• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel blew apart.

nostyta

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2009
Rural Retreat, Virginia
Not for sure if this belongs here but this happened to a friend this past weekend while sighting in his rifle before this upcoming rifle season. I'm going by his statement I was not present at the time, so this is all I know, I did however see the end results.

Rifle was a Remington model 700 ADL in .270 cal.
Rounds were Remington factory loaded 130 gr. accutips.

He said rifle was cleaned the night before and boresighted in (by visually looking through the bore)just prior to shooting and there was no abstruction in the barrel. It's not a new rifle and has been shot before with one incident of a primer being blown out.

Remington has allready been contacted and the rifle will be sent back to them for further inspection to determine what happened.
Figure I'd share this, it is something I've never seen happen before. Friend was not injured, but may be requesting he also get reimbursed the price of a new pair of drawers.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

Re: Barrel blew apart.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking too. It looks pretty bulged and there is a whole lot of copper right there.

Wow, that sucks. Glad your friend is ok, I'm interested in what Remington says about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Burnsie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Squib on the round before? </div></div>

Yep, I'd be checking the ammo as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know.....kinda looks like there musta been an obstruction near the muzzle to me. </div></div>

+1. Look at the difference in color and the bulging. Hmmmmmm...
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Burnsie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Squib on the round before? </div></div>

Yep, I'd be checking the ammo as well. </div></div>

Remington requested remaining ammo be returned with the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know.....kinda looks like there musta been an obstruction near the muzzle to me. </div></div>

+1. Look at the difference in color and the bulging. Hmmmmmm...
shocked.gif
</div></div>

That's the first thing I thought when I seen it but as stated before he said there was no obstruction, I have no reason not to believe him.

How would he know if there wasn't an obstruction? Did he look down the barrel directly before the shot? There are bulges and stuff caused due to water and small debris, but a complete blowout that is nearly sure to be some sort of an obstruction. The 'squib' round before hand my be possible if that instance wasn't his first shot of the day.

I don't know your buddy, and you weren't there, so anything talked about here is pure speculation, but what in the world could stop a bullet moving down the barrel with that much pressure behind it at that point in the barrel if there wasn't some type of an obstruction?? If it was some kind of pressure or chamber problem, I think it would leave other evidence than a split barrel....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's the first thing I thought when I seen it but as stated before he said there was no obstruction, I have no reason not to believe him. </div></div>

As to a reason not to believe him, I could think of a couple, but I definately wouldn't want to discuss the whole instance very much if I were banking on Remington to reimburse me for anything. I will be curious to see what Remington determines.

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's the first thing I thought when I seen it but as stated before he said there was no obstruction, I have no reason not to believe him. </div></div>

As to a reason not to believe him, I could think of a couple, but I definately wouldn't want to discuss the whole instance very much if I were banking on Remington to reimburse me for anything. I will be curious to see what Remington determines.
</div></div>

I think you hit the nail on the head there DD.

Looking at the end it does appear to be a lot of copper and the initial point of buldging and then rupture.

I hope your friend is ok and sorry to see that happen to a rifle. I would very much like to hear what Remington has to say about this.

He said it was factory loads.

Here is something else that makes me think. If I send an old gun that has functioned properly in the past maybe over several years of service, and the ammunition that I was using, which happens to be manufactured by the same company. If they are indeed liable for this accident, I have now given them possesion of all 'evidence' of their liability. What is your buddy going to do if they send back the pieces and say, "there was an obstruction in the barrel that was outside of our control, this is what caused the barrel to rupture.." Or something along those lines and refuse to compensate or fix your buddy's rifle for free?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would very much like to hear what Remington has to say about this.
</div></div>

I have a feeling it's going to be along the lines of "you're fucking kidding, right?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't it a standard on guns that they don't cover any liablity on reloads in guns. </div></div>

Normally yes but this was reported to be factory ammo, and trust me they can tell if it was and if it wasn’t.

This does look like an obstruction at the muzzle.

