• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistics "Apps".....

Tripwire

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2006
VA
Believe it or not you are reading a post from someone who has just gotten into their first "smart phone". I've resisted and/or ignored the temptation of having one thus far with a high level of success, and it's left me fairly oblivious to all things "smart phone". Now that I have succumbed to the over powering existence of technology I may as well learn to use it.

I know there are ballistics apps out there for these phones and I've looked through the hide's advanced google search, and I've googled around for "apps", but the questions still remain....with the primary que being a resounding....WTF, Over?

So....if I can be pointed to some things that will get me started, I'd appreciate it.

The main question is how do these applications work? Are they like JBM and such where you have to enter everything to get your data or can they be set up on demand for a specific rifle/load and all you need to enter is a few conditions and range? How hard is it to run data for multiple rifles?

When I run something like JBM it never exactly matches what the rifle does in the field, so I prove it out and generate a drop chart for my log book. So I guess the obvious question would be how accurate, or reliable, are the "apps"?

The phone is a samsung android stratosphere 4G LTE......and I'm still learning how to text/call/post on the fucking thing, so be gentle.

Re: Ballistics "Apps".....

Found "Applied Ballistics" in the play store....worth a shit?

Stand down, I got this.....quick learner.

Try Strelok. free app, really great piece of software.

-Paulus

Sean Kennedy's "Shooter" for Android devices is about the best out right now. Normal data needs input, type of bullet, gr, muzzle velocity, your zero, wind speed, then it has options for Coriolis effect (sp?) density altitude, etc.

ETA: First time used entered all my data, guessed the wind since I do not have a wind reader and it was a cloudy cool day, and first shot hit dead center at 400 yards a little to the right which was my fault.

It gives you the adjustments in MIL/MOA/Clicks for average scopes.. Also allows you to adjust shooting angle.

ETAx2: Also, if you do not have a range finder, it has a built in one. If you know the size of your target or steel, you can enter it, and how many moa/mil dots it appears to be in your scope and it will range it for you. Easy to do with a mildot scope and 1/10 clicks.

You can get an IPod touch or IPad to run Shooter. That way you don't have to drain your phone battery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found "Applied Ballistics" in the play store....worth a shit? </div></div>

It's "Shooter" with a few more bells and whistles. It's nice.
tabletkestrell.jpg

Found the Nosler ballistics app the other day..not bad for a free app but not in the same class as shooter. Still, you can download it for free and dick around with it to decide if you want to pony up for something else...

I use Shooter on my iPhone. It works great for me. I really like that you can true it. The only other app I know of that lets you true it is Horus Atrag and thats a $300 program.

The shooter app is on sale for 4.99 right now. I just got it for my iPhone. Its pretty damn nice.

I use FTE, and like it so far, however its only on apple products, and I don't think the developer has any intent to port it to Android. It uses the JBM engine for ballistics calculations though, which is nice.

Just saw a post on FFS (Field Firing Solutions) which runs on windows PDA OS. Really nice description of features. But very pricy at $395. But if you want to fire through a chainlink fence and make sure the bullet goes through the hole and not the fence, it says it can do it...

Can someone that has shooter already download Strelok and compare the two? Tempted to get shooter but would like to know what it does in addition to what Strelok does.

I've got Ballistic on my iphone. I like it, well worth the money to me. Does everything I want it to and stuff that I have no idea what the hell it even is. Has a range log, and stores your favorite loads. Has all the bullets preloaded that I have used so that I don't have to remember this like BC and things like that.

+1 on <span style="font-style: italic">Ballistics</span> by Jonathan Zdziarski.

This is suppose to be the most advanced algorithm application on a mobile device.

I have seen much more mention of Shooter than Mildot Ballistics. Anyone tried both and compared?