• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ballistic Coefficients

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hey guys,
Anyone kno where to get a list of ballistic coefficients and muzzel velocities?
For .308 I'm shooting out of a 26" barrel and for 5.56 a 10.5"

To more specific I'm looking to update some ballistic software and I would like to get the following.

Black Hills 175gr.
Corbnon 175gr
Hornady tap 168gr
Federal Gold Match 168gr

xm193 55gr.
BH 77gr

Thanks guys

Be safe.
R.

Re: Ballistic Coefficients

Rick,

Unfortunately it isn’t that simple. Having a 26” barrel only tells you the length. Barrels have different twist rates, rifling and bore diameters which cause different pressures and thus different velocities. Your velocity out of your barrel could vary over another 26” barrel by a few feet per second to many of hundreds of feet per second.

You need to chronograph your loads. If you don’t have a chronograph I’d suggest getting one and if moneys tight, look for a Chrony chronograph, less than $80.00…I think.

Once you have a chronograph, the real fun and learning starts. You’ll be amazed at what you can learn about your loads and rifles, you can also calculate your exact BC of the bullet you’re shooting out of your rifle. Then you can apply that info to your ballistic program and you're good to go.

Hope it helps.

Re: Ballistic Coefficients

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rick,

Unfortunately it isn’t that simple. Having a 26” barrel only tells you the length. Barrels have different twist rates, rifling and bore diameters which cause different pressures and thus different velocities. Your velocity out of your barrel could vary over another 26” barrel by a few feet per second to many of hundreds of feet per second.

You need to chronograph your loads. If you don’t have a chronograph I’d suggest getting one and if moneys tight, look for a Chrony chronograph, less than $80.00…I think.

Once you have a chronograph, the real fun and learning starts. You’ll be amazed at what you can learn about your loads and rifles, you can also calculate your exact BC of the bullet you’re shooting out of your rifle. Then you can apply that info to your ballistic program and you're good to go.

Hope it helps.
</div></div>

+1...