• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bangor Maine, what to see on a short over night trip

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    I'll be in Bangor on a quick hit in and out next week.

Any good gun shops, surplus shops, shit to see in the immediate area?

Restaurants with good food?

Thank you Streetcop.

Family did BarHarbor last year. Great for time.

On the one road in there are two good sized gun shops almost side x side.

Will be a little bit out of my AO for the one I have to spend there.

May end up only being a one day trip.

Maybe I'll hit Kittery Trading on the ride home.

7% tax though makes Massachusetts cheaper to shop unless something is on good sale.

Yea, LL Bean is always worth a stop too.
    Since your short on time try McLaughlin's in Bangor, they should have some good food there.

Yea, LL Bean is always worth a stop too.
    Since your short on time try McLaughlin's in Bangor, they should have some good food there.

McLaughlins I'll keep in mind.

Wish it was Portland I had to go to. No scarcity of great restaurants there with a Cabelas to kick tires in.

Like those small gun shops though. The two on the way to Bar Harbor are great. Plenty o used guns and filled with historical mil surp stuff.

I used to be stationed up that way. There is a LL Bean store off Exit 187. It’s not a big storeAlso, a great place to eat is Las Palapas off of Exit 187 as well. If you’re into good Mexican food this place is the shit.

There is a place called MAINE Military Supply on the East end of I-395. I don’t remember directions once you get off of I-395, but your GPS will get you there w/ no issues. It’s a military surplus store w/ some decent deals on some things, but not so much on others. It’s worth the trip. They were supposed to install an indoor range, but I left MAINE before it opened.

Dysart’s Truck Stop serves a good meal as well. Their pancakes are pretty good but their coffee leaves a little to be desired.

Once you get down to the Portland, ME area there is a Cabela’s store. From I-95 it is Exit 43 or 45, but I can’t remember which one for sure. There is also a Famous Dave’s there as well. If you’ve never been i I highly recommend the brisket & jalapeño sausage. Famous Dave’s is my favorite commercial BBQ joint. The food is damn good & the beer is always cold. Prices are very reasonable.

If you have questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
    Reactions: pmclaine
    I think Maine Military Supply is the place I stopped at they have a Soviet era Mig of some sort out in the parking lot and if I remember right they opened that range.

Just down the street from them is a shop run by a couple salty guys and they carry GI bring back souvenirs and have the gun racks where you are likely to find a 6 digit Rem 700.

I think last year as we exited 95 to whatever route took us east to Bar Harbor there was some sort of military museum, thought I saw a UH-1 display but didnt think the family would put up with me investigating further.

I saw that Huey too. I never had a chance to stop for the same reasons. I’m pretty sure you’re right about Maine Military Supply. They had just changed locations shortly before I popped smoke.

P7318036.JPG

P7318030.JPG

P7318031.JPG

P7318032.JPG

P7318057.JPG

P7318066.JPG

P7318065.JPG

P7318037.JPG

P7318039.JPG
    P7318035.JPG

I know that said "museum" on the sign, but in truth that sign is on the front yard of Schloss Nitrocellulose.... right?

:D

Coles Transportation Museum.

At the intersection of 95 and 395.

Galen Cole of Coles Transportation/Trucking put it together. It is dedicated to Americana and the docents hold classes to teach kids respect for American history and the way of life.

Galen Cole fought with 5th Armored Division in WWII. The display of the White Half Track is harrowing when you think what his experience was like in one. Dont know how he walked by it without getting sick or crying everytime he did.

The docent told me Galen Cole is still alive. Doesnt sound like he is doing well though. What a great way he has decided to give back.

Note the incoming jet (C141?). Seems the museum is on the flight path of a few mil planes saw a Navy fueler and a C17 in addition.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    Another small private museum in South Portland Maine.

The owner was in attendance setting up displays. States he rents out the hall for free to veterans groups or as use for memorials, wakes of veterans. Its a much bigger interior than my pictures show including a full square bar, a library, grieving room, large reception/conference hall, and storage areas. He is expanding his displays.

Got to love these guys that do this of their own goodness. Place is free, running on donation only.

Impressive collection of original peices. Lots of POW gear from Vietnam much of it signed or brought to the museum by the veteran....

P8018073.JPG

P8018074.JPG

P7318071.JPG

P7318072.JPG

P7318067.JPG

P7318070.JPG

The woman that donated this uniform still comes to visit. The uniform belonged to her father. He was wounded on Saipan. His picture is on the wall over the left shoulder of the mannequin...

P7318068.JPG

P7318069.JPG

........and any of you guys that own those thousand yard hayfields either side of 95 on my drive up and back.......

I'll bring my own ammo and chip in for steel when I get invited.........

Everything I saw was judged on its ability to be a range.