• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Barnes TTSX vs SMK

TattooBlade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Finally got a chance to chase some deer and hogs. Average distance is going to be around 100 yards. Shooting 308, between the two, which do you guys prefer? Any photos? Barnes TTSX 150 or Federal 168 or 175 SMKBTHP?

Thanks!

Re: Barnes TTSX vs SMK

Barnes! At 100yds a good 150sp from a 30-30 would be great.

that is not much of a choice for me...Barnes TTSX is a hunting bullet and the SMK is a match bullet. You can try the Barnes 168 TTSX if you want to stay at the same grain weight. You can also look at the Nosler 165 Accubond as it a nice hunting bullet too.

I'd not fret this one single bit......

For 100 yards, in your scenario, just about any bullet is going to do the job, and do it well....'course shot placement trumps bullet choice EVERY time. I'd probably steer away from the 168 Amax though, if you are ever tempted. The 7 point my son killed last year, via 308, was an internal train wreck with a shoulder shot at 75 yards, lots of blood shot and shrapnel trails.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barnes TTSX is a hunting bullet and the SMK is a match bullet.</div></div>

Well, yeah I'm a firm believer in Barnes when caliber/speed is perfectly matched with bullet weight, but.....

Four whitetail kills this year with a 190 SMK launched at 2850 via 30-06 at, 15 yards, 289 yards, 498 yards, and 602 yards. All wounds were typical of what a comparable TSX would do...30 cal hole going in, mush in the vitals, and a 2" exit hole. No grenade effect, no excessive bloodshot, no shrapnel in the meat, no loss of jacket, etc.

I like the Barnes TTSX. Used them in my .308 and .300 WM and both guns performed so well with each of them. I will try to get pictures up sometime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why must this subject come up weekly during the hunting season? its been asked and answered more times than the Counter Sniper question.</div></div> but it so much fun to always get into this argument of how match bullets kill so well because it has been done so much with great results - SARCASM button is on...

i shoot a match bullet over a hunting bullet everytime because i know exactly where shes gonna go. jesus, why is this such an issue? just shoot what ya know like the back of your hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why must this subject come up weekly during the hunting season? its been asked and answered more times than the Counter Sniper question. </div></div>

What's the counter sniper question?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TattooBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why must this subject come up weekly during the hunting season? its been asked and answered more times than the Counter Sniper question. </div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div>

I see you are new here, so I'll answer these two and a couple others I can think of to save you the trouble and scorn that comes with asking them. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to add any that escape me at this time.

1. TTSX is the deadliest bullet on earth, it isn't even necessary to actually hit the animal in question. A simple "shot across the bow" will suffice, the bullet's seemingly magical jacket and core combination liquefies <span style="font-weight: bold"> ONLY </span> the vital organs of your game leaving venison untouched and even pre-seasoned for perfect grilling.
The Sierra Match King is a loathsome character, known to inhabit filthy dark places near the center of concentric rings on paper. To even consider this alloy-less, unbonded, bastard suitable for hunting will get you laughed out of most hunting camps. There are no less that 10 million well documented cases of SMK's poking narrow, shallow, bloodless holes into every kind of game animal. Since this bullet was designed <span style="font-weight: bold"> only </span> for match shooting, it is scientifically impossible for it to kill anything. It has shown to be ineffective on animals as small as the African Pygmy Mouse. If you have any intention of hunting, stay as far away from these bullets as possible.

2. The Counter Sniper question, YES they are the finest scopes available to humans. It is by some lucky stroke of luck and/or divine intervention that God and congress have allowed this special sale of overstocked military supplies to be sold on the open market. The scopes are worth 3 to 4 times the asking price, so you better get two or three of them if you happen into a stocking dealer. These scopes are in a class all their own, leaving companies like Nightforce, S&B, IOR, USO, Zeiss, and countless others to scratch and pull hair over the rimfire market.