The only reason why I stated the handloads is it had a blown primer before. I never had factory ammo do that. If the gun was shot with handloads before under lot of pressure. Wouldnt that weaken the barrel even if shooting factory loads now.

My cousin had this happen to him about 14 years ago. It took off part of his left hand due to something in the barrel. He got lucky if nothing happen.

The biggest problem here is that they will have little or no motivation to replace the barrel or a complete rifle, especially on an older rifle. So if they can determine that it isn't their liability, then they won't do it. If it was a brand new gun and there had only been their loads through it, maybe different, but my guess is they won't want to fix this problem.

Now that leaves your buddy with a choice, does he accept their refusal or does he try to prove that they are liable. If he has an inkling of doing that, then I wouldn't even send the gun or ammo to them, until I had someone else un-biased look at it. If I could get someone reputible to say with some certainty that it looks like their ammo or their barrel was the problem, then I would pursue it with the company. If you send them all the evidence you are going to be SOL. My guess is though from the pictures you/he will have a tough time finding someone that will state with certainty that there was a defect in the barrel. Proving that the round before this one, was factory under-loaded and caused the bullet to stick in the bore would be exceedingly hard to prove as well...

Maybe Big Green will prove me wrong and feel that public relations is more important than true liability in this instance.

I forgot to also say that even having a letter written to Remington by an attorney will likely cost more than it would cost to rebarrel the rifle.

Please keep us posted on what happens with this!!

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I forgot to also say that even having a letter written to Remington by an attorney will likely cost more than it would cost to rebarrel the rifle.

Please keep us posted on what happens with this!!

Dave</div></div>

Just me, but I don't know I'd rebarrel that action. I'd be to worried about what sort of microscopic stress fractures exist just waiting jump up and bite me at some point in the future. When you're wearing a helmet and it takes a hit, you throw it away and get a new one. That action held up to a major even that could have killed your buddy. The least he can do it show it some respect and retire it.

Ok, I'll add and addendum to my post above. You can buy a new Remington 700 and come out ahead for what attorney fees will cost even getting the ball rolling on this.... I would guess a retainer to be between $500 and $1000

I dont see anything that would point out that this could have been anything but something in the barrel. It does look like a bullet got left in the bore and when the next one was fired it got stuck just a few inches before the muzzle and cause a massive pressure fracture up and down the barrel. There really isnt any way that a over pressured round could cause this. Only way is if there was a stress fracture already in the barrel. Now if he was trying to shoot a larger bullet out of it its impossible to get it chambered without a large hammer or a very very loose chamber...

yep, blocked barrel.

I have never handled a Bolt Action Kaboom before. But have handle/inspected several AR rifles that went Kaboom. out of the ones that were NOT using reloaded ammunition. there were 3 I have seen while being with 2 different companies, all were Remington UMC ammunition. I will not use Remington rifle ammunition. but that is just me. I know people use it all the time with no problem and I have heard others ralk about other ammunition and Kabooms. but I am just going on personal experience.

I would be real interested in knowing what the do about the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell your friend he must remove the bore sighter before firing live ammunition.</div></div>

I'm geussing this could have happened, right? You should ask your buddy where the bore sighter is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaw921</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell your friend he must remove the bore sighter before firing live ammunition.</div></div>

I'm geussing this could have happened, right? You should ask your buddy where the bore sighter is. </div></div>

Something bothered my about the look of the bore at the muzzle - hadn't seen barrels "countersunk" like that. Could a tapered boresight pilot do that?...

Looks like the crack initated at the front sight screw - about where a boresight would reach?

My first thought was excess oil in the bore (a type of "obstruction").

Interested in hearing the results.

Thanks,

Bill

The only time I saw a barrel do this was with a laser bore sighter. Near identical.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell your friend he must remove the bore sighter before firing live ammunition. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

It would have had to been a cup of gear oil to cause that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He said rifle was cleaned the night before and boresighted in (by visually looking through the bore)</div></div>

Pretty hard to have bore sighter part left in barrel when boresighting via the above method huh??

I have seen manufacturers replace with even worse evidence.

