• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic suitcase???

WB300

Cranky Yankee
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2011
GA
I'm looking for a case of some sort than can hold a pistol, rifle (M4), or shotgun that has a live round stuck in the chamber and cannot be cleared immediately while on a range with people around. Something that if the round were to go off while in this case, the projectile (not armor piercing) and blast would be contained in the case. Typical handgun calibers, 12 Guage, and 5.56.

I figure that the case will be a one-time use only if the round went off while inside and that's OK. This case would be to used to transport the pistol, rifle, or shotgun to a different location (other range or armory) to be worked on by armory staff.

Does anyone know of a company that makes such a product???

Thanks in advance.

Ha! I may need to design one and sell it to the G if something like it doesn't already exist.

It feels like if someone is "expecting" to have stuck live rounds so often as to need an "Accidental Discharge Stuck Round Case" for off-range transport ... then this is something that happens to them more than "zero" times ... which requires a whole different set of questions. :) Seriously though ... I've never heard of a case built sufficiently strong to hold a discharged 5.56 bullet. Although I will admit to having a 9mm accidental discharge (it's a long story from several years ago) where the bullet stuck in my cable modem (that sits on my gun-desk) and didn't come out the other side. The funny part of this story is that the Cable Guy that came to replace the modem said he'd had "5" of these during his career, but this was the first time it was an accident. The other 4 shot modems were the result of family arguments over TV programming options. (True story!)

• Haha
Reactions: mtrmn
I can understand the need for one. A couple years ago my S&W M&P 9mm got jammed with a round in the chamber. No amount of force (that I was willing to impart) could get things to move. What to do? Local shop that deals a lot with military surplus firearms gave it a try...the gunsmith ended up hammering on it...I don't remember if it was on the slide or a wooden dowel down the barrel. Turned out the primer came out of the casing and was causing the jam. That was the last time I purchased any Winchester "white box", which is what the ammo was.

• Wow
Reactions: BurtG
I can understand the need for one. A couple years ago my S&W M&P 9mm got jammed with a round in the chamber. No amount of force (that I was willing to impart) could get things to move. What to do? Local shop that deals a lot with military surplus firearms gave it a try...the gunsmith ended up hammering on it...I don't remember if it was on the slide or a wooden dowel down the barrel. Turned out the primer came out of the casing and was causing the jam. That was the last time I purchased any Winchester "white box", which is what the ammo was.
Early in my reloading career, I had this happen a couple of times with rifle calibers. Transported home with rifle broken down so that upper and lower were separated and used an old cleaning rod and small hammer in my garage vise pointed at the exterior wall. No problem solving it. Ever since then, I've kept that old cleaning rod and small hammer in my truck to clear at the range, but have never had to use them. Needle-nose plyers are a gotta-have at the range too.

I guess I don’t see the difference between having a loaded weapon in the backseat/trunk/truck bed while also having one tucked in your waistband. A majority of us carry concealed so I’m going to assume you do as well. Should we keep our CCW in a ballistic holster?

Why can’t you just break the weapon down in whatever way is possible to prevent an accidental discharge during transport? Remove the slide, pull out the trigger group or BCG, remove the bolt, etc?

Edit…I guess, depending on the firearm, you might not be able to break it down. Like a pistol that requires you to pull the trigger to remove the slide or something. But still though…we carry loaded weapons on our person daily. This shouldn’t be that big of a deal or at least I wouldn’t be concerned with it.

Or you could get one of these:

Bomb trailer hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Reactions: Kalthoff
I once borrowed a Ruger Red Label O/U shotgun from a friend to try out and see if I'd like to buy one. I took it to the local Sporting Clays range for an "afternoon" of shooting. On the FIRST stage I called "Pull" on a following pair. Busted the first bird, then pulled the trigger on the second one and...nothing. Trigger was jammed, safety was also jammed in the OFF position. No amount of fiddling could get the breech open or the safety back ON. It was locked shut with the safety locked OFF on a live round. The best shotgun smith lived in the middle of town, so I ended up driving through town with the sliding rear window of the truck open and the barrels of the shotgun pointing out that window. I was amazed I didn't get pulled over by a city cop. I was also amazed that the smith knew exactly what was wrong (the single-trigger didn't cycle and had everything locked up) and that he had a dent in the concrete inside his shop near the vice from a previous one with a similar problem that went off when he disassembled it. Fortunately, this one came apart without any drama. I returned it to its owner with a warning that it might need a visit back to Ruger, and bought a Browning.:oops:

• Wow
Reactions: Kalthoff
^^^^^^^^^^

This is kinda what I'm thinking about. I guess potential damage to buildings (indoor range), vehicle, or sending a round God knows where could be mitigated by placing the gun in a case of some sort while transporting home or to a gunsmith.

Thinking seriously about this, I suppose a cup made from heavy steel with the bottom made from AR500 steel that could be slid over the end of the barrel would do the job. At least it would impart a margin of safety versus just throwing it into your trunk. I would gladly risk destroying the firearm if it prevents a ND to God knows where...

Even with some AR500 formed in to a cup at the muzzle end would be a problem I think. The spall would be a problem still and the momentum would also cause the cup to move too unless scured.

Maybe an AR500 small plate wrapped inside of a ballistic vest inside wrapped a round the muzzle inside of a soft case?

If you have to have one, why not just weld one up that is made of the appropriate thickness and type of steel? Pretty easy to do and you can make it fit your dims.