3. The best caliber. Clearly, there is a tie here. The .22lr has to be the deadliest of all cartridges as it bounces around the inside of it intended victim. Its lethal power is only overcome by the .50BMG which is perfectly suited for small and medium sized game (only when shooting the TTSX) Any of the "common" calibers in between are for chumps and suckers, besides, everybody knows a .308 is absolutely useless beyond 600yds.

4.Best beginner LR rifle, Savage, Remington, or a full custom? Well obviously your broke ass cant afford a Savage so its either a full custom or even better you can slap your sister's SKS into a Tapco and top it off with a BSA (or even better, one of your three badass Counter Sniper's) I wouldn't recommend re-chambering your SKS into .50BMG cause you'll have to change mag followers and their a bitch to get outta China. (just tell people that's whatcha did and roll with it, they'll never know the difference)
If you have to go with the second option, (a full custom) just make sure you get something really expensive and complicated. That'll get you range credit with all the other snipers, and make sure you use the term "MIL-spec" alot. It will shrink your groups to sub-MIL at 100yds.

5.Long range hunting, lets assume for a minute that you are not shooting an SKS converted to .50bmg shooting TTSX's. Long range hunting is not for the beginner, and killing animals beyond reasonable distances like 300yds is not only un-ethical, it should be illegal.

6. Mini 14, buy one and keep it with your SKS.

7.Food plots/feeders, <span style="font-weight: bold">DONT</span>, I repeat, <span style="font-weight: bold">DONT</span> question the use of food plots by hunters, there is simply no other way to shoot deer than to coax them out of their day burrows with the promise of sweet and tasty corn.

8. FFP vs SFP, FFP is only necessary in the event of space invaders, so you can place your shot carefully in the center of his martian canopy. For most terrestrial sniper's SFP is more than sufficient, allowing you to spend time thinking what the MIL value happens to be at your particular current magnification. Many a shot has been rushed by a sniper who hastily pulled the trigger after an easy miss calculation with his FFP scope. My advise: KISS.

9.Best reloading setup, Dont waste your time spending big bucks on folks like Redding, Wilson, and the like. I use nothing more than a set of Lee el-cheapo dies, a hammer, two prybars, and an old weight watcher's scale I got at a swap meet. I laugh when I see these assholes with thousands of dollars in reloading equipment, I spent $27.59, and I haven't won a match yet due to my ammunition. Dont get tricked into wasting your SHTF funds.

10. TMR vs. ______, Mmmmkay, this one is actually easy. Have you ever tried to estimate the space between the philtrum on Maggie Gyllenhaal's upper lip through your scope? It practically impossible, at least with a TMR. Remember the Counter Sniper? Yeah, that badass kit has a miniature reticle on the reticle for things just like that, never again will you be left wanting for a reticle with sub-nostril measurements. There are others as well, but the eye relief problems you'll run into with your SKS will render them useless.

11. Stock upgrade. Typically it goes like this:"I bought a new savage but the tupperware stock sucks, what stock can I get for 100 dollars or less?" This is one of those things that makes you look new & stupid, every body knows that a real sniper stock will cost you at least a thousand dollars. Good stocks like Choate, Fajen, and B&C will cost you way over your 100 threshold. Which is why I suggested the SKS, you can get a whole gun for 100 dollars if you look, that's <span style="font-weight: bold"> with</span> a stock!! then after your next paycheck you need to get you a Cheaper than Shit catalog, its packed with good stocks and gear. Steer clear of reputable companies such as McMillan, Manners, HS Precision, ect. they are all Chinese.

I'm sure there are many more, I'll let you know when I think of a couple more. But these will at least help you stay out of some trouble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> SARCASM button is on. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally got a chance to chase some deer and hogs. Average distance is going to be around 100 yards. Shooting 308, between the two, which do you guys prefer? Any photos? Barnes TTSX 150 or Federal 168 or 175 SMKBTHP?

