• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic Computer --Which one?

Re: Ballistic Computer --Which one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any ideas?</div></div>

Yeah. Search the site.

would be if it was helpful....I just did a search and no go.

So - your profile lists your occupation as a Security Engineer, but your Google Fu is so weak that you couldn't find a post on ballistic computers on this site?

Sorry - but if you worked for me, you're fired.

I am not looking for a list of calculators but which ones work ... Have you tried the search... there so much stuff there it would take me weeks to walk through. As I am new to the site ... I am trying to see how I can search better. And yes I am an IT Security Engineer ...but the search engine is less then helpful ... or I dont know how to use it ... either way ... rather then be dissmissive .. you could have offered a bit of help ...

This will end well.....

popcorn.jpg

What are you looking to do with said program?

What platform will you be running the program on?

Crossing swords with Lindy it tantamount to walking into a Lion’s den with a pork chop overcoat.

Answer some defined questions and get some help.

Been there and done that... try walking into a congressional Inquiry, doesnt scare me. I am looking for what other people use here on the site that works... I have heard about the Night Force and the Delta IV. However, being in the computer industry .. all the sales marketing info avail will tell you that they do everything but when you actually get the product it is less then helpful. I recognize that I will need a pda of some sort for the app, with that said I dont want to blow any more money on faulty advertising. I was recomended to post it here... and here I am. As I am new to the board ... if this is not what is intended-please let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been there and done that... try walking into a congressional Inquiry, doesnt scare me. I am looking for what other people use here on the site that works... I have heard about the Night Force and the Delta IV. However, being in the computer industry .. all the sales marketing info avail will tell you that they do everything but when you actually get the product it is less then helpful. I recognize that I will need a pda of some sort for the app, with that said I dont want to blow any more money on faulty advertising. I was recomended to post it here... and here I am. As I am new to the board ... if this is not what is intended-please let me know. </div></div>

There is no issue posting here to ask a question... However asking "what is the best _________" is usually met with a mix of results. You're best and my best are most likely two different things.

In terms of ballistic computers, people use everything... iPhones, iPod, Androids, Windows PDA, Kestrels with the Horus built in... so asking "what is the best is usually not greeted well.

What is the best computer ?

A little vague wouldn't you say,

Boards have a dynamic, and the more you read the better you understand that dynamic which helps you ask better questions, which will result in a better answer. Or you can simply ask, what is the "best" and take what you get.

Try using the search engine linked to in my sig line instead of the forum software search...the Google engine is infinitely better!

Also, you will find that there are dozens of similar posts about various ballistic computers, programs, etc. that should more than adequately answer your question (or at least get you started). Once you have had a good read of the information that's out there already, you might try posting some more specific/detailed questions if you still have some.

Good luck!

“People” use the software that is specific to their requirements.
Perhaps you could start (like previously requested) what platform you will be running this on.

Would not recommend SORD if you are going to have your iPhone (software specific to your requirements)

The ball is in your court. To get help you first need to help those that would help you.

i use the shooter app on my phone and i also have a palm pda with atrag on it. they both work. the shooter app seems to be slightly more accurate, but it is easier to use because it grabs gps info directly without me having to input and also grabs info from kestral via bluetooth.

Thank you for that clairification... I appreciate it.. I am looking for an accurate calculator that is reliable and accurate preferably on the windows mobile platform .. but I am not anchored to that. The options that I would like to see are varible wind settings to compensate for the different wind conditions as they change going up the range. That is the main thing.

Are you looking simply for a program to run on any pc or a COMPLETE handheld setup? Can you tell us about how much you want to spend? What type of shooting ( ie hunting, tactical matches,F class shooting).Lots of folks on here will be glad to help but you need to communicate better....like someone asking you "whats a good software program?" Get it? Personally I have the Nightforce ballistic program ( on my PC) and it's very good, will get you a first round hit IF you plug in the correct values.Price was about $65, worth every penny.They have the same program that can be downloaded on an ipod I believe and I would not hesitate to use it.I understand Kestral has a new system out with ballistic software combined WITH their handheld meter that should be nice but I've yet to hear anything about it...my concern was that the screen size may be a bit small but it does seem to be fairly reasonable in price ($500 or so) for what you get.You can spend upwards of thousands if you want a mil-type unit that can be pissed on and dropped out of helicopters.

Thank you for the offer to use Google .. ya ... if you knew what I knew you would run ... very far away from anything google. Hence maybe that is why I was having issues in the search. Minus one post this has been helpful ... I will try to refine my request. I had the hope that there would be a short list ...

Thanks

Actually Exhogflyer this is a second carreer for me so money is of no concern... and I am looking for a complete handheld setup.

Thank you I will take a look ... was going to get the Nomad ... but before I took the leap wanted to see what was being used.