• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BAR Jamming

Helmet

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2012
Central California
My friend has a 30-06 BAR and the shells aren't ejecting every time. He just got it back from shop after having the gas ports cleaned and thinks they messed it up somehow. He also says it's not as accurate now. What's weird is it seams to work fine with heavy bullets but not with the lighter rounds.
I don't have very much experience with auto loaders. Anybody know what the problem might be?

Re: BAR Jamming

I had a similar problem with my Class III BAR but I had a spare trigger assembly which solved the problem.

Pull it apart and make sure the gas piston is installed correctly. Check to make sure the piston rods are installed properly. (They are the flat pieces on top of the ladder looking rods. Be sure they are seated properly in the bolt.)

Clean the chamber.

How old is the rifle? I had this problem years ago and sent it off the Browning. They went through it and replace several springs and some other worn parts in the receiver. I think the service was free because one spring was broken and they have a lifetime warranty.

We are talking about the civillian BAR, Right? Semi auto, hunting rifle?
If not forget what I said.

My friend said he took it back to the shop and they fixed it. They told him that they put in a new extractor, but I find it odd that the extractor was working before he had the gas ports cleaned. He brought it back to the shop before I could look at it so I will never know. In any case they made it right with no charge so he is happy.