• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Blanks advice!

Trebormen829

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2021
Los Angeles
Looking for some good blanks for my 223 project rifle. Just got the nucleus gen 2 ( thanks ARC) 😊
Mainly for plinking up to 600 yards.
I don't reloads maybe someday. KRG
Bravo on the way. $350 is the budget here. Bartlein, Krieger, Proof?
Any? Went to my LGS they have bunch of 223 from 55gr to 75.
What a good standard twist for those ammo?
Thanks appreciate the help.
Robert

Last edited:
Any of the top-line producers will be fine, Brux, Hart, Benchmark, Criterion, McGowen (cut-rifled) are more options. 7 twist is fine for those bullet weights. Not required for the 55gr, but solid for 75 and heavier.

People crap on McGowen but they have plenty of happy customers on here, Benchmark is right down the road from me, Deep South Tactical who spins up my barrels lately typically has Hart blanks on-hand, you can get anything you want basically and $350 is pretty much exactly what a non-carbon, non-MOD BB blank costs these days. All the high-end ones perform great.

Reactions: Trebormen829
Looking for some good blanks for my 223 project rifle. Just got the nucleus gen 2 ( thanks ARC) 😊
Mainly for plinking up to 600 yards.
I don't reloads maybe someday. KRG
Bravo on the way. $350 is the budget here. Bartlein, Krieger, Proof?
Any? Went to my LGS they have bunch of 223 from 55gr to 75.
What a good standard twist for those ammo?
Thanks appreciate the help.
Robert
Blanks...as in ammunition that does not launch a projectile, blanks?

Perhaps not the term you were looking for?

Lots of good choices already mentioned. Who's going to spin your barrel?
I gunsmith who built my ar10...
It's either get a prefit or barrel blanks that he can chambered for me.. I'm leaning towards barrel blanks.
Any of the top-line producers will be fine, Brux, Hart, Benchmark, Criterion, McGowen (cut-rifled) are more options. 7 twist is fine for those bullet weights. Not required for the 55gr, but solid for 75 and heavier.

People crap on McGowen but they have plenty of happy customers on here, Benchmark is right down the road from me, Deep South Tactical who spins up my barrels lately typically has Hart blanks on-hand, you can get anything you want basically and $350 is pretty much exactly what a non-carbon, non-MOD BB blank costs these days. All the high-end ones perform great.
I'll check em out sir thanks!

Reactions: KnowNothing256
I would call ARC and see if they have a barrel in stock that you could use with your Nucleus action or who can make you a shoulder pre-fit for it. If you go the route of a shouldered pre-fit for it, you will not need a gunsmith to install it, just some basic tools. GO/NO-GO gauge, action wrench, barrel vice.

I would go with a 1:7 5R twist or may be a 1:7 3R twist that is any ware from 16" to 20" long for what you want to do.

I’m going to ignore that you changed the title and make the joke I was thinking about:

Why are you asking us about shooting blanks? Talk to your urologist…
1638409887218.gif

But back to the thread. Osprey blanks from PVA are $350, those are getting pretty awesome reviews

Patriot valley still has their black friday sale on their website. 223 prefit ready to rock for $479. Heck of a value if you're looking at $350 for a blank + $300 to chamber and thread it. If you're just "plinking up to 600 yards", a quality blank chambered by a quality smith will be more than you need. PVA has both at the right price.

Agree with above, but came to tout Shilen - broke in a 223 VLD chamber 7.5 twist on Sunday with 80 eld-m's - first 50 rds in the 2's and 3's from 22.75-24.5 grains of N540 from 200-400 yds. Gonna be a great barrel.