Thanks!</div></div>

At that distance on those sized animals, narrow it down to the two you like the best then flip a coin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TattooBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why must this subject come up weekly during the hunting season? its been asked and answered more times than the Counter Sniper question. </div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div>

I see you are new here, so I'll answer these two and a couple others I can think of to save you the trouble and scorn that comes with asking them. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to add any that escape me at this time.

1. TTSX is the deadliest bullet on earth, it isn't even necessary to actually hit the animal in question. A simple "shot across the bow" will suffice, the bullet's seemingly magical jacket and core combination liquefies <span style="font-weight: bold"> ONLY </span> the vital organs of your game leaving venison untouched and even pre-seasoned for perfect grilling.
The Sierra Match King is a loathsome character, known to inhabit filthy dark places near the center of concentric rings on paper. To even consider this alloy-less, unbonded, bastard suitable for hunting will get you laughed out of most hunting camps. There are no less that 10 million well documented cases of SMK's poking narrow, shallow, bloodless holes into every kind of game animal. Since this bullet was designed <span style="font-weight: bold"> only </span> for match shooting, it is scientifically impossible for it to kill anything. It has shown to be ineffective on animals as small as the African Pygmy Mouse. If you have any intention of hunting, stay as far away from these bullets as possible.

2. The Counter Sniper question, YES they are the finest scopes available to humans. It is by some lucky stroke of luck and/or divine intervention that God and congress have allowed this special sale of overstocked military supplies to be sold on the open market. The scopes are worth 3 to 4 times the asking price, so you better get two or three of them if you happen into a stocking dealer. These scopes are in a class all their own, leaving companies like Nightforce, S&B, IOR, USO, Zeiss, and countless others to scratch and pull hair over the rimfire market.

3. The best caliber. Clearly, there is a tie here. The .22lr has to be the deadliest of all cartridges as it bounces around the inside of it intended victim. Its lethal power is only overcome by the .50BMG which is perfectly suited for small and medium sized game (only when shooting the TTSX) Any of the "common" calibers in between are for chumps and suckers, besides, everybody knows a .308 is absolutely useless beyond 600yds.

4.Best beginner LR rifle, Savage, Remington, or a full custom? Well obviously your broke ass cant afford a Savage so its either a full custom or even better you can slap your sister's SKS into a Tapco and top it off with a BSA (or even better, one of your three badass Counter Sniper's) I wouldn't recommend re-chambering your SKS into .50BMG cause you'll have to change mag followers and their a bitch to get outta China. (just tell people that's whatcha did and roll with it, they'll never know the difference)
If you have to go with the second option, (a full custom) just make sure you get something really expensive and complicated. That'll get you range credit with all the other snipers, and make sure you use the term "MIL-spec" alot. It will shrink your groups to sub-MIL at 100yds.

5.Long range hunting, lets assume for a minute that you are not shooting an SKS converted to .50bmg shooting TTSX's. Long range hunting is not for the beginner, and killing animals beyond reasonable distances like 300yds is not only un-ethical, it should be illegal.

7.Food plots/feeders, <span style="font-weight: bold">DONT</span>, I repeat, <span style="font-weight: bold">DONT</span> question the use of food plots by hunters, there is simply no other way to shoot deer than to coax them out of their day burrows with the promise of sweet and tasty corn.

I'm sure there are many more, I'll let you know when I think of a couple more. But these will at least help you stay out of some trouble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> SARCASM button is on. </div></div> </div></div>

lmfao!!!!!!!!! this MUST be stickied to the hunting section. it MUST

I dont know, there's alot more in there than just Hunting advise.
Jewels of information for the serious tactical marksman.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

8. FFP vs SFP, FFP is only necessary in the event of space invaders, so you can place your shot carefully in the center of his martian canopy. For most terrestrial sniper's SFP is more than sufficient, allowing you to spend time thinking what the MIL value happens to be at your particular current magnification. Many a shot has been rushed by a sniper who hastily pulled the trigger after an easy miss calculation with his FFP scope. My advise: KISS.

