• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ballistic Computer on my I-POD!!!

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
I'm sure this has been discussed here on the Hide somewhere but this thing is the SHIT!!! There's an Ap you can buy for around $12.00 for your I-Phone or I-POD TOUCH called "BulletFlight"! I may be a little behind the curve on this having only purchased it and my I-POD a couple months ago but...Damn! Have any of you seen or messed with this?! Gone are the days of notes stuck to your stock! Or little cards hanging from your scope! You simply enter the shooting conditions, which rifle you're shooting (Already previously saved in memory), and some ammo information and this little beauty actually tells you how many clicks and in which direction and... VOILA!!! IT IS DEAD-NUTS ON!!! I went to the range and tried it a few weeks ago. It WORKS!!! The reason I'm bringing it up now is because it was recently upgraded to have even more cool Stats. Everyone should have one of these!!!

...End of Pitch!

Re: Ballistic Computer on my I-POD!!!

A bit late there buddy, try another program called Ballistic FTE (Field Tactical Edition)

If you think BulletFlight is good, wait untill you try Ballistic.

At first glance BulletFlight appears to be easier to use, having not read the directions (What are directions again???), for a visual dummy like myself. I'll dig deeper into my new app! Thanks for the tip!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bit late there buddy, try another program called Ballistic FTE (Field Tactical Edition)

If you think BulletFlight is good, wait untill you try Ballistic. </div></div>

I am the developer of BulletFlight. Here is what I believe BulletFlight does better:

1. The calculations are much more accurate. I ran a comparison test, and compared to JBM, an accurate numeral solver, BulletFlight had something like 50 times less percent error difference for each point averaged from 100-2000 yards every 25 yards for a 175 M118LR .308. This is a fundamental. If you don't have this, you have nothing.

2. It has a profile system so you can configure your rifle/scope and those settings live on.

3. The bullet database and BC input are in the proper military ICAO format. Ballistic is in the civilian Metro format.

4. It will calculate actual BCs. Demanding users need this.

5. It has metric and imperial units visible at the same time, without having to change it in an option.

6. You do not need to exit the program and go to the iPhone settings to change options.

7. It gives output directly in scope clicks and other units at the same time.

8. It has a more advanced atmospheric system and does not use that public-domain model.

9. Sight-in weather is factored in and normalizes the zero.

10. It computes bullet stability with a more advanced/modern formula than Greenhil.

11. It does spin drift.

12. It does Coriolis.

13. The table units don't scroll off the screen.

14. Has a better rangefinder which does not make you select units in advance.

I own both. Ballistic is a fine program of its type (general purpose ballistic table maker). But overall, and for field use, I see no comparison.

http://www.knightarmco.com/bulletflight/

I think what is happening here is people buy a program and then defend their purchase religiously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bit late there buddy, try another program called Ballistic FTE (Field Tactical Edition)

I am the developer of BulletFlight. Here is what I believe BulletFlight does better:

1. The calculations are much more accurate. I ran a comparison test, and compared to JBM, an accurate numeral solver, BulletFlight had something like 50 times less percent error difference for each point averaged from 100-2000 yards every 25 yards for a 175 M118LR .308. This is a fundamental. If you don't have this, you have nothing.

2. It has a profile system so you can configure your rifle/scope and those settings live on.

3. The bullet database and BC input are in the proper military ICAO format. Ballistic is in the civilian Metro format.

5. It has metric and imperial units visible at the same time, without having to change it in an option.

6. You do not need to exit the program and go to the iPhone settings to change options.

8. It has a more advanced atmospheric system and does not use that public-domain model.

10. It computes bullet stability with a more advanced/modern formula than Greenhil.

11. It does spin drift.

12. It does Coriolis.

I own both. Ballistic is a fine program of its type (general purpose ballistic table maker). But overall, and for field use, I see no comparison.

I think what is happening here is people buy a program and then defend their purchase religiously. </div></div>

First off, let me say thanks for taking the time to come on the board contributing to the thread. That being said, I own both also, and for me, Ballistic works better, simple as that. It is spot on with my loads where as BulletFlight is usually off by a bit. Dont get me wrong, you have writen a very nice piece of software, and I will put it to use, but at the moment, ballistic fits the bill better for me.

USMCj

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bit late there buddy, try another program called Ballistic FTE (Field Tactical Edition)

11. It does spin drift.

12. It does Coriolis.

I think what is happening here is people buy a program and then defend their purchase religiously. </div></div>

He is right - buy them both and take an unbiased approach to the comparison. What one or the other does for you by providing a better "fit" for what you are doing makes it better for you - not necessarily better.

I drive a truck because I need the cargo space of the bed - that makes it better for me than a Ferrari - that doesn't mean it's better than a Ferrari!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, let me say thanks for taking the time to come on the board contributing to the thread. That being said, I own both also, and for me, Ballistic works better, simple as that. It is spot on with my loads where as BulletFlight is usually off by a bit. Dont get me wrong, you have writen a very nice piece of software, and I will put it to use, but at the moment, ballistic fits the bill better for me.

USMCj </div></div>

Thanks.

Accuracy is very important and I obsessed with it.

You may be using Metro BCs. Ballistic seems set up for Metro, BulletFlight uses ICAO. I wanted to use the military standard. Note that many bullet makers still use Metro, including Sierra, Barnes, Swift. Berger and Lapua use ICAO. If you want to convert a Metro BC to an ICAO, multiply it by 0.983. The database in BulletFlight is pre-converted.

I will personally support anyone here to get the most out of BulletFlight. Best to email [email protected] rather than PM me here.

If you can buy both, do so -- it is the only way to be sure. I don't have the FTE as he added that after I bought the other one and upgrades were not free. With BulletFlight, upgrades have been free.

Thanks for the offer to help, might take you up on that one of these days. Ill use it some more the next time I hit the range.

I'm still liking BulletFlight after digging around on Ballistic FTE. And the reason is the ease of use and the way I interact with the program. There appears to be a ton of information on FTE in the various screens but I don't navigate around the program very well. For me, BulletFlight is much faster and easier to get around. I'll try FTE the next time at the range and I'm not sorry I bought it (It's another tool in the tool-chest). Thanks for all the input!