• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barnes Solids

ranger1183

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2006
Whitefish, MT, USA
Has anyone used the Barnes solids in caliber 6.5mm ? I'm looking for people's impressions of the 110 grain solid and the 120 grain tipped solid. Accuracy? Stopping power? wind cutting ability? Opinions on the use of all copper solids verses the standard copper jacketed lead projectiles?

Re: Barnes Solids

Check out: http://www.barnesbullets.com/
There is only one Barnes banded solid in 6.5 mm and it is not tipped. The TSX and TTSX are both expanding bullets. My years of experience with the original X, TSX and TTSX in calibers from .224 to .411 (they are all I hunt with in cartridge rifles) has shown them to be accurate and deadly killers. I have taken three Antelope with the 6.5mm 120 gr TSX at ranges from 100-250 yards. In all cases penetration was complete whether broadside or end to end. two fell dead, the third went 5 yards. In all tests I have seen or read about, they out penetrated any other expanding bullet. If you could get it, a steel core AP bullet would probably do better on glass and metal.
There are IME slightly more accurate and flatter shooting bullets, like the Berger VLDs, but if you want penetration in a commercially available 6.5mm bullet the Barnes banded solid will be unbeatable and there is no speed limit on how fast you can push them. All Barnes also feed fine in gas guns which many VLD shapes do not.

As an aside my 244 H&H (6mm) will disintegrate many lead core bullets designed for the 243 WRA class cartridge about 10-20 yards from the muzzle. I can push the 85 TSX to 3700 and still stay sub MOA. I am anxious to try the new 80 gr TTSX as they are lighter, open a bit faster and have a slightly better shape. Figure they will cut a "Yote" in half.

Now what you didn't tell us is: what is your application? good shooting!