• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bare with me! But i need some help.

Ok my cousins boyfriend is comeing home in a few days from iraq.
We are gonna go to a 1000yard range. I have been reading on how to shoot 1000yards for about a year now. But there is so many things that i dont know. Is there a all in one article or something that i can read to help fill in the stuff i don't know.
We both have rem 700 308wins. He has a 700p i have a sps tactical. I load my own bullets so i have ballistic data. I can somewhat read wind and know about the half value quarter value wind direction stuff. I know how to dial the scope.
One thing i dont know if how to properly set my rig up how to level the scope properly. Any information will be helpful.

Thanks,

Shadow

Re: Bare with me! But i need some help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowlid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any information will be helpful.</div></div>Aim high.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowlid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL. Ill do that. What you think aim about 580inches above it?? </div></div>It depends on conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thin there is a thread on here somewhere on setting up your scope but here are a few places that might help too.

Start reading here and it's amazing what you'll find and learn.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812#Post378812

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/setting-up-scope.php

Topstrap </div></div>

Thanks Man i will read it all.

Go out, take your best data based guess, fire ,spot make adjustments and fire again.
Repeat,continue to become frustrated,revel in the accomplishments, brag about it to anyone that will listen for the next month bringing it up in every conversation you have.

Then start finding things that need upgraded in every rifle you own.Look for things to sell to support the habit.

Welcome to the world of longrange!

Skip all the other stuff and just start mainlining heroin, your wallet won't know the difference!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go out, take your best data based guess, fire ,spot make adjustments and fire again.
Repeat,continue to become frustrated,revel in the accomplishments, brag about it to anyone that will listen for the next month bringing it up in every conversation you have.
</div></div>

Don't forget to post pictures of your three shot groups

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go out, take your best data based guess, fire ,spot make adjustments and fire again.
</div></div>

Don't forget to post pictures of your three shot groups</div></div>

First Timer @ 1000? Three Shot Groups?

Aren't we an Optimist!!!

If you do have access to an Iphone or Itouch BULLITFLIGHT has worked very well for me.

Scope leveling. I've used the feeler guage method described elswhere on the site a half dozen times now and it works great.

Do you have a chronograph? With chrono data and the G7 ballistic coeff for your bullet you can use any number of ballistic calculators to get you real close vertically. I've been using the Point Mass calculator that comes with Bryan Litz's book. If you accurately input the altitude (or baro press) and temp the calculators work real well. So, that'll get you there vertically, but the real challenge is the wind.

PM me if you need help with the ballistic calc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robot Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go out, take your best data based guess, fire ,spot make adjustments and fire again.
</div></div>

Don't forget to post pictures of your three shot groups</div></div>

First Timer @ 1000? Three Shot Groups?

Aren't we an Optimist!!!

</div></div>

Hole here, a hole over here and one way over there!!!

Hey dude. Im new to longrange shooting too. I have to ask, I live in NC too, where is there a 1000 yard range??? The closest rifle range to me is 40 miles and its 100 yards.

must have one on the army base out past the jump towers

Fort Bragg- Range 37 on post?

There's a civy "Range 37" off post, off of Hwy. 210, just the name is the same and the instructors/owners are former mil instructors, but I don't know what the range there is. The instructors there would most likely know of somewhere if they don't offer it. Camp Butner perhaps?

just make damn sure you get the 175gr bullets to at least 2600fps or they won't make the 1000yd line supersonic and will keyhole the target if you hit it.

Don't waste your time trying to make the 168s get there.

there are a few other bullet choices that work well but, I've always used the 175gr match king to make the 1000yd line with my 308. I make about 2600fps out of my m1a and, that stays supersonic to about 1060yds.

Other than that, go to JBM and get your dope after getting a good 100yd zero and, get some wind data and learn how to judge the wind ( way easier said than done ) and, you're off to the races.

The main thing about shooting the long yardages is that you can talk about it all day long but, doing is learning and, this is one of those things that really takes practice and experience and, there's really no substitute for range time.

You might take a look at the new 155-156 gr Berger match bullets seated about .020" off the lands. BC to match the 175s, more velocity and less recoil. The 155 Lapua Scenars have been working well for me out to 1,000 but are picky about what barrel they like.

I load with RL-15, CCI primers and Lapua brass. Winchester brass would be my second choice even though it takes a bit more prep for match loads. Varget would be another good choice although the powder burn rate can vary from lot to lot of powder, something to keep a close eye one when openning a new bottle of powder. The old standby, IMR 4064 also produces great results although it is a little temperature sensitive.