9.Best reloading setup, Dont waste your time spending big bucks on folks like Redding, Wilson, and the like. I use nothing more than a set of Lee el-cheapo dies, a hammer, two prybars, and an old weight watcher's scale I got at a swap meet. I laugh when I see these assholes with thousands of dollars in reloading equipment, I spent $27.59, and I haven't won a match yet due to my ammunition. Dont get tricked into wasting your SHTF funds.

10. TMR vs. ______, Mmmmkay, this one is actually easy. Have you ever tried to estimate the space between the philtrum on Maggie Gyllenhaal's upper lip through your scope? It practically impossible, at least with a TMR. Remember the Counter Sniper? Yeah, that badass kit has a miniature reticle on the reticle for things just like that, never again will you be left wanting for a reticle with sub-nostril measurements. There are others as well, but the eye relief problems you'll run into with your SKS will render them useless.

11. Stock upgrade. Typically it goes like this:"I bought a new savage but the tupperware stock sucks, what stock can I get for 100 dollars or less?" This is one of those things that makes you look new & stupid, every body knows that a real sniper stock will cost you at least a thousand dollars. Good stocks like Choate, Fajen, and B&C will cost you way over your 100 threshold. Which is why I suggested the SKS, you can get a whole gun for 100 dollars if you look, that's <span style="font-weight: bold"> with</span> a stock!! then after your next paycheck you need to get you a Cheaper than Shit catalog, its packed with good stocks and gear. Steer clear of reputable companies such as McMillan, Manners, HS Precision, ect. they are all Chinese.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> SARCASM button is on. </div></div> </div></div>

Very well written. That shit is hilarious. I hope everybody was taking notes.

Epic post....LMAO!

Tattoo,
I started hunting in an era where bullet failure was fairly common. Common in fast magnums, but not so at 308/30-06 velocities.
I think you need to consider why you want to use a TTSX on deer?

Plain old cup and core bullets seem to work perfectly at the velocities you will be pushing them...Hornady is my favorite, but I have used SMKs with great success on moose, black bear, and deer.
They are a little more explosive on moose (with a reduction in penetration and a bit more internal destruction). I restrict shots to broadside on large game.

I see no real advantage to an expensive premium bullet in a 308 on deer.

After reading a certain post on this thread I had to scroll up to remember what it was originally about.LOL. Cold Bore you need to become a writer. I mean you already are but money can be made here. WOW.

Honestly. I don't know of any thirty caliber bullets that won't kill a deer. Hell, my grandma used to shoot at em with a 22 to get em out of her garden and me and gpaw had to bury the bastards. Overgrown rats really. Not hard to kill. SHOT PLACEMENT...PERIOD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TattooBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally got a chance to chase some deer and hogs. Average distance is going to be around 100 yards. Shooting 308, between the two, which do you guys prefer? Any photos? Barnes TTSX 150 or Federal 168 or 175 SMKBTHP?

Thanks!</div></div> in 308, i would go with 130 TTSX

Out to a 100 yards, just about any hunting bullet will give you a clean kill on deer & hogs.
I try to have the 168 SMK, the 165 SGK & the 168 TTSX loaded to have similar POI out to about 350 yards for simplicity's sake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ofelas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I try to have the 168 SMK, the 165 SGK & the 168 TTSX loaded to have similar POI out to about 350 yards for simplicity's sake. </div></div>

Wouldn't it be much simpler to just shoot one bullet? One load, one POI.

I am shooting the 130gr ttsx in .308 at 3187fps. Waiting for deer season. Or a good place to shoot a hog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ofelas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I try to have the 168 SMK, the 165 SGK & the 168 TTSX loaded to have similar POI out to about 350 yards for simplicity's sake. </div></div>

Wouldn't it be much simpler to just shoot one bullet? One load, one POI. </div></div>

I use SMK for pest control.
I wouldn't use it on moose or bear.
I use one rifle for just about everything, so different loads work for me.

I shoot whatever is more accurate, and that usually is the TTSX for my gun.

I would love to just use the 175 Smk. Here in commifornia we have lead restrictions.