• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistics App for iPhone/iTouch users

thekubiaks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2007
39th Parallel
There is a fantastic Ballistics App for the iPhone/iTouch now called Ballistics FTE (Field Tactical Edition) This app is loaded with everything you can think of and is extremely useful for long range shooters.

http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/

I don't have any affiliation with the author but am really happy with this app.

Re: Ballistics App for iPhone/iTouch users

I prefer Bulletflight.It seems a little easier to use for me.

i have the fte version also, most of all the data is within +-3 moa of my nightforce program....

i have both and was a little disapointed neither had the federal match 308 but the fte does let you use current weather and altitude from the closest airport

Surely you can enter your own data for whatever load you're shooting, rather than relying upon some canned data.

If not, the program sucks.

yes you can load your own data on both but it seems everytime i close the program it does not save it on either do you guys have the same problem?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okfornow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes you can load your own data on both but it seems everytime i close the program it does not save it on either do you guys have the same problem? </div></div>

In order to save the data you put into the program you need to add to favorites. Then you should be able to go to favorites and find it there so you don't need to input all the data again.

oh yes that is great now i can save it and after working with ballistics i was able to find almost every off the shelf load that i use and i think at this point ballistic fte is by far the better program<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okfornow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes you can load your own data on both but it seems everytime i close the program it does not save it on either do you guys have the same problem? </div></div>

In order to save the data you put into the program you need to add to favorites. Then you should be able to go to favorites and find it there so you don't need to input all the data again. </div></div>

I have the LetFly app for my iPod Touch. I got all excited thinking this was going to be the be all end all. Just range the target, determine wind, and angle to target, and punch some buttons. Not so.

While it works fairly well for ranges under ~500 yards, the inaccuracies of the calculations show themselves at longer ranges. I was testing at around 750 yards with my Tikka T3 Varmint w/ 168gr Federal Gold Match, and it was a couple minutes off. In order to do it properly you really need a chronograph so that you can figure out MV and BC. Once you figure out those and find the velocity at various ranges you can match it to a drag model.

It does save a bunch of time making a dope card, as all you basically need are muzzle velocity and the velocity of atleast 2 other known ranges to get an accurate model. It's pretty fun to play with, but if my life was on the line I would still prefer hard facts (aka a range card).

If you are familiar with JBM you can get Ballistic to return the exact same results. The new version has the JBM engine as an option. Use Favorites and if using mils set the reticle pref to USMC to get the correct drops.

Beyond that, as with any program get your input as accurate as possible. You need an accurate BC, the right drag model, MV, scope height all to be correct. Read what Lindy had to say about station pressure (search). Basically, you either need the station pressure and no altitude or corrected pressure and the altitude.

I've had very good luck with FTE running data charts for a given Altitude Density(AD). The only number I use are Pressure and Temp to get the desired AD. For example around here in the summer 7000 AD and 9000 AD cards work well.
For 7000 Pressure is 23.09 and Temp is 34
For 9000 Pressure is 21.38 and Temp is 26.9
for actual altitude and all other fields I put in 0

There are other Pressure and Temp number combinations that will get you to the same AD. I just use these ones from a flight chart for AD.

This link has an AD calculator that seems to work well.
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

I've used FTE with my 7wsm, 260 ,308, 338LM, 50 and a bunch of other calibers and it's pretty much right on for me.

It does help to have good chrono numbers if you want to program to be good out at the longer ranges. The data has been good enough for me to win matches with

+1 on Bulletflight

I first got the ISnipe, looked great at first, until I got BulletFlight.. I noticed that there was much difference in the two apps. ISnipe was way of compared 2 BulletFlight, and the worst thing is I could not see any probs before getting the second app. But as I found out, on my Lapua Scenar 167gr bullets in ISnipe that round, under same conditions ran sub-sonic @ 600-700 meters, about 1000 meters in BulletFlight, that gave me at 600 meters, 7,3 mRad up in ISnipe, 5,2 mRad ind BulletFlight..
If I had not compared those two, I would have had a hard time figuring what went wrong on the range..

So what is the best of the two apps there was one with a picture out of a helicopter being used in Afganistan?
I am going to pick up a Itouch today and would like to load an app to try
Bill

BulletFlight was dead on at 200 meters.. I just got a hold of my Iphone short time ago, so I havent used it on shoots longer than 200!!!
There is a price diff. too. BulletFlight is a little more pricey..

