• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel advice

Fatorangecat

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2012
Amanda, Oh
I currently have a 16 SS proof barrel on an AR that shoots great but it weighs 2 lbs 8oz. From a bipod it’s phenomenal but I’m considering a VSeven fluted barrel to have something lighter. What other light weight precision barrels should I be looking at or should I stick with the heavier barrel?

I have not studied the AR barrel market lately but you should not have to accept a heavy barrel to get accuracy. The extra weight will help with prolonged strings but should not stop you from getting a replacement. Hell even my CL barrel will shoot MOA much of the time. My Geiselle barrel shoots great but others have not had such luck.

PB

Several good ones out there…Bartlein, etc. But for a semi-custom that you can get very light with some radical fluting, I’ve had very good luck with Black Hole Weaponry barrels…very accurate too.

If lightness is the overarching goal, Faxon’s pencil barrels are hard to beat and “accurate enough” for 99% of my needs.

V7 barrels are very light and very accurate (I only have two though, so small sample size), but you‘ll pay $$

I have a V7 LW fluted 16" 556 and have been amazed by the performance. For load development I slapped a G3 on top and the barrel is ~3/8 @ 100. Even hot, she was still a half inch. My regular med distance spot was 465 yds, and there she would go right at 2" consistently off of bags without wind, or easy 10/10 on the 5" plate off a bipod. Now with the load dialed I run a lightweight lpvo, but nice to know the accuracy is there. Don't hesitate buying from V7.

Appreciate the feedback, I’m not really interested in a carbon fiber barrel. I have looked at a lot of “lightweight SPR” barrels and most come in right around the 2lb mark which is heavier than I would swap my current barrel for. The VSeven fluted barrel would be very lightweight and from what I have seen very accurate. For those of you running lightweight barrels do you get much movement off a bipod? I understand how to load a bipod but sometimes I shoot in awkward positions or off barricades that aren’t great for a stable shooting position.