• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistics basic on an iTouch question

wielywilly-g

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2010
west central
I am running Ballistics basic on an iTouch. It asks for wind direction angle.
Would that be 0deg for a tail wind and 180deg for a head wind or verse-visa?

I think it is great that it takes into account wind angles other than a direct 90deg crosswind. I just want to know where zero is. I assume it adjusts your drop for headwind or tailwind.

Re: Ballistics basic on an iTouch question

I'm not 100% positive but I think 0deg is equal to 12o'clock...Out of interest, try running the figures through for both scenarios as I have an idea you will get the same results.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">I just discovered the "LOS Angle" button that you can press and then sight at your target and it beeps for 3 seconds, then gets the proper angle. Pretty cool. I guess it's been there from the begining, I just never found it. Check it out if you haven't yet.

Bob</span> </span>

Bob: that is cool as hell. I wonder how accurate it is. I was shooting from my hay loft down to my backstop 100m off and it was -4.8 deg.

Pete: Great news, it makes a difference. I entered some different wind angle numbers and check the windage and drop values.

It is confirmed: A tail wind is 0deg and a head wind is 180 deg. This is a very importaint detail to anyone running Ballistics, no matter if it is an iPhone, iTouch, iPad, PDA...

I would like to know now if there is some kind of fitting routine for it. I have a .22LR and have double verified drops at 5 different distances, but can't seem to get a close match on ballistis when playing with all the variables. It is match ammo with published info so I have a pretty good starting point. It is almost perfect predicting drops on with my .308.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">The unit's ability to measure angles is fairly accurate. It will take some practice to implement it accurately though I think. All in all I like the program quite a lot. There are published updates very often.

Bob </span> </span>

You can also change the way you define wind direction and use the clock, so 3:00 is 90 degrees from the right. I much prefer this. Go to "Settings" on the <span style="text-decoration: underline">Ipod's</span> main menu and scroll down to Ballistic FTE. There are some other parameters you can fool with there as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also change the way you define wind direction and use the clock, so 3:00 is 90 degrees from the right. I much prefer this. Go to "Settings" on the <span style="text-decoration: underline">Ipod's</span> main menu and scroll down to Ballistic FTE. There are some other parameters you can fool with there as well. </div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">I agree. Much easier this way.

Bob </span> </span>

I don't think the basic version gives you that option. I can't find it anyway.

That is ok, I use degrees alomst every day at work and I can call deg quicker and closer than say 8 o'clock.

Knowing what I do now, I should have gotten the FTE version for its large, easy to read scroll wheels. I have to use my reading glasses to read this basic ver. But it was my first iTouch (got it off WOOT.com) and my first app purchase so I didn't want to go too crazy. It looked like FTE version was designed to be used on an iTouch mounted off a picatinny rail and I would never subject electronics to that recoil no matter how good the protective case was.