• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Balls & Strikes Called By A Machine

DarnYankeeUSMC

McCarthy Was Right
Minuteman
  • Mar 18, 2012
    In your head
    Is this what is really wanted? Arguing with the ref and complaining about bad calls is part of the game. Who are you going to throw popcorn at? Everyone wants the game to be called accurately but to what extent?

Utter and absolute bullsh-t. There are certain things about tradition that can't be improved by technology. Baseball is one of them. Even when a bad human call determines the outcome of a game or even the World Series. There is always next year, the next game. Our Son played high level Junior hockey. He was a goalie. Once he froze the puck and as he handed it to the Referee he said " Hey Ref. that's the worst call I've ever seen". The Ref's reply " Wait till you see the next one. It's a game someone please stop all the nonsense

I wonder how much of this is due to an umpire shortage? Legitimate question. Parents for 20 years have been encouraged to put their kids in lacrosse and soccer and other shit sports.

Baseball was wiped out in our town 10 years ago because there wasn’t enough interest and parents literally called it white persons game and that it was not culturally sensitive. (Our schools are 99.9% wasp… with the only black kids generally being adopted from exclusive islands by women who want to brag they are like Angelina Jolie and Madonna. So they switched over to lacrosse because it was woke. And looks better on an Ivy Leagur application, being oh so Choate and snooty boarding school.

20 years on who’s going to be coaching Little League? Who’s going to be umpiring? Something or somebody has to call the games. I think it should be humans. I think these robots are as stupid as the ones I now see being advertised to replace police. Because that’ll end well. But where are you going to find them? When their entire sport has been turned into something kids refused to play. Or at least parents refuse to let their kids play it.

All part of trying to destroy anything all American. You don’t think kneeling at games and trying to wipe out the NFL is by accident do you?

Sirhr

Reactions: TACC
    They have been using it for a while in the lower grade minors, so it's gradually moving up the food chain.

No issue with AI umps whatsoever. The world changes…some things better some worse. I personally think removing the tradition of bitching moaning and kicking dirt would be a good thing. Baseball played well requires way more intelligence and athleticism than most realize. Remove a BS variable and concentrate on the art! This kind of tech would be fantastic for the sport in terms of games as well as practice. If you think baseball is dead…come visit Georgia!

I quit watching football when the players decided they didn't need to stand and cover for the national anthem.

I quit watching baseball when MLB took for allstar game away from Georgia for trying to reform their voter registration laws.

The only vote I have left is how I spend my time and money.

I don't think that outside of a world series final game here and there I have ever sat and watched a game on TV. Going to the stadium is different. We have a minor league team 30 miles away and those are some enjoyable times with the kids. You can spend the evening at a minor league game for less than the price going to a movie.
    You gotta be brain dead to sit and watch a baseball game anyway.

I find it puzzling as hell that this bothers people. The Olympics has been at the forefront of this kind of movement, using more and more advanced automation in terms of timing and providing referee oriented data, for decades. The company I work for is involved in one end of that so I have something of a front row seat. If electronic means of providing yes/no answers bothers you you might be a Luddite. I personally am a Luddite even though my entire professional life has seemingly been a ceaseless repudiation of that internal position. I live with the contradiction by remembering that just because I don't like the rules of the game doesn't mean I'm not already playing it and so I don't have a choice but to play it according to the rules that are in play. Those winging on about how technology is making the game somehow less interesting might do well to take a step back and wonder for themselves if they're not trying to play a game by a set of rules that the game never specified as being in effect and if it might not be wise to reevaluate some of their tactics accordingly.

I wonder how much of this is due to an umpire shortage? Legitimate question. Parents for 20 years have been encouraged to put their kids in lacrosse and soccer and other shit sports.

Baseball was wiped out in our town 10 years ago because there wasn’t enough interest and parents literally called it white persons game and that it was not culturally sensitive. (Our schools are 99.9% wasp… with the only black kids generally being adopted from exclusive islands by women who want to brag they are like Angelina Jolie and Madonna. So they switched over to lacrosse because it was woke. And looks better on an Ivy Leagur application, being oh so Choate and snooty boarding school.

20 years on who’s going to be coaching Little League? Who’s going to be umpiring? Something or somebody has to call the games. I think it should be humans. I think these robots are as stupid as the ones I now see being advertised to replace police. Because that’ll end well. But where are you going to find them? When their entire sport has been turned into something kids refused to play. Or at least parents refuse to let their kids play it.

All part of trying to destroy anything all American. You don’t think kneeling at games and trying to wipe out the NFL is by accident do you?

Sirhr

Finish it use robot players.

They probably will use robot players soon.

