• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel advice

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
Hey all, looking for some advice from more experienced guys.

I am finally, after years of shooting a R700 in 308, moving up to a built rifle.

I have decided on a zermatt origin and will be going with a 6.5CM chamber.

I am certainly no gunsmith, and even with a prefit, will be having someone else turn the barrel on. I do not shoot prs or anything competitive , this is simply a long range target gun for me, although I’d prefer it not be a boat anchor.

The vendor I’m working with can get me into a 8twist SS proof heavy Palma (blank) and origin actions for $1200 along with $375 to chamber and install.

Or a origin action plus proof carbon fiber sendero 8twist prefit for 1675$ plus install.
Which route do you suggest I go? Or is there anywhere I can get it cheaper (or better options) ?

Ideally I’d like to be at a 24” med Palma profile.

Again, this is my first true build, and I’m looking for some experienced answers.

Reactions: Digetydog
It’s not so much about saving weight for me. The cf proof is a prefit , the blank is a ss proof . After chambering and threading, they come to about the same price…. That’s my question.

Both will wear out at around the same rate all things being equal. I know guys running CF at high rate of fire matches although they are far fewer than SS

I run a CF Bartlein and id run another if i ever need to get my rig under a certain weight point for a comp or series…

That said i feel my SS barrels from Medium Palma to straight taper are a more forgiving and easier to shoot for extended periods of time.

I would go SS if this is a prone gun. Would consider CF only if i need to hike with (which i do) / hunt (which i dont)

Reactions: Simonsza1
If he can get a carbon prefit and a steel blank, he should be able to get you a steel Prool prefit, which will save you $150 or so over his blank plus labor.

No time like the now to learn how to put this stuff together. Do it yourself. Easier than putting together the AR-15

Hey all, looking for some advice from more experienced guys.

I am finally, after years of shooting a R700 in 308, moving up to a built rifle.

I have decided on a zermatt origin and will be going with a 6.5CM chamber.

I am certainly no gunsmith, and even with a prefit, will be having someone else turn the barrel on. I do not shoot prs or anything competitive , this is simply a long range target gun for me, although I’d prefer it not be a boat anchor.

The vendor I’m working with can get me into a 8twist SS proof heavy Palma (blank) and origin actions for $1200 along with $375 to chamber and install.

Or a origin action plus proof carbon fiber sendero 8twist prefit for 1675$ plus install.
Which route do you suggest I go? Or is there anywhere I can get it cheaper (or better options) ?

Ideally I’d like to be at a 24” med Palma profile.

Again, this is my first true build, and I’m looking for some experienced answers.
I've been running a Proof SS .264" 7.5 twist barrel in MTU (I think they actually call it M24 but its much like my Bartlein MTU) and its been a great barrel. Its run a bit fast and between the barrel and the chambering (Paradym Gunworks in OK) its been very accurate.

Just a data point for you....YMMV but my one experience with Proof SS barrel has been excellent.

Reactions: Terry of illinois
For all that money you want a 308 that’s going to go more or less limp past 700ish yrds?

Just get a tikka tac 308 for less, or build up a long range gun

He can get me a steel proof prefit. However it’s a 26” competition contour which I’m afraid is just going to be a boat anchor.

To above post, it will be a 6.5 creed

Reactions: Haney
He can get me a steel proof prefit. However it’s a 26” competition contour which I’m afraid is just going to be a boat anchor.

And at least I’m told proof only makes prefits I’m comp contour. Per the vendor.

Maybe that’s a good point. This is strictly a fun gun for me. I like to hit the range and shoot at distance, it’s not a hunting gun nor is it a prs gun.

I guess the reason for being hesitant, is this is the first time I’ve dove into a gun of this financial caliber and want to make the right decision. For me, this is a lot of money.

Reactions: moosemeat
The other thing that has crossed my mind, is that I live in NJ. Finding a range over 500yds is nearly impossible.

Would that make a decision in your caliber selection? I could do a 308 and get a lot more barrel life, especially since I will likely never encounter 500+ yds.

The other thing that has crossed my mind, is that I live in NJ. Finding a range over 500yds is nearly impossible.

Would that make a decision in your caliber selection? I could do a 308 and get a lot more barrel life, especially since I will likely never encounter 500+ yds.

No, do a 6.5.

If you're limited to 500 yards, I would give some consideration to the 6 arc, 6.5 Grendel or 224 Valk.
A 24 to 26 inch sendero weight barrel will get you extra velocity, plenty of weight without being overly heavy and all three of those cartridges give better performance than the .223 with less powder, less recoil and longer barrel life as compared to the Creedmoor class of cartridges.

If you're limited to 500 yards, I would give some consideration to the 6 arc, 6.5 Grendel or 224 Valk.
A 24 to 26 inch sendero weight barrel will get you extra velocity, plenty of weight without being overly heavy and all three of those cartridges give better performance than the .223 with less powder, less recoil and longer barrel life as compared to the Creedmoor class of cartridges.

500yrds my stock tikka tac 308 was more than happy, yoyodave $10 spring and very nIceee

Recoil wise with the little bastard brake, it was a non issue, and more than accurate shooting cheap M80 at steel

If you will never shoot over 500 yards and $$ is a factor, .223 should be considered. Then you get the longer barrel life and lower ammo cost.

I took my new-ish .223 build (Terminus Apollo / Bartlein 5R 7-twist / TriggerTech Diamond / MDT ACC) to a range yesterday that has steel out to a mile. My first two shots with Hornady 75gr ELDMs at ~2900fps hit a .2-mil-high truing bar at 875 yards - I was astounded. I was also putting rounds on IPSC plates at 985 and 1040 yards. Until yesterday, the longest distance I'd shot it was 540 yards, at which the rifle can hold 3" or better in calm conditions, but I was really surprised at how well the .223 did at extended range... until the wind came up as outflow from a thunderstorm several miles away, then the light bullets get moved around.

