• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ballistic Coeficent

Re: Ballistic Coeficent

I had originally estimated them at about .160, but this now appears to be a bit high. Truer numbers would probably be somewhere around .140.

Assume rough drops from 50Yd zero, 1.5" scope height:

100yd 5MOA
150yd 14MOA
200yd 22MOA.

These numbers will vary by barrel and ammo brand but can probably be considered broad-brush ballpark numbers. Barrels longer than 16"-17" probably don't gain anything ballistically.

Both the varieties you name are what I use mostly out of my scoped .920" diameter heavy barrel custom 10/22 and micrometer iron sighted Mossberg 144. They shoot mightyfine in those guns at 50yd, and will be invited to go further right soon, like maybe tomorrow morning.

Greg

Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack:
50 yard zero

25 yard +2 MOA
100 yard -5 MOA

Real world test on Marlin 25N done this past weekend. I don't remember any others right now. My BC worked to .139 so I'd say Greg is pretty much spot on there.

This W/E's accuracy exercises gave pretty close confirmation at 100yd and 150yd. The 100yd figure came across maybe a touch closer to 6 MOA, but the 150yd number was spot-on. Since outside commitments made a noon range departure pretty desirable, no efforts were made at 200yd. I think we'll try some at 200yd and 250yd next time at bat. Beyond that, I run out of distance to shoot.

BTW, there were cycling deficiencies in my 10/22 with the Fed Bulk ammo, but the Rem Golden Bullet Bulk stuff worked much better. I had similar problems with FGMM, and did the bolt mod where the bottom rear corner of the bolt gets radiused. I suspect there's more to the issue, but for now, I'm letting it go at that, since the main issue is much improved.

I have FGMM, but as I've said earlier; I'm not shooting it until I can augment my onhand supply.

Greg-

The difference we saw in drop at 100y might very well be from me shooting a 21" barreled bolt action vs. you shooting what I assume is an 18" barreled semi auto.

I'm heading to a 600y range on Sat morning. I plan to dope the stuff out to as far as I can repeatedly hit, so hopefully 300y or more. I'll post up what I see from it.

My barrel is probably within an inch of being illegal, short and fat (.920"), so your observations make sense.

Greg

For rimfire emulation (the term I choose to employ) of centerfire performance, I prefer to stay within a limit of 200yd, and to shoot my centerire targets at half their intended centerfire distance. Now this tends to be maybe more challenging than is properly proportionate, but my marksmanship can only benefit from the stiffer challenge.

When left to my own devices, I am both my own worst enemy, and my own stiffest taskmaster.

Yet, I manage to presevere regardless...

Screw the impossible, it's all just a myth anyway... I will die still criticising myself...

It took 66 MOA to hit a 400y standard silohuette today. It was pretty breezy so I never got a hit at 600yds, but inside of 400y was repeatable if I took the time to carefully think about what range I was attempting.

A couple guys shooting 600y offhand with an AR match gun were watching, when I was getting only the faintest of feedback one of them asked what I was shooting and what range. He was completely shocked to see repeatable hits with a 22LR at 400y.

After a few mags of that distance hitting the 2 MOA bullseyes at 200 was a little too easy. I spent too much time futilily attempting to get any idea of dope at 600y.

My stock table:

Range Elevn Wind
[yards] [MOA] [MOA]
50 0.0 0.0
100 6.3 9.7
75 2.3 6.3
100 5.9 8.9
125 10.3 11.8
150 15.7 15.1
200 30.20 23.0
250 39.10 27.9