• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic Backpack

okkaps

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2007
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
They are pretty well known and sold everywhere however since I have a lot of extra soft panels, I need to know what would work to cut and trim a (soft) ballistic panel down to fit into a backpack?

Hot wire, electric knife? Anyone successfully trimmed one up?

(I've played with scissors on a piece and that was useless because of all of the layers Kevlar...def needs something more commercial) Any ideas?

*In case this turns DIY or hasn't been listed... get some old vest ballistic panels (soft or hard plate) and fit them into your favorite backpack either where a laptop sleeve is or in mine it's where the hydration system goes...perfect fit although just a square or rectangle. Your panel will need trimming. Gives some basic protection if you have your backpack with you in town, out of town, etc. More importantly, outfit your child's pack with a small one for school and tell them to use it in case of emergencies.

Sure you can buy these but sheesh they are ridiculously priced and there is nothing to it. Anyway, back to my question of how to trim Kevlar? Thanks!

Last edited:
I have cut some IIIa with a pair of EMT/trauma sheers. You can usually find them for 5-10 bucks a pair.