But 500 yards? Fun to plink clay targets at that range. I shoot my .223s 2-4x as much as my 6.5CMs, which I mainly save for matches... but after yesterday, I may consider entering tactical class (.223/5.56x45 or .308/7.62x51 only) in future matches. Good luck with whatever caliber you choose.

Under 500 yds fun gun I would go with a 22LR custom. All the cool challenges of a centerfire at 1K+. Lot tested ammo puts you at 5” or less 10+ shot groups at 300. Or build a BR rig for 100 if that’s your kink.

Reactions: TurboTrout
I’m kind of leaning towards the 223 idea. That makes all of sense.

If I were to go that route, being a factory ammo shooter, would you go 1:8 twist?

I’d like to occasionally shoot varmints at distance with it as well.

Reactions: moosemeat
I’m kind of leaning towards the 223 idea. That makes all of sense.

If I were to go that route, being a factory ammo shooter, would you go 1:8 twist?

I’d like to occasionally shoot varmints at distance with it as well.
And what barrel profile would you go with?

Bugholes-Easy button! Origin with a Bartlein of your profile choice installed ~($1675 plus shipping).

Owen at Front Range is GTG too, but somewhat limited to what he has on hand. His recommended smith does quality work and now has his
own website at:

Good luck with your choice, one rifle is never enough!

Regards,

TM6

Bugholes-Easy button! Origin with a Bartlein of your profile choice installed ~($1675 plus shipping).

Owen at Front Range is GTG too, but somewhat limited to what he has on hand. His recommended smith does quality work and now has his
own website at:

Good luck with your choice, one rifle is never enough!

Regards,

TM6
Where are you seeing this on bugholes? I’ve been looking but can’t find

I would certainly consider Northland Shooting Supply. He has CBI prefits for the Origin action. He'll have 6.5 CM chambered barrels already ready.

His prefits are Savage prefits and will be installed with a barrel nut. It is DIY and literally about 15 mins. There are a ton of YT videos showing you how to do it.

His prefits are $325ish. Some tools and go/no go gauge, you're still around $450. And you can use the tools again in the future.

I reached out to front range again. I can do a prefit proof 24” sendero CF for the same price as a 26” heavy Palma as proof. Which would you go with?

For a 223.

I thought the same thing with weight at first + suppressor, but for what I do which is shoot in one spot I love mine. Just put 2nd Proof prefit comp 26" on last month....and my back up to this one arrives today from @Front Range Precision! Owen is great. I think whatever you choose you'll be pleased with the Origin/Proof prefit.

Last edited:
Maybe that’s a good point. This is strictly a fun gun for me. I like to hit the range and shoot at distance, it’s not a hunting gun nor is it a prs gun.

I guess the reason for being hesitant, is this is the first time I’ve dove into a gun of this financial caliber and want to make the right decision. For me, this is a lot of money.
In that case stop worrying about the barrel being too heavy and go w Proof’s Comp or anyone’s MTU or M24.

Oh, also….NJ isn’t a very big state so I recommend you don’t make decisions base on max distance at ranges there only and limit yourself.

As this is a range gun go with the 26 inch palma. As you are tight on funds go .223 and save a ton on ammo.

223 comp contour proof prefit from owen at Front Range

can still build a full rig in the 14-16 pound range pretty easily or go as heavy as you want

For factory ammo options, is 1:7 too fast? Looks as though the proof prefits for 223 are only in 1:7.

I’d like to shoot some varmint rounds as well and hunt with this as a 223 as well.

1:7 will work just fine for loads over 62 grains, it may over spin cheaply constructed lightweight bullets.
Your intended purpose calls for heavy bullets in the 70+ weight range in particular the 75 and 77 variety, of which there are numerous factory loads.

Steel Heavy Palma
I reached out to front range again. I can do a prefit proof 24” sendero CF for the same price as a 26” heavy Palma as proof. Which would you go with?

For a 223.
+1 on the steel Heavy Palma

for plinking, you want a thicker heavier steel barrel to offset heat to keep your barrel from walking/throwing shots as it heats up

If he can get a carbon prefit and a steel blank, he should be able to get you a steel Prool prefit, which will save you $150 or so over his blank plus labor.

No time like the now to learn how to put this stuff together. Do it yourself. Easier than putting together the AR-15
Get a viper vise, action wrench, torque wrench, and a good hi temp synthetic grease. Once you R&R your first barrel that AhHa moment will hit you so hard you’ll have to sit down! 😝

Reactions: Hkmiller
I just swapped my Proof CF for a Proof SS M40 contour. My 6.5CM is more for the bench and prone distance gun. Since I’m not lugging it around to hunt or PRS I wanted heavy as hell to watch for splash at distance. That was my thought process. Wanting light weight when you aren’t humping it 5 miles is a moot point. Heavier is better for a static shooting in my mind. Add a good break and you can watch your impact at almost any distance.

I shoot a lot of .223 at distances of 600-1000 yards. I prefer a 30 inch 1:7 heavy Palma or bull barrel. I’m shooting 90 gr. At 2750 FPS. There’s a very informative article called Mouse On Steroids. I’m just a plonked but here is here is a picture of two groups at a thousand.

Attachments

• 20CCB639-7ED6-4571-9F8D-476952E5F4ED.jpeg
    20CCB639-7ED6-4571-9F8D-476952E5F4ED.jpeg
    535.9 KB · Views: 28
Back the original question.
Origin + Proof CF Sendero in 6.5 and don't look back. For a fun gun, You'll never be sad with that combo.