• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes BANG for the BUCK scope????

chase16

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Fort Smith, AR
Hi, I'm new the hide, but glad to be here. I'm looking for a new scope for my .308. It definitely needs to be a mil-dot of some sort and preferably have parallax ajdustment and mil/mil turrets.
When I say bang for the buck, I mean around $400ish tops. I understand if I won't be able to get everything I want on a scope for $400ish, but just give me some suggestions.

Thanks

Chase

Re: BANG for the BUCK scope????

Tell ya what, I just picked up one of the Vortex scopes (the $499 Midway one) from another 'Hider.

Looks like a very nice scope. Havnt shot it yet, but might take it out today.

I would take that vortex anyday, but I haven't seen one on the classifieds yet. How much did you get yours for? How does the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam compare to the Millett TRS-1? It seems like most of the TRS-1's for sale on here are mil/mil and I plan on buying used anyhow.

a lot of people bash the millets but for a lower end scoope i have had good luck with them on plinking rifles

i even ran a LRS-1 Millett on my barrett 50 for a while with no return to zero problems but i do think the vortex is a better optic than the trs but more expensive as well

Kind of hard to go wrong with SWFA's straight 10x or 6x for that price range...and leave a few $'s for caps, shade, ARD etc...

SWFA SS Scopes

I'm a fan of the weaver grand slam. Although if you could still find one a nitrex scope is a crazy bang for the buck at closeout prices.

At that price range figure out what you want and wait to pounce on a good used deal. Here or on Barfcom. Your gonna want some magnification with .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chase Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would take that vortex anyday, but I haven't seen one on the classifieds yet. How much did you get yours for? How does the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam compare to the Millett TRS-1? It seems like most of the TRS-1's for sale on here are mil/mil and I plan on buying used anyhow. </div></div>

Guy had a pair of em for $420 each. Shoulda grabbed em both. I think at $499 from Midway theyew still worth it. Only thing they dont have is FFP.

Clicks are solid, glass is clear, has 16 mils of total travel, and focuses as close as about 20 yds.

I've had the Midway special 3-10x40 Weaver for a while, and it's excellent for the money. Clarity is better than you might expect. Unsure about how precise the clicks and reticle calibration are. It would be one of the best values.

I also recently got a SWFA SS 6x42 and it is definitely also a lot of scope for the money (I'd suggest the 10x for a .308). Feels more rugged than the Weaver and I like the rear focus. Obviously, it's a fixed power scope.

About 6 months ago I snagged a Burris MTAC 3.5-10x42 on Ebay for under $400, I think it was some kind of marketing experiment by the company (forgot who). That is another great value, if you can find it within your price range. At the more usual price of $450+ it's getting close to some nicer scopes like the SWFA 3-9x42 and the Viper PST options.

Burris' Mtac is still below $400 and is quite a value. G2 mil reticle, matching 1/10 mil turrets (can run capped or exposed), good glass. My only gripes are the adjustable objective for parallax and the touchy eye box. Certainly a good buy for the dollar.

Leupold's VXR in 2-7 and 3-9 are in the $400's and are very nice. Great glass, illumination, 30mm, several reticles (TMR is slightly more I believe). Worth taking a look at, Very good value.

Good luck-

chase,

my weaver tactical 3-15x50 hurt my feelings when i compared it to my nightforce 3-15x50 mil-spec f1, as far as glass and finish for less than half the price. it's around 600.00 at optics planet a little more than your 400.00 price range but well worth it. the nightforce is definetly the better scope but shocked how close the weaver is. good luck.

Falcon Menace 4-14. Have one and would buy again. Never owned a SS from SWFA but heard nothing but good things. Alot of people dislike falcons, but im glad i had it before i heard the haters. Definate clicks, tracks well, Mil/Mil First Focal Plane and im happy with the clarity for the $.

And welcome to the Hide.

Those nitrex tr-2 scopes are a lot of bang for the buck.

Thanks for all the info. How far do you think I could reach out with a 10x like the weaver grand slam? Does anyone else have any experience with the falcon scopes? That seems like a great deal. Thanks again

I cant say how far out you can go with the weaver and a 308 but I can say I have one and for a while I had it mounted one a 458 socom . I run the elevation nob up and down many times dialing in the mortar like trajectory of a 300 grain bullet traveling 2000 fps to 300 yds they always returned to zero and were always precise. it now resides on my rock river 308 and gets me out to 400 yds pretty easy. that is the farthest I can or need to shoot in my neck of the woods with the reality being more like 75-200 yds. I would consider one of these s opes and use the rest of my money on a good solid base and rings .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chase Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, I'm new the hide, but glad to be here. I'm looking for a new scope for my .308. It definitely needs to be a mil-dot of some sort and preferably have parallax ajdustment and mil/mil turrets.
When I say bang for the buck, I mean around $400ish tops. I understand if I won't be able to get everything I want on a scope for $400ish, but just give me some suggestions.

Thanks

Chase </div></div>

I suggest you buy my LNIB Pentax (aka Burris, USA made) LS30 (i.e. the equivalent to their Black Diamond with 30mm maintube). 6-24x50, mildot reticle. 70 MOA of internal adjustment. Side parallax. Garish Pentax logo on the ocular assembly. $449 shipped in the USA.
grin.gif

To reiterate: Pentax LS30 6-24x50 with mildot reticle. Google it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: para1505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the price you are asking about? Just save longer you will be happier in the end </div></div>

Screw that "thinking". Get in the game NOW. Practice will make you proficient. If you need a car, do you want to save for the McLaren P412C or should you buy a Honda Civic for now and get out in the world? Don't let other people spend your money.

I've kicked ass in matches with gear that cost 1/3 of the bling stuff other guys brought. Get gear that is good enough. There is a TON of it out there, for not a lot of money. And I'm not saying that just so you'll buy the scope I mentioned in another post. Seriously.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chase Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When I say bang for the buck, I mean around $400ish tops.</div></div>

Perfect timing with your post, im in the exact same situation.

Take this with a grain of salt but so far I'm happy with the BSA tactical 4-14 FFP mil/mil. I have 3 of them on air rifles and a 22 mag. They track well to 10 mils which is important to me. Everything else about the scope reflects the $250 price. Midway has a good warranty on them otherwise I probably would never have tried one but I'm glad I did.

The untested part of the equation for me, which I'm hesitant about with these scopes, is how it would hold up on a centerfire with some recoil impulse. Worse came to worse if it broke you could just send it back and get another one.

Study up on the advantages of FFP scopes which will help in your decision.

Read the reviews I think you'll be surprised.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/...d-reticle-matte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell ya what, I just picked up one of the Vortex scopes (the $499 Midway one) from another 'Hider.

Looks like a very nice scope. Havnt shot it yet, but might take it out today. </div></div>

Look forward to a review after you take it for a run.

Weaver is a great brand and has what your looking for. Happy [scope] hunting.