Ever see a computer brain kid try to play outfield.

They are doing everything but thinking how they will react for the next play...should they throw to third, make a move to freeze a runner, where will be the cutoff.....

It is total boredom for their computer speed minds.

I like the idea of baseball, what it is supposed to be in "Sandlot" or "Field of Dreams".

The world has shrunk to an uncomfortably small size and time has been sped up to a level that things of that old world wont survive in the new one.

I would really like to see ALL the fucking Hollywood actors be replaced with CGI .

Reactions: BLEE
    Old Fat Blind Men should protest , did the OFBM Union say if they would strike .

Sirhr
    Man, thats fuc't up. I was reminiscing this morning in my semi-woke slumber of my time as a Little League pitcher, my best pitches, my most crucial strikeouts with bases loaded.

As far as the virtual signalling Angelina Jolies and Madonnas, there are plenty of those Karens in Austin that like to go on the news about some perceived injustice toward their kid and at the end of the report virtual signal proudly that their child is bi-racial or is some starvin' Marvin adopted from some 3rd world shithole where Ebola is the country's only product, and therefor the problem is close minded Americans and racism.

I started watching post season BB because my young buddies play and love it. I had been on a one man boycott of pro sports, music and movie industry for 30+ yrs.
    I give 2 shits about their careers, but I can see this system used in playoff ball. Lots of coin on the line, pitchers careers end on bad calls and homers given up after being put in a shitty count by an ump.
    Irrelevant here, but anyone who remembers the kirk gibson homer, remembers who threw the ball also.

I find it puzzling as hell that this bothers people. The Olympics has been at the forefront of this kind of movement, using more and more advanced automation in terms of timing and providing referee oriented data, for decades. The company I work for is involved in one end of that so I have something of a front row seat. If electronic means of providing yes/no answers bothers you you might be a Luddite. I personally am a Luddite even though my entire professional life has seemingly been a ceaseless repudiation of that internal position. I live with the contradiction by remembering that just because I don't like the rules of the game doesn't mean I'm not already playing it and so I don't have a choice but to play it according to the rules that are in play. Those winging on about how technology is making the game somehow less interesting might do well to take a step back and wonder for themselves if they're not trying to play a game by a set of rules that the game never specified as being in effect and if it might not be wise to reevaluate some of their tactics accordingly.
    By that same logic, does using digital range finders, wind meters, thermometers, scopes, make shooting less interesting. To me the real challenge in LR is to have enough experience (I dont) to be able to do all that stuff with your own senses.

Asking for a friend.

Reactions: 10ring'r
    If Tennis can have a “robot” call in and out, then baseball can have a robot call balls and strikes. Blind-ass umps can go ref little league...

I would really like to see ALL the fucking Hollywood actors be replaced with CGI .
    Then we can have Gary Cooper, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood in the their prime. Maybe scripts can be written by bots, maybe it'd be better than the drivel out from film makers the past few years. All sarcasm, aside, keep the bots out of those things like sports, arts, etc.

Is this what is really wanted? Arguing with the ref and complaining about bad calls is part of the game. Who are you going to throw popcorn at? Everyone wants the game to be called accurately but to what extent?
    Keep the bots out of sports and facets of life that are human in their essence, like sports and music. Let the bots do dangerous/hazardous work stuff. With the absence of sense, today, before long you'll have bots that identify as human, competing against humans in all areas of human life. One day we'll wake up and realize we're living in a world like in the movie, Blade Runner.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tchitcherine
    62cxee.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    I quit watching football when the players decided they didn't need to stand and cover for the national anthem.

I quit watching baseball when MLB took for allstar game away from Georgia for trying to reform their voter registration laws.

The only vote I have left is how I spend my time and money.
    “The only vote I have left is how I spend my time and money.”

We are losing that as well.

You're kidding right? Have you not paid attention? They excluded fans for a year. Then they required you to get injected with an expirement and show your papers. Prices went up when they opened up to limited seating. Now most of the league doe
    sn't speak English and the stands are now filled with record attendance.
    Fuck Robert!!! And fuck robots in baseball too!! MLB fans will revolt, they will lose so much money it won’t last a month if they try it in the Bigs!!
    The sheep don't revolt. They do what they are told and like it.

You're kidding right? Have you not paid attention? They excluded fans for a year. Then they required you to get injected with an expirement and show your papers. Prices went up when they opened up to limited seating. Now most of the league doe
    sn't speak English and the stands are now filled with record attendance.

