• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barnes 140 Match Burners?

ken226

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
Both my current 6.5 Creedmoor and my previous .260 shot very well with Hornady bullets. I've been using 140 Amax bullets since I stockpiled before the 2012 election.

I also had some good loads worked up for the Hornady 140 eld-m and 140 bthp, which shoot as good as the Amax did.

I just finished shooting the last of my 140 Amax stockpile. The 140 Amax is no longer manufactured, and the eld-m and BTHP match are completely sold-out everywhere.

I came across a case of 140 grn Barns Match Burners @ Powder Valley. Since they appeared the be the last reasonably priced 140 grain 6.5 bullets in-stock, anywhere in the world, I ordered them.

How are these bullets? Any tips or tricks to getting them to shoot well? Are they consistent?

I tried a box of 140 match burners last year and was able to get this at 100 yards. Didn’t do further testing as I was using eldms.
D3FA4735-7D7D-4491-854F-39465EB7B4D5.jpeg

Last edited:
I would be very happy with that. It's also very very close to my Hornady bthp match load. I used 41.6 grains of RL16 with .02 jump, 2725 fps. Group size averaging about .5"

That's encouraging. Thanks.

Anyone else have any recent experiences with the Burner 140s?

Hopefully will be doing load development with them soon. I've worked up a good load with Hornady 140gr BTHP using Staball, and hope they are similar.

That's pretty funny I run 43.8 StaBall with Horndaddy BTHP....insanely accurate for me been quite pleased with it.

Yeah, the availability and 2 box limits were what made me want to try the Barnes, was able to get 600 in 2 lot numbers and then landed a box of 500. I've got about the same amount of Hornadys.

My sweet spot was just about the same at 43.8 iirc.

I just settled on a load for the hunters challenge next week with the 140 burners. My match load is a 130 eldm but couldn’t really make power factor which is how I ended up with the Barnes. Once I found a good speed node I played with seating depth all the way out to a hundred thou. .015 off was the best, nice tight groups, seems like a good bullet.