• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ballistic Programs

gregsjt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2007
Idaho
I know this probably gets asked to death, but I'm desperate. What do you guys like for exterior ballistics programs. I've had Exbal from Nightforce in the past, but after a computer crash I can't get it to install correctly. I like Exbal, I'm just wondering if something better has come along in the last 5 years.

Re: Ballistic Programs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this probably gets asked to death...</div></div>

Yeah, it does.

So you'll take the time to post that, instead of just typing Exbal, JBM, or something else? Come on Lindy you're supposed to be some type of guru, help me out.

I tried a few and really like loadbase 3 from Patagonia Ballistics....Lots more than just a ballistic program in the desktop version...

OK, my personal opinion (as you should know by now, everybody got at least one of those.
wink.gif
), based on what I used.

On an Internet-connected desktop/laptop I'd guess JBM Online Online is a very good (and free!) choice.

On an iPhone/iTouch - Ballistic FTE (from $9.99 to $19.99) is the greatest (and it uses JBM engine), and Bullet Flight (from $3.99 to $29.99) has the easiest interface (and support answers emails within one day). Some people like iStrelok, I haven't tried it.

On a Blackberry - the best (the only?) available program is GunSim (the author also offers desktop ballistic software). <span style="text-decoration: line-through"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #660000">Hold off with this - the program broke with the latest unrelated update of RIM app, and the author hasn't responded yet. So for now it's broken.</span></span></span><span style="font-style: italic">The author has fixed the bug.</span>

There's freeware GNU External Ballistic Calculator (GEBC), but it's (a) not very accurate, and (b) needs debugging & porting. On the other hand it's available in source code.

Oh, and I don't like Exbal and spreadsheet-based ballistic programs.

Does this help?

What are the spread sheet versions called and where can they be found. Just curious in the actual format.

Loadbase 3, or FFS. As for internal you can't beat QuickLoad and external Quicktarget Unlimited that comes with it.

I got QL and QT quite recently and haven't spent a lot of time with it.

I can't figure out how to make QT or QT unlimited output mils.

I like QL but so far I wouldn't pay anything for QT. Maybe I just need to force myself to use it enough to learn to use it better. Does it do anything useful that you can't do with JBM?

Also, on topic, I like JBM and Shooter for Android devices is great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Loadbase 3, or FFS. As for internal you can't beat QuickLoad and external Quicktarget Unlimited that comes with it. </div></div>
I'd like to hear your comparison between Loadbase 3 or FFS to JBM Online, i.e. what would be the advantages of using say FFS instead of JBM.

QTU uses radar data which IMHO is its main (and only) advantage. The disadvantage however is that the bulk of the radar data it has is for Lapua bullets. So if you're a Lapua fan - you're in luck, but if you're using other (and more exotic) bullets - SOL. Another disadvantage IMHO is that QTU (and QL) run only on Windows boxes. I for example run only Linux and Mac (local shop rules).