Saying a ballistic program is dead on a 200 meters is saying nothing.

If you tell me what your bullet is and the muzzle velocity, I can predict your elevation at that distance without a ballistic program.

Raydog said, <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are other Pressure and Temp number combinations that will get you to the same AD. I just use these ones from a flight chart for AD.</div></div>

Having spent time in your AO, one thing I know is that the temperature in the summertime is quite a bit warmer than the ones in the ICAO Standard Atmosphere. That means your muzzle velocity, which is a function of temperature, will be quite a bit higher than it would be at the standard temperature.

On longer shots, that will make quite a difference, and is something to be kept in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okfornow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have both and was a little disapointed neither had the federal match 308 but the fte does let you use current weather and altitude from the closest airport </div></div>

You can't find FGMM 168s in ballistic? It is in there under the loads tab, next to projectiles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okfornow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the fte does let you use current weather and altitude from the closest airport </div></div>

Same with Bulletflight.

there is no DA field in Ballistics. You have to put in the data separately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does Y-intercept mean? </div></div>

Y-Intercept: The desired drop (or rise) to compute at zero range. This is normally zero.

I use them both and will admit that BulletFlight seems easier to work with...BUT. The advantage of being able to log every shot and mark it on the target either a cross hair style target or a deer target is great.
You can log the shots for each load, log the shots during testing. in that sense, i'd say its just like a range card with "hard dada" as long as you dont go out and get a bullet hole through your iTouch. I dont think Apple makes em like NightForce does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CWCruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does Y-intercept mean? </div></div>

Y-Intercept: The desired drop (or rise) to compute at zero range. This is normally zero. </div></div>

Can you elaborate a little more, still a little lost?

Y-intercept I believe is if you are sighted in at 100 yards, but say 3 inches high, etc.

Great program for the price and the handheld I touch works great just have to get more field time in and longer ranges over 1000 yds to tell how accurate it is.
Bill

I can't figure out how to save a projectile.

Nor do I understand how to change drag models properly. I can change the drag model but the BC is not correcting. For instance, when I choose Gov't 175gr M118LR, it shows a BC of .252. That's in G1 drag model. Then I change the drag model, thinking that it should then reflect something more like .505 and it doesn't.

I have compare my Itouch using BulletFlight to my field data. It is dead nuts on from 600 to 1100 yards. If all the data is inputed right. It should be on. The one thing I had to adjust was the scope height to the correct measurement. Once I did this it match.

which Bulletflight? basic, L1 or L2?

I just lost my bulflight programe 3.0.1 of my phone and went onto the itunes to redownload it but it is not there ??? Anyone know how one goes about contacting itunes as I am not sure how to do that so I might redown load 'Its not the first or last time Ihave lost a program off the iphone but I have always been able to redownload before .cheers

i did the same thing and if you go back in to the app store and click purchase it will say re install and it doesnt charge you i have done this several times.

I found and rang the service number for itunes -put through from apple.The programe version I had 3.0.1 bullflight which has been dicontinued so Itunes are refunding my credit card for the full price .

It's not discontinued...

There is an issue with the App server & the development licenses. They have been renewed, and should be back in operation soon. This is according to Mr. Silvers regarding an email I sent him.

Worry not... It's being handled.

for those on a limited budget, iStrelok is free. Not horrible either. Should get you on paper maybe to 600 yds, not sure about 1k though.

Ballistic app just released 2.2 with AD support. I did not see this in the previous versions.

What is Mach in the "Mach or Temp" field in the atoms for?

Used the program Bulletflight this weekend in Arkansas at 525 yards. 1st round hit. The program is dead on. Use the calculate simple and drill it. I think this app is a little easier to use in the field.

2.2 uses Density Altitude...

Bulletflight is well worth the money. Dead on, a little insight goes a long ways.

I have FTE and it was dead on at 500. I haven't had a chance to shoot farther than that yet.

I am pretty new to this so i wanted to know why some of you use 0 in some of the atmosphere fields instead of the actuall data? Im sure more reading is in order.

I have both programs, and have found that both are very accurate, though I tend to use FTE more because I like the range card format better. Both have been dead on from 200 to 1000 yds.