• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ballistic programs

stenger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2009
western Pa
i have a night force program which is awesome when i change the bc value. I hear you all talk about using different bc values for different ranges is there a way to change the values for a certain range without changing the whole program.example my program puts me dead on for 400 yards but if i follow the chart i am low at 600 yards it seems i have to change the bc for 600 to be more accurate. Or is there some other way to do this. i am only about 6 inches low but want to get it better gun shoot less than .5moa at 600. hope this is clear to everyone

Re: ballistic programs

Are you saying that you are 6 inches low at 600 yards? That's 1 MOA off. Did you enter the meteological and environmental values correctly? Don't be offended by the stupid question, but that's a bit off at that range. My freebie calculation from JBM is much more accurate than that out to 1600 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you saying that you are 6 inches low at 600 yards? That's 1 MOA off. Did you enter the meteological and environmental values correctly? Don't be offended by the stupid question, but that's a bit off at that range. My freebie calculation from JBM is much more accurate than that out to 1600 yards. </div></div>

Please fill out your profile, so we can help you more.

(Don't forget Corlis effect also.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (Don't forget Corlis effect also.) </div></div>

At 600?

What ?

Spin drift can have an effect at 600 yards

Are you sure you scope clicks are moving the amount they are stated to?
Example: ¼ “click = .250 inches at 100 yds.
However, your ¼ “click may only actually be moving .200 at 100 yds.

Just a thought

The program allows the use of different BCs in velocity ranges. You'll need to go to the option page, and look for "Multi Ballistic Coeff" or "Edit Ballistic Coefficients", depending on what platform you are running the program on.

However, I doubt that the program could be off 6 inches at 600 yards if it's correct at 400. I suspect that you don't have the program properly set up.

Welcome to the 'hide.
I agree with Lindy, but I also am beginning to pay more attention to density altitude than previously. The more I learn about ballistics and ballistic programs, the more I see the value of real documented field DOPE. I can never seem to get any programs to run 100% on all the way out, even with an old standard like 168gr 308's.
Density altitude has explained a lot of the anomalies I have seen when trying to use comomputer generated dope that doesn't account for DA.
When the economy turns around I will be getting a Kestrel 4XXX.....

All computer ballistic programs account for density altitude.

Density altitude is simply a single-number representation for air density, which is computed using three variables:

1. Barometric pressure.
2. Temperature.
3. Humidity, i.e., the moisture content of the air.

Those variables must be put into any ballistic program for it to predict ballistic performance correctly.

So, if you're using a ballistic program, and not entering those same variables, you're not using the program correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I'm with AQC.

Shooters are often quick to monkey with the BC because it's the most mysterious number. Granted, sometimes it's advertised way off, but that's not the only problem. VERY OFTEN shooters take their sights for granted, meaning that it's assumed that the clicks are moving the reticle as advertised. So often that's not the case though, and tireless hours are spend conjuring different BCs for different ranges when the real problem is the scope clicks not being what's expected.

I recommend checking your true scope movement at close range. Shoot a group at 100 yards, move the scope 10 MOA and shoot another group. When you measure how far apart the two groups are you'll KNOW how much your scope is actually moving.

Good shooting,
-Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All computer ballistic programs account for density altitude.

Density altitude is simply a single-number representation for air density, which is computed using three variables:

1. Barometric pressure.
2. Temperature.
3. Humidity, i.e., the moisture content of the air.

Those variables must be put into any ballistic program for it to predict ballistic performance correctly.

So, if you're using a ballistic program, and not entering those same variables, you're not using the program correctly.
</div></div>

Now that you put it that way, it is obvious. I guess I was referring to the quandry I have regarding input, such as station pressure vs corrected pressure for altitude, etc....
Having a weather meter that gives the shooter one number (DA) that takes those factors into account at the moment and location of the shooter and shot seems to be the way to go.
I've been stumped by why my program didn't match my shot at times in a new to me AO where the factors were a close guess based off publicly reported info, but when correlated to another shooters DA number I missed the boat.

I guess I'm trying to say is I agree 100%: trash in, trash out. But accurate DA measurement and a program with a DA input would seem to simplify matters greatly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I was referring to the quandry I have regarding input, such as station pressure vs corrected pressure for altitude, etc....</div></div>

This article will explain how to correctly input pressure variables into several ballistic programs with data acquired by a Kestrel.

Barometric Pressure and Ballistic Software

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But accurate DA measurement and a program with a DA input would seem to simplify matters greatly.</div></div>

Not once you understand how to put data into the standard software correctly.

The concept of density altitude really has only one useful feature. It will allow you to use a ballistics program to print an elevation table for various ranges based on density altitude which you can use without carrying a ballistic computer in the field, assuming that you have some way to calculate density altitude like a Kestrel or a manual method.

This article explains how to do that: Making Ballistic Cards Using Density Altitude

But if you have a portable ballistic computer, you don't need the concept of density altitude - except perhaps as a backup in the field if your computer fails.

As the Chairman of the Department of Redundancy Department, I quite natually think that's a splendid idea.
laugh.gif

BTW, JBM Ballistics now prints Density Altitude tables. See:

JBM Density Altitude Ballistic Cards

It will only do 10 DA steps at a time, but you can just do multiple iterations if you want more than that.

i was using a kestrel weather meter and entered the values from that. i have experienced that for the program to move my point of impact at 600 yards i must change the bc value a lot. i mean a 6.5 match bullet has a posted bc of around .59 and for my program to be on at 600yards i have to change that to almost .70, now i know thats not correct. It will be high at 400 and dead on at 600. i have noticed that after i enter the pressure and hit calulate it defaults back to the estimated numbers. not the most computer literate person here. i dont have much confidence i the program thus far. i have 7 match gun in the progra and it is off for all seven. its always off on the verticle adjustment.

