• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic Calculator exact match!......?

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
I stumbled upon a ballistic calculator that just happened to match my data out to 500 yards percectly. I have only shot out to 500 so far, that is why I know it only matches my data out to 500. My question is do you think this calculator would be pretty close from 500-1000 yards? As soon as we get some crops harvested on the farm I will stretch it out, but in your experience, when your info matches the ballistic calc is it usually across the board?

My specs are

26" Krieger 1-12"
168 A-Max
42 gr of RE-15
2600 FPS.

Re: Ballistic Calculator exact match!......?

Ballistic calculators will probably all calculate the same elevations at 500 yards or less.

It's when you get beyond that where the differences will matter.

And all ballistic calculators require tuning to yield correct data beyond 800 yards. That's because your chronograph is probably inaccurate, so your muzzle velocity is wrong - and, besides, your muzzle velocity varies from shot to shot.

A ballistic program is good for giving you a starting point for shooting at long ranges in conditions which are markedly different from the ones you normally shoot in. Otherwise, field data is much more reliable.

Re: Ballistic Calculator exact match!......?

my nightforce exbal program matches my dope perfectly to 700yd after that shit really gets interesting. my 900yd dope is off aprox .75moa which i can live with and just make the notation and correct when need be. what i find to be the issues are degrading b.c. after certain yardage esp with the .308win. if you tweak your b.c. in your program you can get it to closely track your dope. it doesn't matter what dope you have even after field firing to confirm....it will change a little here and there due to velocity, changes in your reloading procedures, ambient weather, etc.