• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic ARC wind corrections are way too high

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
A few months ago I walked my 22 out to 400 yards. I noticed my wind holds in the calculator were way high.
Saturday I didn't have my wind meter with me. had a wind from right to left, pretty light so I guessed a hald mil right and hit 8 inch steel plate at 175 pretty easy.
Yesterday I go to the same spot, same targets, Wind is similar, maybe a hair higher, I have my wind meter and sync to BallisticARC. I got a left hold of 1.7 mil. I kanow that is going to be WAY too high. I think I dialed .5 or so left and hit 8 out of 10. Wind was gusting and my group was pretty wide.
Whay are the wind corrections 3x what they need to be? Do I have a setting wrong?
CCI SV. Elevation holds are perfect, maybe off by .1 to .2 if conditions are different and I have not updated the weather.

I have been talking to a few people. What they have said and what I have experienced seem to be similar.
Say the wind correction is 1.0mil right at 100 yards.... It's not 2.0 mil at 200 like the calculator says, its actually 1.0 to 1.2mil, because 1 mil at 200 is bigger that 1 mil at 100. Hold 3 inches at 100, then hold 6 at 200.
This makes sense. But I don't know how to fix it in the calculator.

So I'm still working on this. Last night my wind hold was supposed to be 0.8 mil at 200 yards. Seems the real number is always 1/2 to 3/4 of that, so I dialed 0.5 and I was almost dead on. Maybe should have dialed .4 or split the difference with a hold.
Anyway, does anybody have an idea on what to change in the calculator to get the wind closer? Or do I just commit to memory the 1/2 value?

The most likely issue is the wind angle is not entered correctly. A wind meter reading t the shooting position is not telling you what the speed and angle is at any point downrange. The speed at your position could be higher and the angle may seem directly R-L when at 100 yards it's half the speed or at 5 o'clock.

Presuming the drop calculation is correct, the BC and velocity entered is probably very close, so the calculated drift FOR THE VALUES ENTERED is very likely to be correct. The entry however, absent readings at points downrange at the time of the shot, for example using Wind Zero meters, is probably not the ACTUAL value.

Put another way, you think it's 4 mph dead R-L at 3 o'clock, when it's actually from 1:30 and therefore 1/2 the value of the 3 o'clock wind you entered into the computer.

The most likely issue is the wind angle is not entered correctly. A wind meter reading t the shooting position is not telling you what the speed and angle is at any point downrange. The speed at your position could be higher and the angle may seem directly R-L when at 100 yards it's half the speed or at 5 o'clock.

Presuming the drop calculation is correct, the BC and velocity entered is probably very close, so the calculated drift FOR THE VALUES ENTERED is very likely to be correct. The entry however, absent readings at points downrange at the time of the shot, for example using Wind Zero meters, is probably not the ACTUAL value.

Put another way, you think it's 4 mph dead R-L at 3 o'clock, when it's actually from 1:30 and therefore 1/2 the value of the 3 o'clock wind you entered into the computer.
I have a weatherflow and I am using GeoBallistics. I have noticed the wind dirretion is wrong in GeoBallistics and use the compass on the phone to correct the direction. Or I will plug in a couple airports around me and pick the one with the lowest wind reading.

I have a weatherflow and I am using GeoBallistics. I have noticed the wind dirretion is wrong in GeoBallistics and use the compass on the phone to correct the direction. Or I will plug in a couple airports around me and pick the one with the lowest wind reading.
Neither of those methods is going to result is correct input.you need to read the mirage and other visible telltales to get the correct angle and speed input.