• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistics of 7.62x54R and 7.92x57 ammo

I took some original German 1940 production 7.92x57 out on one of our (Hornady) doppler radar range trips last year and the G1 BC on the German 8mm was in the .545 ballpark. Drag variability was kind of poopoo and had a couple hang-fires but the drag profile for the projectile is actually pretty impressive for how old it is.

Drag variabilties of very low drag bullets is known to be generally higher (from shot to shot) than drag of "normal" bullets (same caliber and bullet weight). In the past, that was more problem than nowdays, when manufacturing process is brought closer to the perfection

Decades ago, Norma made an 8mm Hollow-point target projectile that was reportedly based on the sS 198gr projectile. Din Collings RIP told me that it was an excellent bullet. I suspect that obtaining a packet of those projectiles would be almost as difficult as finding .577 Rewa ammo!