• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barnes VOR-TX .300 BLK Blackout ** Identification Help / Scam? **

Louis_Friend

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2020
USA
Any info and/or help is appreciated.

I recently bought a quantity of Barnes VOR-TX in 300 Blackout, from two different sellers on GB. I thought nothing of it until I opened the second Seller's shipment and noticed distinct differences in the brass. Now I'm questioning, maybe, the integrity of the first Seller.

As is depicted in the photos, the first purchase contained brass all stamped "R-P." The second purchase contained brass all stamped with the Barnes name brand. Also, the "R-P" brass has a coating of some sort on the end, right were the firing pin would strike. The Barnes-stamped brass has no such coating.

Also somewhat odd is the fact that the "questionable" first purchase has many boxes where the SKU label has been removed with a razor knife, see the photos.

Honestly, I'm totally unknowledgeable in the world of reloading, hence this post / question. Is it possible my first purchase, the "R-P" stamped brass, are all reloads and not factory-made Barnes VOR-TX? Or did Barnes use such 3rd party brass at some point in the VOR-TX lifecycle?

It just strikes me as strange that there are different head stamps between the two separate purchases, some of the SKU labels have been removed on the suspect batch and that colored coating on the end. Also, the boxes are somewhat different in their labeling / wording and the suspected "genuine" Barnes-stamped rounds came encased in what appears to be a Barnes factory cardboard box (with the Barnes white ID labeling on the outside). Conversely, the suspect RP stuff came with just the Barnes 20-round boxes.

Hopefully someone out there with more knowledge can examine the photos and chime in. Again, maybe I'm totally off here and the RP was just a specific production run using outsourced brass, but the differences between my two purchases, considering the prices I paid, are a bit alarming.

Any help and/or information the community may be able to provide is GREATLY appreciated. I just want to make sure I didn't get scammed and pay a premium for fired and reloaded brass ... Which may not even be authentic Barnes bullets to boot. HELP!! Thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20201112_055554521.jpg
    PXL_20201112_055554521.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20201112_060015120.jpg
    PXL_20201112_060015120.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20201112_060122584.jpg
    PXL_20201112_060122584.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20201112_061415706.jpg
    PXL_20201112_061415706.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20201112_061456747.jpg
    PXL_20201112_061456747.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20201112_061515333.jpg
    PXL_20201112_061515333.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 93
The red stuff is primer sealer. It is meant to keep moisture out. Not many people use it in reloading, and often you will see the bullet sealed at the case mouth as well (Golden tiger russian ammo is sealed at both ends for long term storage).

"R-P" labeled brass is Remington brass - I used a box from a buddy who shot some Remington factory 6,5CM.

Having the SKU removed in itself is not suspect - usually they make you send that in for any rebate offers. Is there still a lot number on the box, or has that been destroyed as well? If you find a lot number, you can call Barnes and ask them.

Barnes and Remington were owned by the same parent company before the Bankruptcy auction. All the Barnes ammo I've ever seen used Rem brass- so I wouldn't worry about that. Probably just a older lot before they started getting branded brass.

Both are legitimate, just very different lot numbers.

Guys, I can't thank you enough. I was really stressing over this purchase. As you may well know, these rounds are going for stupid numbers on GB right now, and I just had to pay the market price for the product I wanted. I'm happy to hear these are legit. Many thanks.

Speaking of Barnes ... With the new acquisition, is there any talk / speculation as to when they may start producing again? And more broadly, do you guys see this ammo "crisis" getting better or worse over the coming months?

Your insights are appreciated. Thank you.