• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barnes .308 175 LRX

ykrvak

Sergeant
Minuteman
Anyone shooting this bullet? Want to use this as a hunting bullet in a 30-06 Moon is putting together for me. I know these are pretty long and wanted to make sure a 10 twist will stabilize them. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd recommend calling Barnes, their tech support is very helpful. I wouldn't see why a 10 twist wouldn't though, even the longer/heavier 200gr they said a 10 twist is fine for.

I've been running the 95gr 6mm and love them.

Reactions: redleg1013
Yeah, that’s probably the best thing to do. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t stabilize in a 10, but I’ve heard rumblings that say otherwise. Just trying to do some homework before committing to a twist for the build.

I plugged it into the Berger stability calculator and played around with it a bit. I try to keep my 175s in the 2750 range (Barnes load data with CFE 223 has a published max of 2728 in a compressed load) so I can get a bit further out. Keeping at 2700fps at first the calc gave me a moderately stable result with the default atmospherics, then I adjusted to 1310 (my local) and it went to stable. Then I played with the temp and at 41°F it was JUST stable (SG=1.50) any colder and it dropped to marginally stable, so there's that...

Just went and entered all my data into the Berger stability calc. Never messed with that before. Pretty cool. ? to get out of marginally stable I need to go with a 1-9.5” twist. I’ll have to see what Moon has on the shelf.

I run the 175 LRX in a 20" 10 twist 308 with zero stability issues traveling at 2622fps and am at sea level. I'm sure they'd be fine in a 30-06.