• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

?? ballistic coefficient for 7.62x54r

Pat M

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2005
Cashmere Washington
need ballistic coefficient for 7.62x54r 149 grain light ball (steel core silver tip) - something to put in the palm/phone ballistic computer

Pat M

This info: http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo025.htm is what I use, but I also think the BC listed here is kinda pessimistic, the bullet is so much longer than a USGI 147gr bullet that I have serious doubts about that listed BC.

The Hornady 3037 FMJ lists higher, but appears to be a lot shorter. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...in-full-metal-jacket-boat-tail-with-cannelure

I'm guessing a more accurate BC would be somewhere around .400, and conservatively at that.

Research puts the HDY 3037 at about 1.100-1.200" length, and the Russian .311 147gr at 1.268". To my feeble mind, that puts the x54R.net BC woefully lower than I'd expect.

For calculation purposes, I'd guestimate the 91/30 as putting the Russian .311 147gr FMJBT out at 2830fps with a BC of .400 or so. Right smartly, that...

The M2 Ball, O/O a Garand, puts a generic 150gr FMJBT bullet with about .398 BC out at a nominal 2740fps, and requires one more grain of powder to do it.

That extra 4 3/4" of 91/30 barrel length works wonders, doesn't it?

Please note the ballistic charts for the ammo in each rifle, at the bottom of the ammunition description page. As I recall, this info is based on observed drops, and I use it as a reasonable estimate of performance. My local shooting areas are at or around 1000ft ASL.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the data on that site to make dope cards for some of the 54r rounds through a standard mosin? If not id be up for sharing the work with someone and making a few in some of the more popular 54r bullets found.