• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Precision Rifle Gear Ballistic Dial

flati

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2019
Eastern Ohio
Does anyone here do laser engraved scope dials (for yardage out to 1000 yards), would like to get one for my Leupold Mark 4 and Leupold is too expensive?

Does anyone here do laser engraved scope dials (for yardage out to 1000 yards), would like to get one for my Leupold Mark 4 and Leupold is too expensive?

Get a Quigley Ford, Leupold is shit in comparison.

Do most just use a label vs an engraved turret?

Most either range/measure/holdover using their reticle, or know the come-up for typical distances. For example I've been gathering dope for my Sig Cross for an upcoming elk hunt and I would dial 3.75 moa for a 300 yard shot with the Nosler ammo I plan to use. 200 is ~1.5 and 400 is around ~6.5. Gonna scribble that info on a piece of tape inside my scope cap in case I forget, but dialing a turret is dialing a turret whether you're going to the line marked 400 or 6.5

I plan to have Leupold laser a dial eventually but I don't know if I'll shoot this Nosler stuff forever so I'm holding on to my coupon for now.

I plan to have Leupold laser a dial eventually but I don't know if I'll shoot this Nosler stuff forever so I'm holding on to my coupon for now.
Hi,

Not only would you have to shoot that Nosler stuff forever; you would have to shoot in the same environmental conditions as well in order to get that laser engraved "dial" to work.

300' ASL change and it is now "off".
Change of temperature plus or minus 20degrees and it is now "off".
Etc Etc Etc

Sincerely,
Theis

You guys got me thinking differently now, thought everybody used an engraved turret but I agree with what your saying about the changes that would throw it off. Thank you guys!

Ive been printing small cards with the numbers from the dial that coincide with the yardage and taping it on the inside of my scope cap, gonna try that program and print a tape now, probably need some adhesive type of paper i would guess unless I can get it to stay put with tape.

If we are talking guys that never shoot above 400 yards at groundhogs, deer, coyotes with a fast moving caliber...
243, 270, 300
And always shoot xxxxx factory ammo, or reload same load

Then Might with just fine?...

You could also get one of the duo labeled dials that shows your yardage or mil / moa

Hi,

Not only would you have to shoot that Nosler stuff forever; you would have to shoot in the same environmental conditions as well in order to get that laser engraved "dial" to work.

300' ASL change and it is now "off".
Change of temperature plus or minus 20degrees and it is now "off".
Etc Etc Etc

Sincerely,
Theis

I understand what you're saying but I believe it would be insignificant on a hunting rifle which is my use case here. Here is a copy and paste from a Guns & Ammo article about shooting in varying temperature conditions:

With a .308 Win. cartridge, you can generally assume that for every degree of temperature change, you can expect approximately one to 1½ fps in velocity change. I can show the test results behind the generalization if anyone wants to see them. Let's look at what effect we might experience. To keep the math simple, let's work with the 20-degree change that the sniper manual mentions. That easily translates to a velocity effect of 20 to 30 fps.

You should note that there are modern, temperature-insensitive powders available that essentially eliminate even that change. My company, Black Hills Ammunition, uses these new propellants in our .308 Win. and 7.62x51 NATO 175-grain loads, and we are moving it to other .308-caliber loads, but for the purposes of this article, let's assume that the 20 to 30 fps variation still exists.

Decreasing the starting velocity from 2,650 fps to 2,620 fps at sea level with a 168-grain BTHP match bullet results in an added drop of 1.7 inches at 500 yards. Remember this, because we will now check the external ballistic effect, then combine the two effects to see what the total effect actually is.

EXTERNAL BALLISTIC EFFECT

The difference in air density resulting in a change from 80 to 60 degrees amounts to a bullet-drop difference of .9 inch at 500 yards. The combined internal and external ballistic effect of a 20-degree temperature change is 2.6 inches at 500 yards, approximately half MOA.

The "one MOA per 20 degrees of temperature" rule does not become true until 700 yards, even when combining the internal and external ballistic effect. The variation may be half MOA at 500 yards, but it's less than that and absolutely insignificant at the more common law enforcement engagement distances of 200 yards or less. The effect is less than the change in point of impact that you can induce by changing body position or failing to adjust your parallax. I submit to you that it is so insignificant, you should ignore it altogether.

Ive been printing small cards with the numbers from the dial that coincide with the yardage and taping it on the inside of my scope cap, gonna try that program and print a tape now, probably need some adhesive type of paper i would guess unless I can get it to stay put with tape.
I use 3m clear bra over labels on my gear and if I do a hasty turret label. You can pick small rolls on Amazon. A million uses...... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3IXSMA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_J0G5VZ8TB5KRJ3BQSB87?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1