don't think you appreciate enough the ability to just turn it on and key in all the inputs on the same screen (distance, temperature, pressure, etc) in whatever units you happen to have them, without the need to convert from say meters to yards, etc. This is the one capability in my opinion that sets Bullet Flight apart from the rest, and makes it truly a "soldier's app". The other two - Shooter and Ballistic FTE - are great, no question. I use them often enough too. </div></div>

what i hate about bullet flight...

u cant set 1 gun to mil, 1 to moa
u cant set the "wiz wheel" to less then 25y jumps
u cant jump from the "wiz" to the range estimation
u cant compare loads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what i hate about bullet flight...

u cant set 1 gun to mil, 1 to moa</div></div>
Haven't tried, because I decided that all my scopes are MIL. Suspect you could set the program to MIL and configure one gun, then set it to MOA and configure the other one... It's the one feature that I really don't care for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">u cant set the "wiz wheel" to less then 25y jumps</div></div>
Yes that's an inconvenience. However I found that when I want to hit a specific target, I go to "Ballistic" option that allows me to key in the range precisely. The "wiz wheel" is more for playing, or for multiple targets - in which case 25 would be "close enough". I agree that it's a deficiency, but a very minor one. It's a compromise between the ability to scroll (turn the "wheel") quickly and have enough "selectivity" so you can hit multiple targets with reasonable speed and accuracy. I think 25 yards is a good enough compromise. I tried configuring 5m step in the Shooter - and that made the scrolling speed is too slow (the time it takes you to turn the "wheel" from one distance to another)...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">u cant jump from the "wiz" to the range estimation</div></div>
Yep, this is an inconvenience. But as I said, when I estimate the range - I go to the precise computation from there, not to the less-precise "wheel". Overall, I don't consider this as a deficiency.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">u cant compare loads</div></div>
This isn't something I find I need during the actual shooting, which is the one thing this program was designed for. I love to be able to compare loads - that's where Ballistic FTE shines over all the others, including Shooter (because Shooter only allows you to compare loads in the <span style="text-decoration: underline">same</span> caliber/firearm), but not necessarily on the firing line. I told Sean about this deficiency (in my opinion) of the Shooter load comparison and asked to add the ability to compare loads across calibers/firearms, he's yet to answer me (I guess his silence is his answer).

I'm writing one right now. Rather than a fully featured do-everything-you-can-imagine app, I'm considering keeping it focused on actual range use with a very straight-forward interface. Is that anything anyone would be interested in?

I have had good luck with bullet flight out to about 550 yards. after that my elevation was off. after playing with it some i was able to get it to match my drop charts that i tested out to 1000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johny B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had good luck with bullet flight out to about 550 yards. after that my elevation was off. after playing with it some i was able to get it to match my drop charts that i tested out to 1000</div></div>
Bullet Flight kept me on the steel at 950 yards (308 Win, 178gr AMAX), without any playing - just straightforward use. For the input I used chrono-measured MV and stepped G7 BCs from Bryan Litz's book. Distance was milled and then lazed to validate the numbers.

I have them all on my iPhone and shooter is the best. Spend the 10 bucks and you'll see. Highly recommended.