I had a customer a few years back who obviously stuck his muzzle in the mud when he was duckhunting. Benelli replaced it for free, just sent him a new gun.

The few times I have dealt with Remington they always did good by me so I say we wait to hear the outcome before we judge

Barrel's a thin one, so if was excess chamber pressure that chamber would have bulged. Probably would be a measureable bulge on the OD within 3 inches of the throat region, as that's where the taper gets you into smaller wall thickness. Also what is interesting is the 'parallel to bore axis' streaking thru the rifling. There was something in that bore.

I was thinking the same thing. Since you said it was bore sighted, I would make sure the bore sight kit has all the .27 cal stubs in it. Maybe just maybe when it was pulled out the stub stayed behind as a little surprise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something bothered my about the look of the bore at the muzzle - hadn't seen barrels "countersunk" like that. Could a tapered boresight pilot do that?...

Looks like the crack initated at the front sight screw - about where a boresight would reach?

Interested in hearing the results.

Thanks,

Bill </div></div>

I'm with you bill, I noticed the "counter sink" in the muzzle as well. I don't clean my rifles from the muzzle, like all of you don't; but it did make me wonder if this is something that could be done over a long period of time from cleaning one that way. I think the crack started on the sight screw as well. I don't know your friend, and I'm not trying to call him a liar; if one of my friends brought me this, I would instantly think someone left the boresighter in the rifle. If he really bore sighted it the way that you said, then that makes me think squib.

OK i have seen a few barrels that blew up one was a target rifle in 308 on my home range the stainless steel batch was found to be faulty and the barrel blew just like this. then a week or so later a brand new Sako 300 Win Mag blew up apparently they had the same steel no one was hurt and rifles were recalled. their was also a post on the Web about a chrome molly M14 that blew the barrel in a similar way very old rifle unknown number of rounds in the thousands and mostly military. their are all these experts here stating definatly a bore sighter how about we sit back and see what happenes. all barrels wear and if you fit enough you will see some sights that make you cringe especialy with older chrome molly barrels that have a lot of rounds through them and if they have had a lack of cleaning that can also contribute but this migh just be that the rifle has fired a lot of rounds the barrel was severly firecracked causing the jackets to tear and gaul then create excessive pressure causing the barrel that had severe firecracking let go.

Why dont we sit back and wait for the end result we wernt there and remington has asked for it back if it is not their fault they will give him his posesions back to do with what he wants but my bet is remington will check the ammo batch and pull some of the loaded ammo and fire the rest through the pressure test barrel then send him a new rifle to make sure that that rifle does not ever get rebarreled. Because if it is rebarreles someone could get hurt and the cost of one rifle to Remington is not worth them getting caught up in legal action either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Burnsie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Squib on the round before? </div></div>

+1.....squib

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mackdrvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throw that shit on the scrap metal pile, and buy a new gun.</div></div>

Exactly.

It's had a long life, some shit happened, nobody got hurt. It's just a curiosity now.

Just be careful that nothing's going on to make it happen a second time.

Talked to my friend today, rifle was bought brand new several years ago, has only had 11 rounds fired through it including the round the barrel split on, all factory loaded REM. ammo.
No bore sighting apparatus was used, he actually looked through the bore, barrel to sight in the scope.
The round the barrel split on was the only round fired through the gun after bore sighting was done.

Again this is from what he is telling me and as I stated before he has givin me no reason to believe him a liar. He himself said if someone had shown him the rifle not knowing what happened his first thought would have been there was something stuck in the barrel.

I didn't start this thread to argue or debate with anyone as to what caused the barrel to split nor to bash Remington, I just found it interesting as I had never seen anything like this in person. Everyone has thier opinion and are entitled to it and I'm not saying any of them is right or wrong as my friend is the only one that knows for sure what happened.

He boxed up the rifle and remaining ammo today including the case of the last round he fired to send to Remington, so when he hears something from them I'll post it up.

I have to admit. I would be tempted to fire one more round thru it just to see how the bullet would fly. It could propbably hit something 45 degrees from point of aim.