• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistics Comparison Chart For AR10/AR15 Cartridge and Barrel Length Options

Milirad

Still Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2012
Nevada
I am swapping out some old 308 and 223 ARs with semi custom-builds I ordered to take advantage of the modern cartridge choices and the improved accuracy the best rifle builders are achieving. I’m excited that some of the most accurate gas guns are now getting close to the long range accuracy performance of the best bolt guns with the same chambering and barrel length.

I needed to make some decisions about platform, chambering and barrel length for three different use cases. The tradeoffs today are more complex and nuanced than they used to be 25 years ago when I bought my ARs. This is due to the performance overlap and differences that now exists between the various cartridges for each platform, and even between platforms. One example: an AR15 in 6mm ARC shooting the same 108 gr high BC bullet as an AR10 in 6mm Creedmoor or GT, where the same performance can be achieved with a short barrel AR10 vs a long barrel AR15. Another: better terminal performance, wind drift and ammo availability of 6.5 CM vs lower recoil and better bullet drop of 6 GT.

To help make decisions I created the attached detailed long range ballistics performance comparison chart with some observations. I am sharing this in case it helps someone who needs to make similar decisions, or simply finds it interesting. The pros around here know all about this, but I hope this way of documenting some of the pertinent tradeoff information might be helpful to average shooters like me.

I narrowed down the options to the following in the comparison:
* AR15s in 6 ARC and 223 with barrel lengths from 16" to 26" (for completeness, not because I would build a 25" AR15)
* AR10s in 6.5 CM, 6 GT and 6 CM with barrel lengths from 16" to 26"

The chart is probably best read with a PDF viewer because when printed out the document is dense and fonts are pretty small. A printer with good resolution and a magnifying glass, or good eyesight, will also work. I didn't want to make it complicated with a multipage format, hence the single page density.

Attachments

• Modern Cartidge Comparison for AR10 & AR15 Builds Jan 19 2023.PDF
    136.7 KB · Views: 156
For those on cell phones, here's a JPEG of the PDF attached to the OP.

Modern Cartidge Comparison for AR10 & AR15 Builds Jan 19 2023.jpg

Pretty neat. I’ll have to read through this on a bigger screen. But it seems to justify my 22” 6.5CM gasser build.

Reactions: Milirad
That’s great work. Wish you had included
.308 Win with 175 SMK
6.5 Creedmoor with the new 147 grain Hornady the Mil is using in AR10/SR25 platforms
And
5.56 with 77SMK as well
Ok, good suggestion. I’ll add those cartridges and re-post. Thought about them but had already ruled them out for these builds so didn’t take the time. I agree it will be interesting to compare. I’m traveling this week so it will be a while before I can post with additional cartridges.

By the way, I’ve been told by my rifle builder that the Hornady 6.5 CM 140 ELDMs and some other factory options are more accurate in their AR10s than the 147 ELDM, so that’s why I used 140 instead of the 147 that has superior BC. I also find that in my bolt 6.5CM rifle factory 140 ELDM and 143 ELDX both have better groups that 147 ELDM. Incrementally better ballistics doesn’t mean much on a miss, and I need all the accuracy I can get from rifle and ammo to leave as much margin as possible for my armature enthusiast wind calls and shooting abilities :)

The Hornady 6.5 CM 147 ELDM would be king with that great BC if Hornady can get their act together on bullet, charge and seating consistency. I understand some lots shoot well and others don’t. I only tried one and gave up.

Reactions: Keith E.
We have a bunch of the 147’s coming to try in a few rifles. I will let you know how it shoots but military likes it

Reactions: Milirad
Great. That cartridge can be the winner if they spend the QC effort to make the bullets more consistent.

I am swapping out some old 308 and 223 ARs with semi custom-builds I ordered to take advantage of the modern cartridge choices and the improved accuracy the best rifle builders are achieving. I’m excited that some of the most accurate gas guns are now getting close to the long range accuracy performance of the best bolt guns with the same chambering and barrel length.

I needed to make some decisions about platform, chambering and barrel length for three different use cases. The tradeoffs today are more complex and nuanced than they used to be 25 years ago when I bought my ARs. This is due to the performance overlap and differences that now exists between the various cartridges for each platform, and even between platforms. One example: an AR15 in 6mm ARC shooting the same 108 gr high BC bullet as an AR10 in 6mm Creedmoor or GT, where the same performance can be achieved with a short barrel AR10 vs a long barrel AR15. Another: better terminal performance, wind drift and ammo availability of 6.5 CM vs lower recoil and better bullet drop of 6 GT.

To help make decisions I created the attached detailed long range ballistics performance comparison chart with some observations. I am sharing this in case it helps someone who needs to make similar decisions, or simply finds it interesting. The pros around here know all about this, but I hope this way of documenting some of the pertinent tradeoff information might be helpful to average shooters like me.

* AR15s in 6 ARC and 223 with barrel lengths from 16" to 26" (for completeness, not because I would build a 25" AR15)

The chart is probably best read with a PDF viewer because when printed out the document is dense and fonts are pretty small. A printer with good resolution and a magnifying glass, or good eyesight, will also work. I didn't want to make it complicated with a multipage format, hence the single page density.
Nice work, thanks.

Keith

Thanks for the data OP. Anyone here have a formula to work the numbers for high elevation?