• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Blanks

usmc_prs

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2023
Pennsylvania
I am planning on building a bolt gun rifle to compete in matches in the future. I am looking to get a barrel blank and contour and chamber it myself. My question is, when I get the blank, should I expect that the blank (just the cylinder) has been turned on center by the manufacturer?

For those that have gunsmithed barrels before, do you prefer it to be turned on center so the contouring is done on centers? Or, do you prefer to put it in a chuck, true the blank and then machine it?

Is there a common expectation for what I will receive when I purchase my blank in the future?

Thank you all for your help.

That is always an option and something that I have done in the past. I kinda want to take it to the next step and contour it first.
Very few gunsmiths can finish contour the barrel without it being a hassle etc...and or it's not worth they're time.

The vast majority of the shooters ordering barrels are getting them finished contoured. Then the smith just threads, chambers and cut and crowns etc...

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Reactions: DIBBS and Baron23
If you are going to "contour" yourself a taperless profile is the easiest to do; like the ones Preferred Barrel does. Otherwise you have to offset the tailstock and run low speed and feed depending on how heavy your lathe is. With a CNC Lathe and correct cutter you can run a program and it can take only 9 minutes or less, depending how much material you're removing. Doing it manually is an overrated experience in my opinion. Like years ago when I made a wood stock from a blank with hand tools, never again, I only ordered duplicates after that.