I've got no experience with the Nightforce software so I can't help you directly, but it seems strange that it won't let you change some of the inputs away from default.

One comment regarding density altitude...

It is a convenient way to sum up most of the effects of atmosphere, but there is a flaw. The speed of sound is dependent on air temperature, and a bullets drag coefficient is related to it's Mach number, which is related to the speed of sound.

For example, if you have a 100 degree day at sea level, your DA might be 1000 ft. Also, if it's 20 below at 2000 feet ASL, your DA might also be 1000 ft (just making up numbers for the example). Now in both cases, the DA is 1000 ft, so the air density is the same in both cases. However, the speed of sound is way different at 100 degrees than at -20. This will affect how the bullet flies. If your not telling the program what the air temperature is in addition to DA, it can't account for the temp affect on Mach.

Again, most of the challenge is getting density right, and strictly considering DA is good enough for that. However, it's not a complete solution.

Take care,
-Bryan

Actually, there is another potential flaw with using density altitude tables, in that muzzle velocity is also a function of temperature. So, one must take that into consideration as well.

JBM does allow one to enter a pair of high and low temperature/velocity pairs, which will enable it to compensate for that, assuming that the velocity change with temperature is linear.

You'll want to have the reference altitude in the Kestrel set to zero, so that what it calculates is station pressure.

Then you <span style="font-weight: bold">must</span> uncheck the box labeled "Calculate Standard Pressure". Then you can enter the station pressure in the pressure window. Hit update, and you should be OK. To check it, go back to the Field Conditions screen, and you should still see the station pressure you entered.

That's the way the Exbal software works, and I believe the version of Exbal packaged by Nightforce should work the same way.

See:

Barometric Pressure and Ballistic Software

Thanks Lindy. Once again the arcanamaven is an excellent source of info.
Did you tell Frank about the MV/temperature thing??

I assume if my program has no place to enter altitude, I should be using station pressure as an input? I've been playing with the 1" pressure per 1000ft elevation and that brings things much closer. I just have a simple wind/temp meter and have been relying on weather report for pressure and humidity (I know the latter hasn't too much effect until you get pretty far out there). A multifunction meter is on my short list.

stenger-something ain't kosher if you have to modify a 6.5's BC that much at 600yds.
What chronograph are you using?

Have you ever seen anyone, who was about 3 moa high at 700m (cca 770yd) in comparision with calculated ballistic data chart?

I know one shooter who tells me, he put every data OK, but chart is so much off

CED Crony. getting great readings. correct me if i am wrong but the program is mostly set up when you get it right? i put in the altitude, presure, BC, speed, sight height and all other information. thats all there is to it right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever seen anyone, who was about 3 moa high at 700m (cca 770yd) in comparision with calculated ballistic data chart?</div></div>

I have certainly seen errors of that magnitude, which is about 24 inches.

There are many possible sources of an error of that size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What program are you using?
</div></div>

PocketSharpShooter'sFriend on Palm (I know, I know), but I've ran it against JBM, Precision Shooter's Workbench (Blaine's first go-round), and the one on my 5.11 watch (used to be billed as Horus) and its within a 1/4 minute. It has a pressure entry but no altitude, and like I said when I take off 1" mercury per 1000ft it does much better.

OK. I have never used that program, and don't know how it works, so I have no useful advice. If it works better as you describe, I'd use the station pressure from a Kestrel.

Exbal works great on a Palm, and it's not expensive.

Its a free download, but its pretty intuitive. Has mil ranging that will imort the result to your solution if you like, and it can save multiple rifle/scope/zero combos, and many loads.
It doesn't give tables, just individual shot solutions.
If you have a palm it may be interesting to play with.

I didn't like exbal, it wasn't easy to work on my phone (palm centro). I guess too mant steps just to get my shot info.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/calculator/pocketssf(sharpshooterfriend).shtml

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What ?

Spin drift can have an effect at 600 yards

Just a thought
</div></div>

Not enough at 600y to be an issue. It doesn't really come into play until 1000y and beyond.

R.

As an FYI - Blaine Field sent over one of the first FFS Programs located on a chip you insert into the SD slot.

So far I am loving it, the ability to calculate MV from your dope is kick ass, as you never have a chronograph in the field when you need one.

Look for a full review next week some time as I play with it more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far I am loving it, the ability to calculate MV from your dope is kick ass, as you never have a chronograph in the field when you need one. </div></div>

What??? Your iPhone doesn't have a chrono app with plug in screens??? Apple's dropping the ball...

I did download an App for chronographing a loads, only problem was when I started it, a target appeared on my iPhone screen and said "Shoot Here" .

never had those issues, with the ones I use ( patagonia Soft, QuickTarget and FFS) but with all soft it all depends on INPUTS.
Check them
ed

I fould the problem i did my initial testing at 400 meters or so i thought. the range where i shoot has banks in meters and yards and i was actually shooting 400 yards. i set the BC and program think i was shooting meters when really i was shooting yards. This range goes 100 meters, 200 yards, 300 meters, 400 yards, 500 meters, 600 yards i dont know why. works great now!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> recommend checking your true scope movement at close range.</div></div>

Good idea - but you don't have to shoot to do that.

Optically Checking Rifle Scopes

BTW, Bryan, I'm greatly enjoying your book.

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/Book.htm
</div></div>

I have just paid for this book too in the group buy section by Daveinmidga, I cant wait to get it !!