The sheep don't revolt. They do what they are told and like it.
    Who can afford NFL, MLB, or most pro sports as a family event, any more, anyway. Live pro sports are entertainment for the wealthy, any more.
    That's how society has been training people for the past 50 years. Don't fight, no matter what. Follow the rules, without question, even if the rules violate natural law and are based in fallacy. Sheep is what we have.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
    The game has certainly changed over the years. As a former pitcher what goes on at the plate IS the game .The hitters are padded up like hockey players while being allowed to lean and pull a fast ball off the plate over the fence .All the while a pitcher not getting the inside corner, BULLSHIT !!! . The likes of Angel Hernandez or Joe West behind the plate is so pathetic they call pitches by sense of smell,that changed my mind about automation.What has to established in the game again is that there is a batters pitch one that gets hammered,and the pitchers pitch one that can't be hit. The pitchers are not getting the high and tight calls leaving only way to go ,the barrel of the bat. Now if one is a traditionalist the first pitch pulled off the plate requires the next 95mph fastball at his throat ! And I had one.Yep I still love the game,it is pure,people have corrupted it like we do everything else !

Reactions: 37L1 and Dot3
    The game has certainly changed over the years. As a former pitcher what goes on at the plate IS the game .The hitters are padded up like hockey players while being allowed to lean and pull a fast ball off the plate over the fence .All the while a pitcher not getting the inside corner, BULLSHIT !!! . The likes of Angel Hernandez or Joe West behind the plate is so pathetic they call pitches by sense of smell,that changed my mind about automation.What has to established in the game again is that there is a batters pitch one that gets hammered,and the pitchers pitch one that can't be hit. The pitchers are not getting the high and tight calls leaving only way to go ,the barrel of the bat. Now if one is a traditionalist the first pitch pulled off the plate requires the next 95mph fastball at his throat ! And I had one.Yep I still love the game,it is pure,people have corrupted it like we do everything else !
    I like the game again too now that relationships forced me back into it. I had always assumed the umpire would be wired to call pitches if it did go electronic. Still need an official around the plate for 2 in row to the throat pitches and plays at home. Losing the epic ejections and manager tantrums over pitches will be a huge loss to the game, most are more fun to watch than hockey fights today.

i think framing pitches is part of the catcher's skillset. it takes that away and will emphasize offense even more.
    personally i like it the way it is, but hardly watch baseball anymore anyway so my opinion matters little.

Reactions: Dot3
    Baseball has to be the only sport where fans think that subjective calls are better than objective rulings. Maybe they should set up a judges’ table and score the game based of form.

For those old enough th recognize and remember.

62dscf.jpg

62dsr5.jpg

62dt8b.jpg

62duaz.jpg

I will warn anyone that thinks this is a good idea right now.

The human error factor is actually an enjoyable part of the game and once gone, is something you actually miss as it is replaced by some faceless, soulless thing.

European football has had a thing called VAR for a few years now. It's 'virtual assistant referee' and isn't even a computer AI or anything like the ball/strike computer is, bur rather an extra referee sitting in some box somewhere with everything on video, who then, once 'something' happens in the game then reviews it from 50 different angles to determine if some sort of rule was broken along the way.

The initial intent was to just have it available for when goals were scored, or if there was an extremely close call on the field. Now its devolved into fouls, free kicks, literally every goal is 'held' until its checked, etc.

It has slowed everything down and involves itself in the outcome of games way too much, to a sense that its changed the outcomes of so many games, that its a fucking problem.

Basically a team scores, there's initial celebration and then everyone stands there waiting for conformation from the VAR. It's fucking retarded.

Maybe they could have the Ump behind the plate watch the telecast, with the strike zone highlighted for them…

Remember what Soupy Sales said:

"I took my girlfriend to see a baseball game. I kissed her on the strikes and she kissed me on the balls."

Got him some time off.

Do you still get Kicked-Out . For getting Drunk. Heckling and throwing Beer on the Robot ?

• Haha
    Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
    Remember what Soupy Sales said:

"I took my girlfriend to see a baseball game. I kissed her on the strikes and she kissed me on the balls."

Got him some time off.
    Lock the thread this was the winner ^^^^^^^^^

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    Do you still get Kicked-Out . For getting Drunk. Heckling and throwing Beer on the Robot ?
    Nah, the robot just zaps you with his light sabre. Problem solved. Whats left become 'Ballpark Franks'.

Yep, keep changing shit. It works. People in NASCAR know.
    Glad I was able to see some great games in Cleveland. Cleveland Indians that is. Huh, guess I'm old now.

Yep, keep changing shit. It works. People in NASCAR know.
    Glad I was able to see some great games in Cleveland. Cleveland Indians that is. Huh, guess I'm old now.
    And now your children and grandchildren will never know that feeling, just like with the liberty we've lost.

Reactions: canman
    Bob Gibson.