• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barker Machine 375ct - any good?

t0mills

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
Arkansas
I currently shoot 338LM, but am looking to purchase a new rifle in 375ct. Was about to order a new Cadex Shadow 40, but a local shop has this thing on the wall for sale. They don't know much about it, other than they purchased a collection and this was in it.
I've looked it over, it's certainly not brand new. Shows some signs of cosmetic wear. Built by Barker Machine out of Montana. Comes as shown in the pic and does include 48x rounds of 375ct.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with one of these. What are your thoughts on the carbon barrel?

Attachments

• 20221214_165549.jpg
    20221214_165549.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 112
Never heard of Barker machine but you’re comparing apples to oranges.

Unknown smith, round count, and so on with an old XLR Evolution stock, what looks to be a carbon barrel, and a Stiller Tac408 (?) vs. a new, purpose-built factory rifle.

I can’t imagine these would be anywhere close to the same planet as far as price goes but personally I would just buy the known quantity if you’re able to swing it.

Reactions: t0mills
I owned one.

Barker (Steve maybe???) was involved with Lawton before they went belly up. It's essentially a Lawton 8000 action. Mine had a Benchmark 10-twist steel barrel and shot pretty OK. When he crowned it I think he used a piloted crowning tool and a hand drill that put a nice gouge in the lands near the muzzle. Once that was corrected it shot the 350 SMKs under an inch pretty consistently.

I think he built about 50 of those things to send to NZ/Australia. Then, he started the "take money, don't deliver" business model and went belly up also.

I owned one.

Barker (Steve maybe???) was involved with Lawton before they went belly up. It's essentially a Lawton 8000 action. Mine had a Benchmark 10-twist steel barrel and shot pretty OK. When he crowned it I think he used a piloted crowning tool and a hand drill that put a nice gouge in the lands near the muzzle. Once that was corrected it shot the 350 SMKs under an inch pretty consistently.

I think he built about 50 of those things to send to NZ/Australia. Then, he started the "take money, don't deliver" business model and went belly up also.

Good info. I figured someone on here may have owned one. Not a lot of info to be found on the google.

Never heard of Barker machine but you’re comparing apples to oranges.

Unknown smith, round count, and so on with an old XLR Evolution stock, what looks to be a carbon barrel, and a Stiller Tac408 (?) vs. a new, purpose-built factory rifle.

I can’t imagine these would be anywhere close to the same planet as far as price goes but personally I would just buy the known quantity if you’re able to swing it.

I hadn't heard of them either. Did a bit of searching and saw some older posts about them though. Definitely not on the same level as the Cadex, no doubt. I could pick this one up for probably $3500, so figured I'd see if they were worth messing with.
From what I'm reading, probably not worth messing with

I paid $3500 for mine new with the steel barrel. I'm guessing the one you are considering has an ABS, pre-Proof barrel???

I paid $3500 for mine new with the steel barrel. I'm guessing the one you are considering has an ABS, pre-Proof barrel???

I only briefly handled it at the gun store, but didn't notice any markings on the barrel. Just noted that it was a carbon barrel. I think they have it marked at $3899, but I didn't get the impression that people were beating down the door for it LOL
So I'm guessing there's some wiggle room there on the price!

I'd courteously offer them $2500 and remind them it is basically being sold "as is" since there doesn't seem to be any current factory support for them and the handloaded ammunition is dubious at best and will need to be pulled own and reloaded ;) for safety purposes. Since they got it as part of a collection - I'd bet you'd be pretty close to their real price.

Reactions: Carole Baskins
I'd courteously offer them $2500 and remind them it is basically being sold "as is" since there doesn't seem to be any current factory support for them and the handloaded ammunition is dubious at best and will need to be pulled own and reloaded ;) for safety purposes. Since they got it as part of a collection - I'd bet you'd be pretty close to their real price.

They might jump on that deal lol

Here's my thoughts:

- The cosmetic wear I could deal with since I do cerakoting.
- The carbon barrel is a concern to me, but perhaps it's because I don't know enough about them. I'm curious why you'd want LESS weight on a rifle like this. I shoot prone and prefer a heavier rifle for magnum calibers.
I feel that I'd want to rebarrel it. Hopefully no issues fitting a new barrel to that action.

Let's say I go back down there first of the week and inspect it closer. Anything in particular you'd suggest checking over?